• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Australia really being carried a bit there.

We have won twice... and was runner up as little as one cycle ago to a SH team... we came second in the junior world cup.. Yes we have had a lean trot.. but there's nothing to say that NH paying overs for locks is the best way to go. NZ, SA, AU .. Have been the dominate world cup winners forever and a day.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So what will Rennie need to see in Super Rugby Au from the young players who missed out this year?
Tate McDermott is probably the best example, he was in scintillating form, clearly the best scrum half in Super Rugby Au but got pretty minimal time off the bench. So with McDermott will Rennie need to see him change his game, or would Tate just doing what does best, maybe even kicking it up another gear? Or will Rennie need to see him add a box kicking game etc?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So what will Rennie need to see in Super Rugby Au from the young players who missed out this year?
Tate McDermott is probably the best example, he was in scintillating form, clearly the best scrum half in Super Rugby Au but got pretty minimal time off the bench. So with McDermott will Rennie need to see him change his game, or would Tate just doing what does best, maybe even kicking it up another gear? Or will Rennie need to see him add a box kicking game etc?

Box kicking seems obvious. Didn't he openly state kicking will be essential to his gameplan?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think the biggest thing for the young players who showed up well last year will be to keep improving, and demonstrate that they are not 'one hit wonders' but can continue their good form and grow their game. Those that will come into Wallaby calculations will be those who can avoid the notorious 'second season syndrome'!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I hate box kicking, but I see the need for the halfback to do the occasional box kick at test level, and when executed well it’s a great advantage. Tate would be silly not to work on it, he also needs to work on the accuracy and speed of his pass. They’re probably the two biggest things which I think kept him from more wallaby opportunities.

I think the fly-half role is again wide open in 2021, all who played there in 2020 had their flaws and no one cemented it as their own.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As with all tactical kicking, a team which has does not have enough options is giving their opponents a big tactical advantage.

I do not like kicking very much, but I do understand that the side that does not have good kicking options in all relevant positions is putting themselves a long way behind the 8 ball. Or should that be the 15 ball.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Because I’m bored and I’d like to try and start some discussion, I thought I’d put together a ‘rookie’ 15 for discussion.

I used the following rational -
1. They had to be someone who had I felt had a genuine chance of featuring in a Gold jersey this year

2. They had to either have no or limited test caps. Where possible I tried to pick someone uncapped, but there were a couple of positions where I just can’t see an uncapped player forcing their way into contention. So, in keeping with point 1, I selected someone with limited caps in those spots

1. Angus Bell
2. Andrew Ready
3. Pone Fa’amausili
4. Trevor Hosea
5. Angus Blyth
6. Lachie Swinton
7. Fraser McReight
8. Rob Valetini
9. Tate McDermott
10. Will Harrison
11. Suliasi Vunivalu
12. Joey Walton
13. Len Ikatau
14. James Ramm
15. Jock Campbell

Obviously not all these guys are going to crack it, but I found it an interesting enough exercise anyway. There are also guys like Darcy Swain who I haven’t picked because I’ve ranked him behind Hosea & Blyth but who will could certainly be in the mix.

So, who did I miss & who have I picked who people disagree with. Where I have picked someone already capped, are there any uncapped players who may stake a claim?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Where I have picked someone already capped, are there any uncapped players who may stake a claim?

I like what Lachie Swinton brings (unlike some here) and would've picked him for more caps if not thug banned. :)

I reckon Rennie will give him another go. In this context, though, he is already capped. Here's an uncapped bloke with the potential at blindside:

6. Fergus Lee-Warner

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fa'amausili is the one I suspect will have difficulty making the top grade. Absolutely enjoy the way he plays with ball in hand but otherwise I think he's a bit limited and I doubt he will be a Wallaby anytime soon. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is the standout prop coming through.

I am also a big fan of FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) and would like to see him in contention for the 6 spot.

Hosea and Blyth are a good pairing at lock and while I like both Swain and Frost, they will need to overtake the first two to make the team.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Fa'amausili is the one I suspect will have difficulty making the top grade. Absolutely enjoy the way he plays with ball in hand but otherwise I think he's a bit limited and I doubt he will be a Wallaby anytime soon.

Fa'amausili probably has one of the more well rounded games of all the props in Aus. His breakdown work especially is exceptional.

He needs to work on his scrummaging and fitness a bit before he's ready for test level, but he could rack up a fair few caps over his career.