• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I do get your point, and agree that we don’t want to clutter the thread with endless variations of 1-23, but if we aren’t going to discuss the 2020 Wallabies in the 2020 Wallabies thread, then what do we actually discuss here?

I get your point but if we're not going to discuss the team for the first test thread what do we have that thread for?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
No, I was not aware of that. Apologies for the error. It was just a joke following the post suggesting they'd kill themselves in RA headquarters, which was obviously a joke itself. I'll delete it.

apologies for the over react, caught me a bit off guard with it

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Pretty encouraging the talk from the camp was Rennie is doing a lot of addressing the question "How do other teams want to play us/stop us?"

I doubt Cheika ever thought about that and it showed - often.

I've also picked up on the talk from camp. May be a small nuance, but I also like how Rennie is referring to the players as 'men' and the Wallabies as ' the Wallaby family'.

Similarly, I've enjoyed reading about how Rennie himself selected who would be bunked with who as roommates, particularly pairing senior players with junior players.

Small things like this can have a big affect on team culture.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think Philip will go well on the international stage. He had a good presser yesterday and said some salient points. He played a couple test matches but at the time he hadn't played much super. He says he's a late bloomer in regards to his body and has really grown into it recently. He also looks bloody huge. I've certainly been more impressed with him this year than the past so I reckon he'll be reliable (and probably starting lock).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think Philip will go well on the international stage. He had a good presser yesterday and said some salient points. He played a couple test matches but at the time he hadn't played much super. He says he's a late bloomer in regards to his body and has really grown into it recently. He also looks bloody huge. I've certainly been more impressed with him this year than the past so I reckon he'll be reliable (and probably starting lock).
He’s 199cm but he looks shorter because he’s so solid and doesn’t have that typical gangly lock body. I sure as hell would not want to be tackling him.

Above all his physical attributes is his madman attitude on the field. A couple of crazies is exactly what you need to take the fight to NZ in NZ

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
If anyone can find the clip of him belting Tupou (well, "belting" is a relative term when it's Tupou) can they please share it?

He's got heaps of starch

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
What do people think of Ned Hanigan's future? Is he ever going to be big enough (or play big enough) to be a genuine test lock? or will he forever be stuck in that hybrid 5/6 space?
I think as a hybrid both Samu and Wright are better all-around players and Wright is probably on par with him at line-outs (maybe not quite as good defensively).

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
What do people think of Ned Hanigan's future? Is he ever going to be big enough (or play big enough) to be a genuine test lock? or will he forever be stuck in that hybrid 5/6 space?
I think as a hybrid both Samu and Wright are better all-around players and Wright is probably on par with him at line-outs (maybe not quite as good defensively).

His future? Easting sushi in Japan.

His immediate future? Training hard with the Wallabies providing cover at lock and 6 if we have a bad run of injuries.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The six tests across consecutive weekends in the Rugby Championship could certainly mean a lot of the squad get used. That on top of the fact that it's pretty much inevitable that some of the players that play the two tests in NZ will have injuries.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I think we will see a lot of our young guys getting a run against the Argies for example.

My 'development' Team would something like:
1) Johnson-Holmes?
2) Uelelse
3) Fa’amausili
4) Hosea
5) Hanigan
6) Valetini
7) McReight
8) Wilson

9) Powell
10) Lolesio
11) Ramm
12) Simone
13) Paisami
14) Wright
15) Maddocks

Obviously you'd not necessarily play all of those guys but these would probably be our 'potential XV'. :D

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Yeah, I think we will see a lot of our young guys getting a run against the Argies for example.

My 'development' Team would something like:
1) Johnson-Holmes?
2) Uelelse
3) Fa’amausili
4) Hosea
5) Hanigan
6) Valetini
7) McReight
8) Wilson

9) Powell
10) Lolesio
11) Ramm
12) Simone
13) Paisami
14) Wright
15) Maddocks

Obviously you'd not necessarily play all of those guys but these would probably be our 'potential XV'. :D

Agreed, would be great to give these guys a run.

But the unfortunate reality is that we won't have the luxury to be running out a B team against the Argies. Think we will be needing all hands on deck for every game this series.