• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I mean I've been calling for Hooper to be moved to the bench for a long while, even if we assume he's 'clearly the best 7' -- personally I'm not convinced. But I'd personally like to see something like 6 Samu, 7 Wright, 8 Wilson with Hooper coming off the bench. I had a look at the season stats and Valetini has only marginally better runs per game (6 to 4) and only 2 meters per run. Actually when considering all the back row options the meters per run are all pretty close Samu has 5, Isi & McReight 3, Wilson and Hooper have 2.5 and Wrigth and Valetini have 2.2. Obviously I'd suggest Samu's numbers get inflated because he's seagulling on the wing, McReight is actually quiet surprising, and Hooper is surprisingly low. Wright, Wilson and Hooper had 12 tackles per game, with McReight having 10, and the others having between 8.5 and 7 per game. Shockingly Wilson topped the lot in turnovers per game with 1.5.

I have thought for -- forever Hooper is almost purpose built to come off the bench. I'd agree Samu and Hooper ideally ought not be played together ideally, similarly Samu and Wright might be better with other partners, but they could likely co-exist as Wright is the more abrasive of the two. I personally haven't really rated Rob Valetini all that highly this year. He's been very close to being 'exactly that guy we need' but the last two seasons to me he's looked to stagnated and his numbers show that, he's middle of the row for meters per run, and runs, and he forced zero turnovers and the worst in tackle percentage off the fewest tackles; I personally feel like Wright gives you all the positives of Rob - plus lineout jumping and more work on the ball.

Also in that Insta video Hooper looked like he's meeting Ala'alatoa for the first time! :rolleyes:

My only issue with Pete Samu at 6 is that he doesn't play there for the Brumbies. His metres gained stat would also reflect his ability to continue to make ground in tackles. Probably one of the best in the country.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My only issue with Pete Samu at 6 is that he doesn't play there for the Brumbies. His metres gained stat would also reflect his ability to continue to make ground in tackles. Probably one of the best in the country.

He does essentially play there in attack though in that most teams run their 6 in the wide channels like the Brumbies do with Samu.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nah. Both Banks and Maddocks have been tried on the wing, and neither passed muster. Wright should have the 14 spot and Koroibete the 11. Fullback a coin toss between Banks and Maddocks.

DHP is still the best 15 in the country, consistently can beat first defender on kick return, something nether Banks (who uses pace on the outside) or Maddocks ( a great whole runner) does constantly

Wright? maybe, but I think they will use O'Conner as the 2nd 15 in defence, Daugunu looks the most threat and has a workrate off the ball to, along with Koro, give the O'Conner & DHP support options

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I'm happy with a solid dependable 15 like DHP. I really don't think Banks has done enough to shift him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
DHP is still the best 15 in the country, consistently can beat first defender on kick return, something nether Banks (who uses pace on the outside) or Maddocks ( a great whole runner) does constantly

Wright? maybe, but I think they will use O'Conner as the 2nd 15 in defence, Daugunu looks the most threat and has a workrate off the ball to, along with Koro, give the O'Conner & DHP support options

In Sept 2020 is this actually the case. Like White he has had little time to demonstrate form. IF his form matched his best then there is a case, he just has not shown it with the limited game time he has had.

I might select him at 15 anyway, combination of international experience, AB experience, mature head in team likely to have plenty of fresh blood, incumbency. But I don't think the case that right now he is the best 15 in the country is particularly solid.

I would possibly start Hodge at 15 (who matches DHP in terms of experience) unless DHP really shines in squad training.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In Sept 2020 is this actually the case. Like White he has had little time to demonstrate form. IF his form matched his best then there is a case, he just has not shown it with the limited game time he has had.

I might select him at 15 anyway, combination of international experience, AB experience, mature head in team likely to have plenty of fresh blood, incumbency. But I don't think the case that right now he is the best 15 in the country is particularly solid.

I would possibly start Hodge at 15 (who matches DHP in terms of experience) unless DHP really shines in squad training.

DHP has looked good on one leg, "if" he is fit, he is out best

He has looked as good as his two main rivals

Hodge? his biggest issue is his flexibility, but like the other usurpers, he lacks the ability to constantly beat that first defender on kick return that gets you through the add line (so the pigs have a better ride)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Daugunu has shown enough this season not to have his chances scuppered by one poor game but it's reasonably close between he and Wright.

I thought Wright was excellent on Saturday night. Daugunu and Koroibete are players you want receiving the ball at the end of the line but Wright can set up a man outside him as well as finish a play. Fraser McReight is a very good cover defender in general but he got absolutely smoked by Wright on a kick return. It wasn't even close, Wright picked him out of the line and said see you later.

If Petaia, who has an incredible ability to stand up a defender, is not at 13 and we're playing a crash ball merchant then I think Wright becomes much more of a chance so we have someone who can chime in and create space for players outside.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Daugunu has shown enough this season not to have his chances scuppered by one poor game but it's reasonably close between he and Wright.

I thought Wright was excellent on Saturday night. Daugunu and Koroibete are players you want receiving the ball at the end of the line but Wright can set up a man outside him as well as finish a play. Fraser McReight is a very good cover defender in general but he got absolutely smoked by Wright on a kick return. It wasn't even close, Wright picked him out of the line and said see you later.

If Petaia, who has an incredible ability to stand up a defender, is not at 13 and we're playing a crash ball merchant then I think Wright becomes much more of a chance so we have someone who can chime in and create space for players outside.

Wright is the closest we have to the 14/15 hybrid (unless Hodge gets the 14), I think it will come down to the defensive pattern, if we play the 10/15 at the back in defence then Daugunu is logical (I like his workrate off the ball and his threat with it), if we play the 14/15 with the 10 in the line them Wright will be the likely option

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wright is the closest we have to the 14/15 hybrid (unless Hodge gets the 14), I think it will come down to the defensive pattern, if we play the 10/15 at the back in defence then Daugunu is logical (I like his workrate off the ball and his threat with it), if we play the 14/15 with the 10 in the line them Wright will be the likely option
That makes sense but I'm a little worried about our attack without Petaia. Absent of Jordie, Wright is the man for me who can receive the ball in a man on man scenario and create an overlap.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If - with an entirely new coaching structure - we start the international season with Reece Hodge on the wing, I will travel to the ARU headquarters and kill myself in the lobby.

Might be taking things a wee bit too seriously

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I don't see why everyone is writing off Daugunu under the high ball etc. He's not been in that role because the Reds to play that way, but he's more than capable under the high ball, he's got a more than adequate kicking game (he's kicked for goal -- he's got a kicking game!).
I agree he's not been playing like that, but he's capable of it.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I don't see why everyone is writing off Daugunu under the high ball etc. He's not been in that role because the Reds to play that way, but he's more than capable under the high ball, he's got a more than adequate kicking game (he's kicked for goal -- he's got a kicking game!).
I agree he's not been playing like that, but he's capable of it.

I think if we're talking about what he needs to deliver at international level, it's not enough to say that he 'can' do those things; he needs to have demonstrated the required abilities at the highest level he's played at. I'm not saying it's fair, but it is reasonable.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Two tip tackles in one season is enough to put a big cloud over his selection.

Can only agree. Love the guy but that first one was outrageous, and I can’t call the second unlucky. He has obviously tried to address it and with some success. He does need to keep that improvement going.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Cheslin Kolbe is 5 foot + change and no-one questions his spot starting in the world cup final.

Hodge gets burnt on the outside, Banks and Maddocks can't defend on the wing, leaving you only Wright as the alternative if it isn't Daugunu.