• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The Saffers have a production line of players that are able to step up and fill the void in super rugby, we do not

I swear some of you blokes have memories like goldfish. Yes the South Africans have a production line that produces some great talent. Yes they've had some strong Super Rugby teams over the years. BUT, they also had some pretty ordinary teams for extended periods, so much so they left Super Rugby to go play up north.......

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
The Saffers have a production line of players that are able to step up and fill the void in super rugby, we do not

Would say there has been a decline in SA super rugby sides recently as well. The conference system helps them as they play each other a lot and are helped with local refs when playing at home against Oz/NZ teams. However when playing outside SA they generally look poor. I would expect a small drop in Oz super rugby sides as well but as mentioned here NH club teams have caps on foreign players and not all clubs have the cash required to attract SH players across. So I don't think there will be a mass exodus of players if they changed the law.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I swear some of you blokes have memories like goldfish. Yes the South Africans have a production line that produces some great talent. Yes they've had some strong Super Rugby teams over the years. BUT, they also had some pretty ordinary teams for extended periods, so much so they left Super Rugby to go play up north...

They left the Super and turned to the north on a very clever play for funds as NZ was insisting on team reduction in Super. They handled that situation very well and left the rest of us looking silly.

They also look for international opportunity for the rest of the premier div in Currie Cup. All in all their reaction to reduction in Super was light years ahead of us.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Hmm Skelton knew what was required to play for the wallabies, he chose not too.

So he needs to reduce his earning capacity at the height of his career to play for AUS?

If we have 30 players in the UK and France playing high level we can accelerate some of the young guys into Super Rugby and give them a proper grounding. Not the contrived bollocks of the NRC. There has been some good discussion on this and other forums of leveraging the clubs into a national comp post their traditional seasons. Cannot see how this wouldn’t be superior to the NRC. Certainly worth a shot as the NRC is an outright farce.

If we keep doing what has been done in recent times there will be a lovely spot for us in Tier 2 Rugby internationally. We will have earnt it by having our heads jammed in the sand.

S

Show-n-go

Think there’s a lot of people here forgetting SA have expenentionally more players playing pro footy overseas than we do. Poor results don’t come down to poor or lack of cattle solely.

SA rugby from an admin side has been in the shitter for long periods of time, stuff that makes our admin look like a well oiled machine, all this has a flow in effect to on field results

What was it, half the saffa World Cup side are from overseas? I dare someone to tell me that we can lose that much super rugby talent and still be competitive

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Think there’s a lot of people here forgetting SA have expenentionally more players playing pro footy overseas than we do. Poor results don’t come down to poor or lack of cattle solely.

SA rugby from an admin side has been in the shitter for long periods of time, stuff that makes our admin look like a well oiled machine, all this has a flow in effect to on field results

What was it, half the saffa World Cup side are from overseas? I dare someone to tell me that we can lose that much super rugby talent and still be competitive

I “dare” to tell you that if we lose that much talent I’ll be an OS member of Sarries or a French club, not an Aus franchise. From there I have no idea if I would bother watching the WBs. Don’t know.

S

Show-n-go

I “dare” to tell you that if we lose that much talent I’ll be an OS member of Sarries or a French club, not an Aus franchise. From there I have no idea if I would bother watching the WBs. Don’t know.

Cheers champ that was my point, we can’t therefore we don’t follow what the saffas do. Completely different market

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So he needs to reduce his earning capacity at the height of his career to play for AUS?

If we have 30 players in the UK and France playing high level we can accelerate some of the young guys into Super Rugby and give them a proper grounding. Not the contrived bollocks of the NRC. There has been some good discussion on this and other forums of leveraging the clubs into a national comp post their traditional seasons. Cannot see how this wouldn’t be superior to the NRC. Certainly worth a shot as the NRC is an outright farce.

If we keep doing what has been done in recent times there will be a lovely spot for us in Tier 2 Rugby internationally. We will have earnt it by having our heads jammed in the sand.

He could have played for the Wallabies in this years RWC if he signed for a Super Rugby team in 2020... he chose not to, preferred money over representing his country. I don’t think they should be making any kind of exception for him now.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Outstanding logic, so we set an arbitrary hurdle to allow some to go and shackle the rest or accuse them of choosing $ over country

The upside for us is we go to the biggest dance in the game without our best side. Yep that makes sense

Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot and proclaiming that you are such a great shot.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Koch, Mostert, Vermulean, Louw, Deklerk, Reinch, Steyn, Leroux, Kolbe. 9/31

Post WC? - some may come back in time for 2020 Super Rugby after Japan, but majority won't.
Marx, Koch, Etzebeth, Dejager, Snyman, Mostert, Vermulean, Smith, Louw, Deklerk, Reinach, Pollard, Steyn, Deallende, Kriel, Kolbe, Leroux. 17/31

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Outstanding logic, so we set an arbitrary hurdle to allow some to go and shackle the rest or accuse them of choosing $ over country

The upside for us is we go to the biggest dance in the game without our best side. Yep that makes sense

Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot and proclaiming that you are such a great shot.

Disagree all you like mate, but Skelton made the decision not to represent Australia by signing for saracens, it’s not an arbitrary hurdle at all.

My logic is reward those players who are willing to make sacrifices for the opportunity to represent their country, Arnold and Rodda sacrificed a higher earning capacity to remain in Australia and play for Australia at the RWC. They wanted it more then Skelton and valued representing their country higher then just monetary gain, that’s the kind of players I want representing the country and think it’s bloody criminal to then parachute someone else in to take their position.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Disagree all you like mate, but Skelton made the decision not to represent Australia by signing for saracens, it’s not an arbitrary hurdle at all.

My logic is reward those players who are willing to make sacrifices for the opportunity to represent their country, Arnold and Rodda sacrificed a higher earning capacity to remain in Australia and play for Australia at the RWC. They wanted it more then Skelton and valued representing their country higher then just monetary gain, that’s the kind of players I want representing the country and think it’s bloody criminal to then parachute someone else in to take their position.
Forcing people to choose between income and country will end poorly for country almost every time.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bring Taqele home, that boy is monstrous. He's absolutely carving it up for the Saints. Two tries and an assist in last weeks game.

Seeing as we were going to run it out of our half every game and not kick, why not have a wing pairing of Koroibete and Naiyaravoro.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)

The arbitrary hurdle is the 60 tests

Why not 40, 70 or 100?

Was it set there to keep O’Connor out?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bring Taqele home, that boy is monstrous. He's absolutely carving it up for the Saints. Two tries and an assist in last weeks game.

Seeing as we were going to run it out of our half every game and not kick, why not have a wing pairing of Koroibete and Naiyaravoro.
We needed a second 15 on the other wing to not kick it.