• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think speed to the ball is less important in Tests, space is less than Super Rugby, there's usually less width in attack. Marx isn't that quick - he just has excellent technique and strength to survive cleanouts.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Good performances by Willie Skelton and Tawera Kerr-Barlow in Heineken Cup semifinal. Is Tawera eligible? Isn't it?

This move was against Sarries in Quarter-Final

Last edited:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Good performances by Willie Skelton and Tawera Kerr-Barlow in Heineken Cup semifinal. Is Tawera eligible? Isn't it?
I'm glad.

However, forget about Kerr-Barlow. He won't be getting picked for oz - or nz, for that matter.

Skelton remains a 'maybe'.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Had a decent eye on all the hookers this week.

Brumbies - Lonergan and Pollard - both had big issues with their throwing and it seemed better than it was because the ref didn't call a lot of not-straights. Pollard better around the park and physical. Lonergan looks quite under-sized like Porecki for Test level. Pollard is too inexperienced for Test rugby. I'm not selecting either in my 23.

Tahs - Porecki is definitely the best thrower in the country and he got threw a done of work but I still have doubts about his size/effectiveness in collision at Test level, gets thrown around a lot. Vailanu is going ok, he's a bit small too but a strong carrier. He's not going to play Tests. Porecki should in the squad but I need him to up his collision impact. I still have hopes for Latu but if the Tahs aren't using him in the 23 he's no chance..

Rebels - Mafi was the pick of the hookers easily. He ran well, tackled well, managed the mauling and throws were solid. Will he make the squad? I'd pick him. Uelese was also good, attacked the breakdown a lot
- probably our best hooker after Latu at the ruck. He's physical but sometimes throws are wonky. I'm a little sckeptical of their dominance given it was Pasifika but as right now I'd select both in my squad (of 3).

Force - Horton is an energy bunny, a bit like Vailanu but massively undersized at Test level, he's not making the squad but he's playing well. Kaitu’u has had a massive decline.

Reds - Faessler is going well, does his core roles well and strong in contact and has a sneaky athletic game. Asiata also decent, needs to throw a bit more consistently. If one of the Reds hookers were to make it, probably Faessler, I'd have him 4/5th right now.

It feels like we have this issue with small hookers in this country. Apart from Uelese where are all the big units? Codie Taylor, Marx, Taukei'aho, Mbonambi are massive units compared to our guys.

TLDR; Porecki/Mafi/Uelese in any order so far.
“ Porecki should in the squad but I need him to up his collision impact. “
“ I need him”.
Gold.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm no engineer but isn't impact really about a few things weight, speed and where you hit. If you are big it doesn't matter so much you have a good chance of bending the line, if it's speed then you avoid the contact and if you can pick where you hit you've a decent chance of going through.

We need size in areas and our forwards have been on the small side due to lock, 8 and 6 supply issues. I agree with qwerty that our hookers need to be bigger but I think Uelese is big enough at 6' 2" and 116kgs (would prefer one a bit shorter for impact). BPA is still our best hooker but doesn't look like he is available.

I note Taukei'aho 6' and 115kgs.

Lonergan is listed at 5'11" and 98kgs although he looks heavier than that.
Pollard is 6'1" and 103kgs
Poreki 6'1" 108kgs
BPA 6' 117kgs

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

This move was against Sarries in Quarter-Final
Skelton yes. Kerr-Barlow no thanks. He's 32 and not an upgrade on anyone we have IMO.

I think Longergan had far more physicality than Porecki around the field even if he is smaller. Yeah we don't have an Aumua but I think Pollard can become quite a weapon around the field as he continues to develop.

BPA is the pick of Aus Hookers. Uelese looks like everything you want but he's always injured and really short of minutes. This year has probably been his most consistent in a long time but I still don't have a lot of faith in him.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm glad.

However, forget about Kerr-Barlow. He won't be getting picked for oz - or nz, for that matter.

