• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
With the super rugby starting to die down, international season is quick approaching. Deans and co. only have a few more weeks to make up their minds about the squad for this years shortened tri nations series.

The competition provides a litmus test before the world cup to check if certain players are up to wallaby standard, as well as an opportunity to rest key players nursing injuries after an extended super rugby campaign.

I'd like to see a number of players trailed before the world cup such as: Beau Robinson, Scott Higginbotham, Radike Samo, Rob Simmons, Sekope Kepu, Wyclif Palu, Berrick Barnes, Rob Horne, Rocky Elsom, Pat McCabe, Mark Gerrard, Nick Phipps and Nick Cummins.

Whilst most of the above are not starting players, they will make up the squad positions come world cup time.

I think Giteau should be given 1 start at 12 (outside cooper), to prove his worth. Like wise I think O'Connor and Barnes both need to start at least 2 games at 12. (O'Connor against Samoa)

The only other conundrum is finding a replacement for Drew Mitchell on the wing. My money is on former wallaby tourists Luke Morahan or Nick Cummins taking the spot; or alternatively Rob Horne stepping up and forcing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing. Lachie Turner also an option.

The pack pretty much selects itself, bar of course the backrow. As Australian captain I would like to see Elsom given a shot at retaining his number 6 jersey, however I would also like to see higgers start one game just to see how he handles test football. Palu is another player struggling with injury, and he will have to really step up if he his to retain his test spot. Last years no. 8 McCalman is a hard worker, yet he still lacks the impact of Palu or the evergreen Radike Samo.

Which brings me onto my next point, the bench. I have always been of the opinion that the bench players should not just be 7 blokes who weren't good enough to make the starting 15, but rather impact players who can come and win you a game against the run of play. Players like TPN, Higginbotham, Samo and Robinson are all able to provide that impact, as is the much maligned Luke Burgess. Although he lacks the ability to quickly and consistently pass to the right, his ability to spark a team often comes in handy in close test matches, as we saw last year against the irish in brisbane. If genia was to be injured, I would start phipps, but off the bench I think burgess is your man.

Thoughts?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Makes a fair bit of sense. Be great to see JOC (James O'Connor) get a chance 12, although Deans may have ruled that out (?). A fair point too on Burgess being able to provide some impact off the bench. He can plays a bit like an extra flanker at times. I still wish he could pass better, though, there were a few howlers against the Shorks last night.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There were a number of very bad Burgo passes on Saturday night and it was a major contributor to the loss. We can only take 30 to the Cup and this highlights a huge problem. If we take 3 halfbacks then that's one less outside back-up that goes (or alternatively one loose forward). I think Burgess is probably still the back-up but I'll bet its causing a few sleepless nights.

There are five games to start JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and also give Giteau and Barnes two starts each. But if JOC (James O'Connor) is going to get the gig then he needs to start at least three to develop combinations. This may all be solved if Barnes head injury requires long term rest (like Richie McCaw's head injuries), which I think is very likely. If that's the case then I would alternate JOC (James O'Connor) and Gits through the five matches making sure that JOC (James O'Connor) gets three of them and that they each start one against the Blacks and Boks.

Barring injury the front and second rows almost select themselves. Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Moore and Slipper are certainties and I would take Palmer for bench prop in games against big scrums like England and France. Sharpe, Horwill and Simmons select themselves with possibly Wykes getting the last spot. Its one Cup too early for Gomer. The backrow is a paradise of riches though Robinson's injury probably puts him out of the running. Pocock, Palu and Rocky are probably first choice with Hodgson, McCalman and Higginbotham next best but Samo is looking huge right now. Mowen and Dennis probably haven't done enough and Saffy and Vaea need another year or two of development.

The inside and outside backs would be Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Mitchell and Kurtley with Giteau, Mortlock, Cummins or Turner, Shephard and Gerrard for when its wet. If Mitchell is out I'd add Turner/Cummins. This assumes Barnes, Horne and Davies are all unable to recover full fitness after injury in time for selection.

That leaves another 10 for the preliminary squad. Maybe Alexander, Fainga'a, Pyle, Saffy or Vaea, Mowen, Phipps, Harris (is he eligible), Fainga'a, Morahan, McCabe.

There are three huge holes in this squad: halfback back-up, a back-up for Cooper and fast wingers like NZ and SA have. That said its a very strong squad. Only NZ would claim a better overall squad I think.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Completely agree about the bench bring filled with impact players rather then players who just missed out. Trialling JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 is also a must.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can honestly say that the front row is one of the easiest selections, when was the last time this was the case?

Don't think anyone one would disagree with Robinson, TPN, Moore, Slipper, Kepu in no particular starting order. Although I would go with the Tahs front row to keep combination.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I can honestly say that the front row is one of the easiest selections, when was the last time this was the case?

Don't think anyone one would disagree with Robinson, TPN, Moore, Slipper, Kepu in no particular starting order. Although I would go with the Tahs front row to keep combination.

the front row doesnt fill me with confidence, those players are standouts but have now all been exposed by either the crusaders or each other, slipper hasnt kicked on this season to where i would like him. the saders where all over him last night. Benn and Kepu are going well, kepu is now out for 6-8 weeks with a knee injury though. 4 years on, same world cup problem with the piggies in my books.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we are going for a TH for scrummaging alone it would have to be Palmer...

But don't expect him to do anything but scrummaging and lineout lifting...

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Higgers deserves a real shot at 6. He is starting to get real mongrel and loves the tough stuff. Also seemed to be the forward who broke the line against the Crusaders last night most often and with least trouble. He is really starting to look like a fitter, stronger less injury prone Elsom.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
the front row doesnt fill me with confidence, those players are standouts but have now all been exposed by either the crusaders or each other, slipper hasnt kicked on this season to where i would like him. the saders where all over him last night. Benn and Kepu are going well, kepu is now out for 6-8 weeks with a knee injury though. 4 years on, same world cup problem with the piggies in my books.

