• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I really want to see Petaia developing the 13 it seems we need! He could be a rare talent.

I totally agree, just unfortunately that means Kuridrani will be left out in the cold as he doesn't fit a bench spot that well. So against Fiji next July we are likely lining up: White 9, To'omua 10, Koroibete 11, JOC (James O'Connor) 12 , Petaia 13, Hodge 14, Beale 15. Bench: Powell, DHP, TBC (someone that covers 10 & 12).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I feel we are thin at 12 too. Unless JOC (James O'Connor) plays there and performs well. Who else is there but rookies?

That's a good point.

Didn't someone post something a few days ago saying they were reviewing overseas players and test caps? The Giteau law could well be revised to the Kerevi law.

If not, Simone could be a serious contender at 12. He's around the same size as TK and Kerevi (not as powerful as the latter) but the guy knows how to throw a pass and has a good punt on him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I totally agree, just unfortunately that means Kuridrani will be left out in the cold as he doesn't fit a bench spot that well. So against Fiji next July we are likely lining up: White 9, To'omua 10, Koroibete 11, JOC (James O'Connor) 12 , Petaia 13, Hodge 14, Beale 15. Bench: Powell, DHP, TBC (someone that covers 10 & 12).

I wouldn't be too sure. New coach might sweep a broom.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Didn't someone post something a few days ago saying they were reviewing overseas players and test caps? The Giteau law could well be revised to the Kerevi law.

This was from the SMH a few days where they interviewed Castle about selecting the next coach.

She also re-affirmed the 60-Test Giteau Law would be reviewed, potentially paving the way for Australian players to be called up for national honours from anywhere in the world, regardless of their experience.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We are looking better than we have for a while, but there is still a few gaps and some players who are still being elevated in this forum on potential rather than performance. Not saying they won’t measure up - I’m actually pretty confident in a number of the guys coming through but guys like Tupou, Fainga’a, Uelese & Dempsey still have work to do IMO, and there is a bit of an opportunity at lock (although I think there is enough quality in the contenders to be confident 1-2 will measure up). In the backs I’d say 9, 10, 12, 14 & 15 are all pretty much in question.

14 is an interesting one. If Vunivalu does end up coming from League, he'd be a serious contender. Wing is one area where you can make the transition quickly (yes, Koroibete had defensive issues in his second season but half of that was being pissed about by the stupid system). Tom Wright is another who could be a bolter. He's electric but has played a lot of junior footy at 10-13 and has a passing and kicking game on him. So actually a guy with game-breaking ability and some fullback skills. When's Daugunu eligible? Best footwork in Australia Rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
All of those guys are possibilities UTG, I agree - and I would expect guys like Maddocks & Banks to continue to improve as well.

In a year or two a guy like Mark Nawaqanitawase will hopefully come into the reckoning as well.

But at the moment none of those guys are anything more than guys with potential.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting interview with Raelene Castle on Radio National.

https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pgeGQ8ROe7

She outlined that they (RA) feel they have done their holistic review (end of last year) and the the changes they have already made (appointing Scot Johnson, securing talent, information sharing with Super franchises etc) will breed future success and that the Scot Johnson lead review will just be a RWC campaign review/investigation.

I wonder if that give some credence to the Rennie almost being a given as the real review has already been done?

She also like many wanted to highlight the success of the U18 & U20's campaigns.

I'd be curious how much of any changes implemented under her tenure would have bearing on the U18/20's or are these the tail of some policies/actions Pulver implemented? I know there were some changes to player release for the U20 team and being eligible post school for U18's so I can see 'some' changes, but I'm obiously not close enough to know if these teams are the result of specific actions or just a period of rare talent that has very little to do with what RA have been doing?
Not sure who was responsible for implementing the change, but the U18’s was more than just allowing 18 year olds who were out of school play .

RA controlled the whole pathway through the Academies. Each Super franchise + WA ran an U18 squad for fairly large chunks of the year and then played games over a 3 month period.