Skelton remains a 'maybe'.
Willie is a MUST in Eddie's squad according some reports:
HSFBCAP.jpg

HSFBBHB.jpg

About TKB, you never know. The only Eddie's halfback is White and apparenlty Eddie doesn't like McDermott

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think speed to the ball is less important in Tests, space is less than Super Rugby, there's usually less width in attack. Marx isn't that quick - he just has excellent technique and strength to survive cleanouts.
Disagree here, speed to the ball is more important in tests due to the extra speed the game is played at and the importance of controlling and winning possession.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lonergan has been the most consistent 9 all year and I think his goal kicking ability could see him earn a spot on the bench ahead of Tate or Gordon who has been playing better over the last couple of games.
Ghost I think the battle for 9's at the cup will be very interesting. No idea how Jones will go but he will be looking for experience in the halves.
This may rule out Gordon for 10 which I think will be a mistake. As an example, I don't think Jones made the most of Marcus Smith and tried to have an each way bet with Farrell at 12.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
On the likes of Skelton et al - I’m assuming they’re available for TRC? Seems risky if it’s straight into the WC with no time to build combos
I agree with this for most players but for me Skelton is plug and play right now. His form is strong and his impact on a match is very independent. I want our Backrow to settle leading into the WC through the TRC. If our Backrow & likely Frost get in a rhythm we then bring in Skelton ready to make a mess.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Skelton yes. Kerr-Barlow no thanks. He's 32 and not an upgrade on anyone we have IMO.

I think Longergan had far more physicality than Porecki around the field even if he is smaller. Yeah we don't have an Aumua but I think Pollard can become quite a weapon around the field as he continues to develop.

BPA is the pick of Aus Hookers. Uelese looks like everything you want but he's always injured and really short of minutes. This year has probably been his most consistent in a long time but I still don't have a lot of faith in him.
The other interesting impact of RWC will be who will be left after it is over and not just the older players?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The other interesting impact of RWC will be who will be left after it is over and not just the older players?
I'm comfortable building our pack around guys like Bell, Pollard, Frost, Valetini, with others like Gleeson hopefully establishing themselves.

We will need to ideally find the 10,15 that will be a mainstay but Ikitau will the 13 for as long as he is available or move to 12 potentially if a guy like Suali'i could be at 13 (I know everyone has said 15) but the way Jorgensen is developing I want them all in the team.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I agree with this for most players but for me Skelton is plug and play right now. His form is strong and his impact on a match is very independent. I want our Backrow to settle leading into the WC through the TRC. If our Backrow & likely Frost get in a rhythm we then bring in Skelton ready to make a mess.
Yes Skelton plays every game he's available for imo, just hoping that starts sooner rather than later.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What are people's back three at the moment? Kellaway's impressive return to form has made it even more congested.

Koroibete is a lock for one wing. Will we see Toole debut? Or is it a year too soon? Competing for the other wing spot is Petaia, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway, Toole, Vunivalu kinda, Wright.

I see fullback as a three-way shoot out between Kellaway, Petaia & Wright. Preference for Jordy at the moment over Tom for lack of fuck ups and height in the air.

I have 11. Koroibete 14. Kellaway 15. Petaia 23. Wright with Toole & Nawqanitawase on the plane too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What are people's back three at the moment? Kellaway's impressive return to form has made it even more congested.

Koroibete is a lock for one wing. Will we see Toole debut? Or is it a year too soon? Competing for the other wing spot is Petaia, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway, Toole, Vunivalu kinda, Wright.

I see fullback as a three-way shoot out between Kellaway, Petaia & Wright. Preference for Jordy at the moment over Tom for lack of fuck ups and height in the air.

I have 11. Koroibete 14. Kellaway 15. Petaia 23. Wright with Toole & Nawqanitawase on the plane too.

Wright has been the form fullback so far, but I'd like to see Kellaway given more time there as I think he can be a bit more reliable in the position.

I still see Petaia as a winger, and probably the form Aussie winger this year.

At the moment I see the competition as being:

11. Koroibete
14. Petaia
15. Wright/Kellaway - whoever misses out here goes to the bench.

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) a definite squad member, and iff Toole keeps playing the way he is might be a smokey for the squad.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If Toole is to make the squad it will be in place of Nawaqanitawase.

Marika is a lock and all the others can cover Fullback and Centres.

Nawaqanitawse is still so new at Test level it will be interesting to see what Eddie goes with.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Toole is to make the squad it will be in place of Nawaqanitawase.

Marika is a lock and all the others can cover Fullback and Centres.

Nawaqanitawse is still so new at Test level it will be interesting to see what Eddie goes with.

Based on his test form last year I would have to lock Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) in...

He might miss out on the 23, but would probably be a straight swap on the wing if there's any injuries/rest to the likes of Koroibete and Petaia IMO.

He obviously hasn't had the opportunities to shine with the Tahs this year, but you play him outside of someone like Ikitau to provide the space which has really benefited Toole.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How many outside backs do we carry with us? I wonder if Kellaway and Petaia's versatility is now pushing Hodge out. I know they can't cover 10 or 12 but they've got 11,13,14,15 nicely.