• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Besides which, Harry Wilson will have a mortgage on Wallabies Number 8 for the next decade. At least with THPs there is more room on the bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure the ability to run the ball up hard covers all the skill set needed for a good 8. If you want an example of the skill-set for a complete number 8 look at Zinzan Brooke (admittedly that's setting the bar pretty high). Yes, he could run the ball up hard, but also scrummage, a line-out jumper, great cover defender, could drop back when the fullback was up and was perfectly safe under the high ball, kick if necessary, and could pass and provide a link between forwards and backs.
Just a couple more things for Pone to work on!
Good post. Where you talk ‘core skills’ for a number 8 part of that is the innate ability to read the game from off the back of the scrum and run smart lines in attack and cover defence to be in the right spot in 5 or 30 seconds. It’s not rocket science, but it is acquired intelligence built up from playing & training there over and over.

I remember Tim Gavin once giving a brief on the core skills of a number 8 and his list was along to lines of cover defence, link with the backs in attack and run good support lines from depth. Position requirements change over time as the game has evolved, but if you look at Kieran Read you would suggest those 3 requirements still apply.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I suspect that one or both of them will be worth too much in France for Australia to keep post 2023 RWC. I have the feeling Wilson will be hanging around for a long while.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tim anstee as new bolter for wallaby squad if keeps playing like he did for tahs. Good to see some good options at 6 coming through
He is exciting and also got through some grunt work on top of his explosive attack. Definitely one to watch.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So yep battle of 6’s for swinton, Valentini and anstee who have been all in excellent form.

Wright probably outside of those trio or maybe in the mix if can play to his best form.

Second row where gets interesting as who partners LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Phillips out this season...and also who is our bench lock. Assume brumbies second rowers, hosea, and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) contenders. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) or anstee both could be bench option as both can play lock / 6

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mafi also for me pushing to be wallaby hooker after strong performances this season so far as well...ulese’s spot to lose but injuries may also play a part in that..

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So yep battle of 6’s for swinton, Valentini and anstee who have been all in excellent form.

Wright probably outside of those trio or maybe in the mix if can play to his best form.

Second row where gets interesting as who partners LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Phillips out this season.and also who is our bench lock. Assume brumbies second rowers, hosea, and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) contenders. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) or anstee both could be bench option as both can play lock / 6

Philip is not out, he will be available for test selection.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have some cautious optimism at lock. Neville is in career best form, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) would be a good foil. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Hosea, Swain & Blyth are all coming through and all seem to have adjusted well to super rugby. No idea this stage if Uru can keep up his form and even less sure if he can take that to test level, but if he can keep his form up he will at least provide some depth.

Big difference between being good at super level and being good at test level - especially at lock - but given it has been a real point of weakness for us over the last 10 yrs I feel we are in an okay position.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have some cautious optimism at lock. Neville is in career best form, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) would be a good foil. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Hosea, Swain & Blyth are all coming through and all seem to have adjusted well to super rugby. No idea this stage if Uru can keep up his form and even less sure if he can take that to test level, but if he can keep his form up he will at least provide some depth.

Big difference between being good at super level and being good at test level - especially at lock - but given it has been a real point of weakness for us over the last 10 yrs I feel we are in an okay position.
The challenge I have is with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philips not the tallest lock combo but certainly did ok last test season..which is why FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) despite good form struggle to see for test contention given height but maybe not such a big an issue perhaps..

Ps irony is so many lock players going overseas also helped accelerate development of next batch of locks given getting super rugby time otherwise would not have got if not been such a mass exodus.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The challenge I have is with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philips not the tallest lock combo but certainly did ok last test season..which is why FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) despite good form struggle to see for test contention given height but maybe not such a big an issue perhaps..

Ps irony is so many lock players going overseas also helped accelerate development of next batch of locks given getting super rugby time otherwise would not have got if not been such a mass exodus.
Philip is 4cm taller than the worlds best lock. I’d love to see FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) run in tandem, prob with a taller 6 available. Would offer plenty of go forward and industry around the park

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I really like what Hosea is bringing, looks like he has stacked on a few kilos, has a strong presence about him at rucks and mauls.
As a left field option, I think Uru has played well so far this season too, not sure of wallaby eligibility status though

Reactions: dru