Every lad in the U18 Australian team that beat NZ came from an Academy. Peter Hewitt , with Super Rugby coaching experience, appointed as HC and Jason Gilmore ran shotgun. Gilmore spent the whole time with them from the team being announced right through to running the kicking tee on against NZ .

Scot Johnson even flew back from Japan to be there for the game against NZ .

Gives you some perspective hopefully on how highly RA are valuing the pathway.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Gives you some perspective hopefully on how highly RA are valuing the pathway.

Why on earth would a fan buy into this? Claimed effectiveness of RA requires runs on the board. There are just none. To reiterate - none.

Let's go through this claim in 3 years time, right now I don't know what RA value but it appears to have little to do with rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This was from the SMH a few days where they interviewed Castle about selecting the next coach.

She also re-affirmed the 60-Test Giteau Law would be reviewed, potentially paving the way for Australian players to be called up for national honours from anywhere in the world, regardless of their experience.
It shouldn't be cap based but time served. I think a player at the peak of their career that has won a big contract in France should still be eligible - if after say 5 years in the Australian system they didn't manage that many international caps.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
It shouldn't be cap based but time served. I think a player in the peak of their career that has won a big contract in France should still be eligible - if after say 5 years in the Australian system they didn't manage that many international caps.

Domestic Australian Caps could come into it, minimum Super Rugby + NRC Caps perhaps? At least something to show you've done your time in Australian rugby.

On the other hand you have guys like Brock James that couldn't get a gig in Australian domestic rugby and turned out to be a handy pro player in France. Not sure if you could ever have a system to grab those guys.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Why on earth would a fan buy into this? Claimed effectiveness of RA requires runs on the board. There are just none. To reiterate - none.

Let's go through this claim in 3 years time, right now I don't know what RA value but it appears to have little to do with rugby.
All I’m saying is that it’s a brand new pathway instigated by RA, they have thrown some weight behind it and in a very small sample size of one , it’s been successful.

And yes agree , hopefully still seeing success in 3 years .

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not sure the Giteau law should be relaxed - although it may well turn out to be inevitable in the end.

I can’t help but wonder if we would have a stronger halves combo and some other spots if we hadn’t just stuck to guys who were available for 100% of tests and built combinations around them.

Over the last few years there has been chopping and changing if/when guys like To'omua, White, Genia, JOC (James O'Connor) & TPN were available.

I’m not trying to have a crack at those players specifically - but in hindsight I wonder if we should have made less use of the qualification rules and only picked guys playing in Super Rugby.

It’s all theoretical and it is pretty easy to make an argument that we would have been even worse without White & To'omua in particular but maybe guys like Powell would have come through if we’d been forced to rely on them more.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
South Africa have both their 9 & 10 playing in Europe and it seems not so bad. The problem is if you change the rules all the time and guys returning on short term deals etc. that leads to changes. If you have a consistent rule from say now and that it won't be reviewed until after next RWC then subsequently try to secure your keys players on long term contracts it should be more consistent. It seems the RA is at least trying to do the long term contract approach, which obviously has it pitfalls but at least endeavors to bring consistency.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You know relaxing the rules might actually lead to less players heading oversea's. I can see clubs looking at Australian players less if they think they are going to be released for international games half way through the season all the time.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You know relaxing the rules might actually lead to less players heading oversea's. I can see clubs looking at Australian players less if they think they are going to be released for international games half way through the season all the time.

Cue World Rugby tightening the Test Window criteria to make sure NH pro comps aren't affected too much. ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
All I’m saying is that it’s a brand new pathway instigated by RA, they have thrown some weight behind it and in a very small sample size of one , it’s been successful.

And yes agree , hopefully still seeing success in 3 years .

I understood what you said.

It isn't enough, not by a long shot. And many of us see institutional damage of the game of rugby by RA. Nomad, I don't doubt your sincerity, or even on this issue your accuracy, but "giving us some perspective", well this requires perspective.

Edit: And agreed, let's hope the good leads to future success.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I get what you’re saying - but I doubt that will be the net outcome.