• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies squad for Ireland series

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ Crusaders aren't going to shit on him in May/ June when they want him motivated to perform in July/ August, are they? Not sure how Lomax is relevant, people get granted early releases fairly often without compensation being an issue.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Wow, a FoxSports piece quoting Gregor Paul. Alert the Pulitzer Prize jury stat!

Seriously, though, why shouldn't NZR seek compensation on behalf of Tasman & the Crusaders?

So, the player is picked for the June test window and is unavailable for those 3-4 weeks. Is there Super Rugby missing, or is it more a case of training and R&R lost and an exhibition hit out where Crusaders are needing some cash?

Tasman, yeah. Likely that whole season lost by an early move to Canberra.

Reactions: dru

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The article says the crusaders are completely fine with it, it’s just the NZRU. The article also points out Lomax was given a full release with NO compensation asked for at all.

The Foxsports piece is also written by journo who seems to be on a personal very pro-Wallaby campaign across several forms of media. :rolleyes: It appears another Aussie journo has even questioned his "slant" in a few recent twitter posts.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Seriously, though, why shouldn't NZR seek compensation on behalf of Tasman & the Crusaders?

EDIT: interesting that no actual figure has been mentioned.

EDIT #2 (sorry, my Internet keeps dropping out): if Samu got picked for the AB both Crusaders & Tasman would get compensated by NZR. I think it's entire reasonable that if he's picked for the Wobs then RA should do the compensating.
Eh? Teams have to be compensated if their players are good enough to make the All Blacks?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
^^^^^^ Crusaders aren't going to shit on him in May/ June when they want him motivated to perform in July/ August, are they? Not sure how Lomax is relevant, people get granted early releases fairly often without compensation being an issue.

Well I’d consider this less of an inconvenien than a full release? Hey I want to bail a whole year early “yea sweet no dramas Lomax”. Hey I want to be released for a few weeks during the international test window then miss a domestic competition “no fuck you give us money”

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure how Lomax is relevant, people get granted early releases fairly often without compensation being an issue.
A full year left to run, though, and no buyout whatsoever. Looks like Tasman was green-lighted for a season's worth from the player out of it too.

Last year, Tyrel Lomax — the son of former Raiders and Kiwis league prop John — told the Rebels that he wished to return to NZ and wanted to play for the All Blacks.

An Australian under-20s prop, Lomax was well and truly on Cheika’s Test radar.

But not only did the Rebels release Lomax with a year left on his contract, they also did not ask for compensation and allowed him to play for Tasman and the Highlanders.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A full year left to run, though, and no buyout whatsoever. Looks like Tasman was green-lighted for a season's worth from the player out of it too.

Last year, Tyrel Lomax — the son of former Raiders and Kiwis league prop John — told the Rebels that he wished to return to NZ and wanted to play for the All Blacks.

An Australian under-20s prop, Lomax was well and truly on Cheika’s Test radar.

But not only did the Rebels release Lomax with a year left on his contract, they also did not ask for compensation and allowed him to play for Tasman and the Highlanders.

Kiap, the reason Lomax was released he had already turned down Cheika saying he was going to try for ABs whenever he could get released and he was released from Rebels he wasn't contracted to AR was he? I don't think ARU have asked for a release (and take over payments etc) but only for a lend of a player so to speak. I really hope they work something out, but I am sure everyone needs to cover their arses in case of injury etc. Don't forget he is on extra money by the NZRU because he is or was available to play for NZ.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Eh? Teams have to be compensated if their players are good enough to make the All Blacks?

Yep they are Cyclo as they quite often taken out of games etc for AB camps etc, and have to have RUPA specified rests. Kind of have to spin them a bit of coin to compensate (from what I can ascertain)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
he was released from Rebels he wasn't contracted to AR was he?
Every aus Super player is contracted to AR. No signature, no soup.

Lomax didn't want to play for Cheika … Hansen doesn't actually want Samu.

Seems like a case of good old Kiwi tightarse.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure why he rates Powell so highly. Most people I saw wanted gordon or ruru ahead of him.

Great to see maddocks, tupou and banks, they are the future.

Not sold on Hanigan, Simmons, Robertson.
Robertson has been superb for tahs both scrummage wise and general play for tahs recently so deserves his place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You keep saying that BH, but it is just your opinion. In my opinion he's shown nothing above and beyond the level of his performances last year, and yes, I have watched all of the Tahs' games this year.I accept that his workrate is high and he tries, but what's the advantage of a player whose impact is so low?
I do agree hanigan has improved and his work rate and commitment can’t be faulted. One of those players you would like to see succeed due to those factors but yes still question marks whether he can be a long term 6 option, and warming the bench for Dempsey’s return at this stage.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

EDIT: interesting that no actual figure has been mentioned.

EDIT #2 (sorry, my Internet keeps dropping out): if Samu got picked for the AB both Crusaders & Tasman would get compensated by NZR. I think it's entire reasonable that if he's picked for the Wobs then RA should do the compensating.
It appears nzr and not the crusaders are asking for compensation. Kind of interesting petty things like this after rebels released Lomax and did not ask for compensation. And moreso as many are saying we should do our own domestic competition and move away from trans Tasman competition idea. This to me just reinforces this as I don’t see nzru as the friend of oz rugby as yes they don’t seem to see keep good relationships and supporting us as important. Fair enough but sooner we do our own quasi Asia pacific domestic competition the better.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Not for me, As much as I like the threat he brings far too defensively frail and with Folau at 15 we need wingers who can kick.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
NZRU - just take them to the IRB for the international release. Forget playing nice I expect we should be going alone post 2019 in any event so forget playing up to them.

That is not to say I support selecting him, as I have always said playing these games with contracting to allow selection of players because they sign a contract for next year neatly skirts the intent of the eligibility rules. Its just a bit rich to decry the NH nations for failing to release various PI players or encouraging them to "retire" then start pulling this crap.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm 6'4 and I've told Cheika this time and time again.

But no, apparently I'm 'not good enough for Club footy, let alone the Wallabies' and I should 'stop hounding his wife as she takes the kids to school' or else he'll 'call the cops again'.

Classic narrow Aussie rugby mentality.
stop turning down reasonable offers from other Super Rugby franchises and you will have a shot

Reactions: mst

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm 6'4 and I've told Cheika this time and time again.

But no, apparently I'm 'not good enough for Club footy, let alone the Wallabies' and I should 'stop hounding his wife as she takes the kids to school' or else he'll 'call the cops again'.

Classic narrow Aussie rugby mentality.

Not really mate. Over the history of our game it is widely recognised that a successful back row will be well balanced offering a competitive presence at the breakdown, a solid running game, good defence and at least one genuine lineout option.

What is narrow minded is repeatedly trying to bang a square peg into a round hole and expecting a different outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.