1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies match fixing scandal?

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by Brumbieman, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brumbieman Colin Windon (37)

2. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

Samoa in Sydney 2011, Scotland in Newcastle in 2012 are probaly our two biggest shock losses right?

Perhaps Scotland in Sydney in 2017?
  3. Mr Wobbly Arch Winning (36)

4. Pass it to Dunning! Fred Wood (13)

I don't believe a word Greg Growden says. Any respectable journalist wouldn't publish this hearsay and conjecture.
  5. The Honey Badger Chilla Wilson (44)

I think it is ancient history. Not anything in the recent past. Don't think any of the players are still playing.
  6. sunnyboys Jimmy Flynn (14)

The game that kind of matches his hints had a this as part of its match review on GAGR:

“I struggle to think of an occasion when I’ve seen a side with so much possession and so many attacking opportunities, against an opponent with no meaningful attack, lose with a miserly 8 points to show for their effort. The Wallabies even managed to actually fall over the try-line twice more, but on their backs. That’s innovation! If you planned to throw a match as part of a betting scandal, this would have been far too elaborate a route.”

Any guesses???

Away game.
  7. Beer Baron Ron Walden (29)

Spot fixing makes more sense - give away a penalty in front of the sticks in the first minute
  8. Mr Wobbly Arch Winning (36)

If it weren't for hearsay and conjecture Growden's articles wouldn't be any more than a by-line and a couple of stock photos.
    Jimmy_Crouch and swingpass like this.
  9. Mr Wobbly Arch Winning (36)

Scotland, '09?
  10. sunnyboys Jimmy Flynn (14)

Yep! Scotland ‘09
  11. The torpedo Chilla Wilson (44)

This I also found very interesting:

12. The torpedo Chilla Wilson (44)

Anyone willing to tweet Growden and ask him to define 'several years ago'?
  13. The torpedo Chilla Wilson (44)

Although TBH I believe this may be a case of Chinese Whispers
  14. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

yep, for our safety I reckon we lock this thread. No benefit to anyone making wild assumptions on the back of a Growden article. Let's let it lie until something more substantial comes out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.