• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

S

Show-n-go

How do people feel about coaching makeup for next year in terms of time devoted to the role?

I've always been a fan of having a fulltime head coach but the rest of the assistants coming from super sides

creates continuation through super sides, helps getting everyone reading off the one page and is also great for succession planning with getting successful super coaches opportunities within national setups

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
What I like to see is some dust settling and nerves untangling.

The worst thing for RA to do would be to rush their review of RWC and jam through a coaching appointment. Cheika came in on a very short turnaround before the last world cup; we have months and months before the next test series - find the right candidate, let them build a team and take a measured approach to the next four years.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What I like to see is some dust settling and nerves untangling.

The worst thing for RA to do would be to rush their review of RWC and jam through a coaching appointment. Cheika came in on a very short turnaround before the last world cup; we have months and months before the next test series - find the right candidate, let them build a team and take a measured approach to the next four years.

Based on Raylenes comments this is exactly what RA are doing, and was the main reason they decided to keep Chieka in place last year until the RWC, so they didn't have to rush that process.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How do people feel about coaching makeup for next year in terms of time devoted to the role?

I've always been a fan of having a fulltime head coach but the rest of the assistants coming from super sides

creates continuation through super sides, helps getting everyone reading off the one page and is also great for succession planning with getting successful super coaches opportunities within national setups

I like the structure of having head coach locked in for 3 years + , obviously with performances measures where they can be let go if their win % isn't up to scratch. Players will need to buy into the coaches plan and philosophies as they know he there for the long-term.

In terms of super xv coaches being involved. I'm not too concerned as long as there is communication between the two. Looking at the current crop of super xv coaches, who would the assistants be?

Forwards coach - you could keep the current one as he's doing well, or being in Laurie Fisher, or if Rennie is in he might bring in another Kiwi. Not sure who out of the current super xv would do a better job?

Attack coach - can't see anyone from the super xv lot doing a good job here. Def need to bring a new face in here.

Defence coach - same as above.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
If Wallaby assistant coaches are going to be full-time appointments, I'd like to see them working across all of Australian rugby to upskill other coaches in their area of expertise. Otherwise I can't see the justification for them being full-time. We don't need all Australian teams following exactly the same game-plan, but there's plenty of common basic elements that high-quality assistant coaches could be teaching across the country.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Quite frankly I just don't see how we can possibly go past Vern Cotter. What he achieved with Scotland was nothing short of remarkable, and has a few parallels to Australia's situation, given the limited player pool, small number of professional teams, status as a fading/faded rugby power etc.

Someone who has been as successful as Cotter as an international head coach shouldn't be passed over for somebody with no international experience. I don't doubt Rennie's qualities as a coach, but there's no substitute for runs on the board.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Quite frankly I just don't see how we can possibly go past Vern Cotter. What he achieved with Scotland was nothing short of remarkable, and has a few parallels to Australia's situation, given the limited player pool, small number of professional teams, status as a fading/faded rugby power etc.

Someone who has been as successful as Cotter as an international head coach shouldn't be passed over for somebody with no international experience. I don't doubt Rennie's qualities as a coach, but there's no substitute for runs on the board.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...oaching-career-in-france-20191023-p533ia.html

So essentially it would be a coach swap.....

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Whats peoples thoughts on McCaffery coming into the side, his someone that offers something so different at 6 or 8, personally think his ridiculously skillful.

I like McCaffery's attitude and the hard edge he brings to the role. I'm not sure he is quite as skillful as some of the other options and I think players like Samu, Dempsey etc.. probably offer a little more. Having said that, I wouldn't be adverse to him being given a run to see how he might go. He's the kind of player I could see putting it all out there.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Based on Raylenes comments this is exactly what RA are doing, and was the main reason they decided to keep Chieka in place last year until the RWC, so they didn't have to rush that process.

Believe the decision will be made just before Christmas, right around the Folau court case probably. Be nice with the rugby media focused on something else than that sh*t show.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like McCaffery's attitude and the hard edge he brings to the role. I'm not sure he is quite as skillful as some of the other options and I think players like Samu, Dempsey etc.. probably offer a little more. Having said that, I wouldn't be adverse to him being given a run to see how he might go. He's the kind of player I could see putting it all out there.

He could balance the back-row out nicely if he was at 6 and Naisa at 8. But I still just fear he just isn't strong enough into contact for test rugby.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
He could balance the back-row out nicely if he was at 6 and Naisa at 8. But I still just fear he just isn't strong enough into contact for test rugby.

I have similar hesitations, but he's one that you feel like you'll never know unless you give him a shot. I'll be interested to see how he goes this next Super Rugby season. I think his issue is going to be do they invest in seeing if he has what it takes or go for other tried options whilst you continue to develop the talent coming through. The more competition for spots the better I say.