Slipper has been injured. I thought he was excellent early in the competition before he got hurt.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Higgers deserves a real shot at 6. He is starting to get real mongrel and loves the tough stuff. Also seemed to be the forward who broke the line against the Crusaders last night most often and with least trouble. He is really starting to look like a fitter, stronger less injury prone Elsom.

Agree. The other obvious thing to be said about Higgers is his excellent acceleration, pace and agility, especially for a bloke of his dimensions. (He started his rugby life in the backs, and whilst Spiro was derided for even suggesting it, the idea that Higgers could have been developed to be a productive Aus OC was not entirely without logic.)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My preferred front row would be Robinson, Moore, Kepu / Slipper (depending on injury status, Sharpe, Horwill, Higginbotham, Pocock and Samo at the moment. If Palu finds fitness and form, then him at 8, but Samo to bench at least - he has been very good.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd say the front rowers for the world cup is pretty much settled baring injury. I'd love to see players like Hugh Pyle, Radike Samo, Nick Phipps, Beau Robinson (if he is fit) and Cameron Shepherd get game time in this Tri-Nations to push their claims. Also players returning from injury such as Elsom, Palu, Davies, Hynes, Horne should also get a chance to prove themselves.

Maybe not in the Tri-Nations, but the test matches before it these players should be trialled.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
My preferred front row would be Robinson, Moore, Kepu / Slipper (depending on injury status, Sharpe, Horwill, Higginbotham, Pocock and Samo at the moment. If Palu finds fitness and form, then him at 8, but Samo to bench at least - he has been very good.

What about TPN? I would take him over Moore any day

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'd say the front rowers for the world cup is pretty much settled baring injury. I'd love to see players like Hugh Pyle, Radike Samo, Nick Phipps, Beau Robinson (if he is fit) and Cameron Shepherd get game time in this Tri-Nations to push their claims. Also players returning from injury such as Elsom, Palu, Davies, Hynes, Horne should also get a chance to prove themselves.

Maybe not in the Tri-Nations, but the test matches before it these players should be trialled.

I don't see the point. Just because someone can run riot all over Fiji or Tonga or even Scotland does that really mean that they will be up to taking on England, SA and the All Blacks??

From a match fitness point of view I can understand the likes of Elsom, TPN, Palu etc but if you want to find out if a new Test player is up to international standard, you can only find that out when they play the Top teams IMO.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Which brings me onto my next point, the bench. I have always been of the opinion that the bench players should not just be 7 blokes who weren't good enough to make the starting 15, but rather impact players who can come and win you a game against the run of play. Players like TPN, Higginbotham, Samo and Robinson are all able to provide that impact, as is the much maligned Luke Burgess. Although he lacks the ability to quickly and consistently pass to the right, his ability to spark a team often comes in handy in close test matches, as we saw last year against the irish in brisbane. If genia was to be injured, I would start phipps, but off the bench I think burgess is your man.
Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. If we are winning the game why take Genia off? Replacing Genia with Phipps would be a like-for-like substitution. Although Burgess doesn't have the basic skills (passing) of scrumhalf downpat he provides extraordinary energy off the bench. As you said he turned the momentum of a couple of games for the wallabies of the bench last year.

As far as having impact players on the bench, it may be obvious to say, but I hope you're not suggesting for TPN to be on the bench. Our best 15 should start and then from the remainder the players with most impact should be on the bench.

Other examples, what do Brown and Mumm offer coming of the Bench. Mumm is a solid player and you might start him to have someone who follows the coaches instructions to the letter and perform the nitty-gritty, but he couldn't turn a game.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
With the super rugby starting to die down, international season is quick approaching. Deans and co. only have a few more weeks to make up their minds about the squad for this years shortened tri nations series.

The competition provides a litmus test before the world cup to check if certain players are up to wallaby standard, as well as an opportunity to rest key players nursing injuries after an extended super rugby campaign.

Thoughts?

Looking at the bigger picture, has Deans publicly said he will use the 3N for trialling players and combos? IMO, the winner of the 3N will be the winner of the World Cup as it will show the real depth of a country's player squad.

I see two clear strategies. Send out the strongest available team in each game of the 3N in the hope of winning as much as possible and demoralising the opposition. Or select conservatively at the outset with a greater emphasis on building momentum for a run for the finals. I seem to recall de Villiers saying he will not play his strongest team for the 3N in that he wants to cotton wool his older core player squad. The ABs are tentative when under pressure (i.e. world cup final on home soil) and will want to create a winning team ethos so I expect them to come out all guns blazing in the 3N. I'd be interested in hearing what people think Deans will do and his chances of success. I reckon that Deans will play his strongest team first up then take it one game at a time.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
From a match fitness point of view I can understand the likes of Elsom, TPN, Palu etc but if you want to find out if a new Test player is up to international standard, you can only find that out when they play the Top teams IMO.

That's what I was saying, the injured players should get game time beforehand, as should some of less experienced guys, to get a feel for international rugby. I'm not saying anyone like Pyle, Samo or Robinson will be in the 22 come Tri-Nations time, but those blokes are pushing for WC spots, they won't get many chances apart from the tests against Samoa ect

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
While I am a Tah's fan, there is no way Palu can still be ahead of Samo at 8 in my opinion. Samo has shown against both the Blues and the Crusaders to be our most dominant forward. He is arguably the best 8 in Super 15 at the moment...

Samo just amazes me. 34 and still getting better. He'll be 35 come the RWC. With the amount of energy he plays with he looks like he is in his midtwenties.

There is no way he was playing this well for the wobblies and ponies before he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.