• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The statistic is for average salary so it distorts the figure especially when there are 6-7 props in a squad. You don’t have 6-7 centres. Out of those positions it’s likely the props have the least % overall in the starting team.

Median salary would be a better indicator, or average salary of stating players.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The prem report also gives an interesting salary distribution which helps with that

I should note, especially on the Wallaby thread, that this excludes international payments

Screenshot_20240429-064910.png

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nor is it a retirement fund. Quade & Foley should have to demand selection too. If they do, then I’m fine to for them to be considered but I’d have to say that Foley’s last two periods in a Wallabies jersey have both been sub-par. Expecting him to be a better player now than he was two years ago is hopeful. It’s not like he was ever a top shelf international 10. He was a solid, but limited attacking player with a sub par kicking game. He had some very good moments, but he was really just a placeholder when you come down to it. Quade is 36 now. How is his body holding up? Big ask to expect him to step up to Test level again and his form at test level is two years ago now and coincided with a period when both Kerevi & Koroibete were in career best form. One of my favourite players to watch but not sure he is a likely solution for the Wallabies anymore.

The current group need to step up for sure, but I’d personally prefer we give them the opportunity then keep going back to the same old well.
Foley is playing very well in Japan ATM and I’m sure Schmidt is taking notice.
You would have to think that Schmidt will pick a 10 who can kick for goal, in general play and can distribute well enough. He will need someone solid who the rest of the team can rely on and work off. That would be Lolesio for now and Lynagh in the future.
I cannot understand those calling for Gordon and Donaldson to be the selected 10s. Neither has improved or become more consistent since our miserable RWC campaign. We would just be going straight back down the same hole. Tell me why I am wrong?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
You would have to think that Schmidt will pick a 10 who can kick for goal, in general play and can distribute well enough. He will need someone solid who the rest of the team can rely on and work off. That would be Lolesio for now and Lynagh in the future.
I cannot understand those calling for Gordon and Donaldson to be the selected 10s. Neither has improved or become more consistent since our miserable RWC campaign. We would just be going straight back down the same hole. Tell me why I am wrong?
Depends on the game plan and what Schmidt wants in a 10. Gordon is a better defender and has a better passing game than Lolesio/Donaldson/Lynagh. For many game plans that will outbalance the less consistent kicking, for others it won't. Also depends who's at 9/12/15 and if they can take up some of the kicking load.

I think if Lolesio can consistently prove to be an 85% goal kicker, and anyone else is 70%, then I assume he'll probably get first crack at it.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Depends on the game plan and what Schmidt wants in a 10. Gordon is a better defender and has a better passing game than Lolesio/Donaldson/Lynagh. For many game plans that will outbalance the less consistent kicking, for others it won't. Also depends who's at 9/12/15 and if they can take up some of the kicking load.

I think if Lolesio can consistently prove to be an 85% goal kicker, and anyone else is 70%, then I assume he'll probably get first crack at it.
I doubt very much that Lynagh will be considered. It’s Lolesio, Gordon and Donaldson. Two of those. Sadly I suspect Lolesio will get the gig due to goal kicking. Not the best 10 though.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The bit you are missing Joe is the pack, behind a winning pack Foley or Lolesio are fine enough without being game winners. Gordon has played a lot of his rugby behind a poor pack and rather than stand back he tries to open up an opportunity.
IF we can put together a pack that can get 50% possession across all areas of tight and loose play then Gorden will be an advantage if we don't have that pack then Foley or Lolesio's kicking will help but won't win games for us.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
Donaldson and Gordon have both been selected in G&G’s TOTW on numerous occasions this year (for what it’s worth) so they must have been doing something right. And along with Lolesio, they are leading the Aussie 10’s for try assists with appx 6 whereas Lynagh has none. It will be very interesting to see which way Schmidt goes. All the young 10’s have different strengths and weaknesses but I just hope that whoever Schmidt picks he sticks with them throughout the year to build confidence and cohesion within the team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
35 man squad for Wales.

Assuming Skelton is unavailable with La Rochelle, BPA is available and not an OS pick as he's coming home. Koroibete and Kerevi will be home already. Not sure about the injury status, of Petaia, Schoupp, Bell. Have at it.

Props (6)
Bell, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Slipper, Talakai, Schoupp (Gibbon if Blake is out)

Hookers (3)
Faessler, Uelese, Paenga-Amosa

Locks (5)
Canham, Frost, Salakai-Loto, Swain, Holloway

Backrow (6)
Valetini, Cale, McReight, Gleeson, T. Hooper, Wilson

Scrumhalf (3)
McDermott, White, Longeran

Flyhalf (2)
Lolesio, Gordon

Centre (4)
Ikitau, Paisami, Perese, Kerevi

Outside backs (6)
Kellaway, Wright, Koroibete, Toole, Petaia, Lancaster (Jorgensen if Petaia is out)