• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Here’s a man who understands the game.

Why Tattsy when you are a NSWelshman?

I'm supporting the Reds next year because Andrew Hore, Daryl Gibson and Cheik have destroyed the Waratahs and I love watching Harry Wilson and Fraser McReight play to be honest. The Reds have to be ready for a heap of people who want to jump on the bandwagon!!! That Reds to Regions thing and employing Dave Alred are awesome moves and I reckon Thorny and the CEO Hanham, I think his name is, are very good operators.

I think I saw Andrew Slack quoted after the World Cup saying Cheik wanted to take the Wallabies to America again pre World Cup but RA only let him take them to Noumea to keep costs down. How about taking them out to drought affected regional NSW and regional Queensland areas for your pre World Cup camp???? Same with Gibson and Hore, no engagement with the core constituency of rugby people in the regions.

Brad Thorn gets it and Dave Wessels gets it, you need to engage with your people.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Chris Webb has also been appointed as the Wallabies General Manager.

Webb was with the Waratahs for a long time and then the high performance advisor for the Sunwolves and Japan.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'm supporting the Reds next year because Andrew Hore, Daryl Gibson and Cheik have destroyed the Waratahs and I love watching Harry Wilson and Fraser McReight play to be honest. The Reds have to be ready for a heap of people who want to jump on the bandwagon!!! That Reds to Regions thing and employing Dave Alred are awesome moves and I reckon Thorny and the CEO Hanham, I think his name is, are very good operators.

I think I saw Andrew Slack quoted after the World Cup saying Cheik wanted to take the Wallabies to America again pre World Cup but RA only let him take them to Noumea to keep costs down. How about taking them out to drought affected regional NSW and regional Queensland areas for your pre World Cup camp???? Same with Gibson and Hore, no engagement with the core constituency of rugby people in the regions.

Brad Thorn gets it and Dave Wessels gets it, you need to engage with your people.

Cheika was a plum but I'm not sure thay touring the drought is the best preparation for a world cup.

B

Bobby Sands

Great answer, welcome!!

What I actually meant though - how did you become a fan of Tattsy?

An aside, Rugby Australia could do a lot worse than just hire the TSS rugby program to run things, and I say this from a position of no involvement with that set up. Produces more good coaches than anywhere else in oz.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Great answer, welcome!!

What I actually meant though - how did you become a fan of Tattsy?

An aside, Rugby Australia could do a lot worse than just hire the TSS rugby program to run things, and I say this from a position of no involvement with that set up. Produces more good coaches than anywhere else in oz.
Nothing just listened to the Rugby Coaches Corner podcast episode on him and enjoyed it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hooper stepping down as Captain of the Waratahs to focus on his rugby begs the question if he will do the same for Australia. Potentially Rennie will want a new start with his new era. Also you can't have your captain on the bench because McReight is starting.

Leaving aside the conversation of the quality of his captaincy (personally I think he's come along miles since he's started, also he has heaps of experience, nearly 50 caps as captain), hypothetically who would be the man to replace him?

You'd assume one of the Super captains would get the tilt, but none of them stand out for different reasons:
  • Liam Wright - too young, probably won't be starting.
  • Rob Simmons - probably won't be starting, or if he is, being phased out.
  • Allan Ala'alatoa - probably starts, but not cemented on, not very experienced captain and will be subbed off after 50.
  • DHP - Actually the most experienced captain out of all four with 1(!) year of experience. But we all know the assumptions about fullback at captain. Also has competition for his spot between him, Maddocks & Banks.
After that, the only cemented starters are probably Rodda & Koroibete. Rodda could be a choice in the Horwill mould. But looking at the options I reckon Hooper will be kept on for a while yet, he's by far the best choice at least for a couple years till another option emerges.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hooper stepping down as Captain of the Waratahs to focus on his rugby begs the question if he will do the same for Australia. Potentially Rennie will want a new start with his new era. Also you can't have your captain on the bench because McReight is starting.

Leaving aside the conversation of the quality of his captaincy (personally I think he's come along miles since he's started, also he has heaps of experience, nearly 50 caps as captain), hypothetically who would be the man to replace him?

You'd assume one of the Super captains would get the tilt, but none of them stand out for different reasons:
  • Liam Wright - too young, probably won't be starting.
  • Rob Simmons - probably won't be starting, or if he is, being phased out.
  • Allan Ala'alatoa - probably starts, but not cemented on, not very experienced captain and will be subbed off after 50.
  • DHP - Actually the most experienced captain out of all four with 1(!) year of experience. But we all know the assumptions about fullback at captain. Also has competition for his spot between him, Maddocks & Banks.
After that, the only cemented starters are probably Rodda & Koroibete. Rodda could be a choice in the Horwill mould. But looking at the options I reckon Hooper will be kept on for a while yet, he's by far the best choice at least for a couple years till another option emerges.
McReight hasnt even nailed down 7 for the Reds yet - doubt he'll be displacing Hooper just yet.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rennie was asked about what is needed to change for the Wallabies to beat the All Blacks and win back the Bledisloe, he really focussed on the conditioning of the players. In fact that seemed to be an subject mentioned a number of times during the interview.