• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks III in Brisvegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Oz: Vickerman and Barnes out. Moore in for TPN, Smith for Waugh, Baxter for Dunning, Mortlock to 12 and Cross in. Sharpe to get a final chance and MMM and Mumm to vie for the pine. The competition between these two talented youngsters the next few years is going to be fascinating; MMM should get lots of time in the second row on the EoYT while Mumm has the opportunity to make 6 his own. Mumm has the advantage of a tougher body than MMM; let's hope MMM's physical troubles are behind him.

The ABs: isn't one of the wingers out? Can one of the Kiwi Scarfers give us a hand here.

Wobblies by 6 in a tight, tough game.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
AT is out, but doubt he would have been anything more than a sub.
Would expect the same team that dealt to Samoa to play, plus obviously McCaw, Sivi and Thorn back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have seen no evidence that MMM is a decent lock yet.

I think he is a 6.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
fatprop said:
I have seen no evidence that MMM is a decent lock yet.

I think he is a 6.

Agreed. But the changes Robbie has made please me, although I have my doubs with Morty at 12. His passing game is not crash hot, although I suppose neither is Nonu's.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Reading over here Barnes is still hopeful of playing.
Is that the confirmed team above?

F

formeropenside

AFAIK no team has been named; its guesswork as to what it will be.

Tahu may even stay in the 22. Dunning will stay in the 22 despite being monumentally unimpressive.

Barnes may be fit come the hour; or it could be simple mind games. I would think you would prepare differently for a Giteau - Barnes combination (which can go Barnes - Giteau just as easily) as against a Giteau - Mortlock.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lindommer said:
The competition between these two talented youngsters the next few years is going to be fascinating; MMM should get lots of time in the second row on the EoYT while Mumm has the opportunity to make 6 his own. Mumm has the advantage of a tougher body than MMM; let's hope MMM's physical troubles are behind him.

Mumm is 195 cm and can carry. McMenimen is a lanky rare 200 cm specimen who excels in the air. I continue to be mystified as to why people prefer Mumm at lock and encourage McMenimen's desire to seagull.

Give me Staniforth-Mortlock over Mortlock-Cross any day of the week. Where is Scotty anyway ? Still injured ?

We need a Scarfer to run a 'who is injured' page.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
naza said:
Lindommer said:
The competition between these two talented youngsters the next few years is going to be fascinating; MMM should get lots of time in the second row on the EoYT while Mumm has the opportunity to make 6 his own. Mumm has the advantage of a tougher body than MMM; let's hope MMM's physical troubles are behind him.

Mumm is 195 cm and can carry. McMenimen is a lanky rare 200 cm specimen who excels in the air. I continue to be mystified as to why people prefer Mumm at lock and encourage McMenimen's desire to seagull.

MMM is good in the lineout, but whenever he is in the 2nd row our scrum crumbles (remember Twickenham?). Mumm seems to hold it up OK.

N

Not Cougar Again

naza said:
Lindommer said:

Give me Staniforth-Mortlock over Mortlock-Cross any day of the week. Where is Scotty anyway ? Still injured ?

Get a grip, you still think Waugh is good!

McM and MMM are little apart, and both can carry, both can get height and both are class players!

Mortlock is rubbish, out more with injuries than on the field these days. Lets just hope he pulls off a big game on Saturday!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
NCA,

You have the memory of a goldfish. Mortlock was excellent prior to the last game, when he was, as you say, rubbish. Let's wait until the old bloke has 2 bad games in a row before we shoot him, eh?

But then again, I agree with naza about McMeniman and Mumm (McMenimumm?) so what would I know?

N

Not Cougar Again

I too hope Morts hold together for the test on Saturday evening.....I just don't think he will last...but one never knows

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have no doubt that he will walk out onto that field the most fired up and focussed player of either team, and that the kiwis will view him as the largest threat in breaking their line, as he has prove time and time again.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The Kiwi's are unable to tackle Mortlock, they don't call him the Evil Wizard for nothing.

But on the subject of McMinimum. This guy has had nothing but hype for the last I don't know how long, but still hasn't lived up to it, even when fit which for him has been a lot this season. I'd love to see him blow us away, but he hasn't. With less hype Mumm has probably made more things happen.

In the EU tour it would be good to see the likes of Kimlin - a proper lock - get a good run.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Not Cougar Again said:
naza said:
Lindommer said:

Get a grip, you still think Waugh is good!

McM and MMM are little apart, and both can carry, both can get height and both are class players!

Mortlock is rubbish, out more with injuries than on the field these days. Lets just hope he pulls off a big game on Saturday!

I've been bashing Waugh all year. Do try and keep up.

Mortlock is easily our best back, the only world class back we have at present. His injury rate is because he plays with such intensity and hardness, sacrificing his body. If we had 22 Mortlocks, we'd never lose a game. And, cause everyone does this to me - Who would you rather see there ? Tubby Turinui ? Ryan Cross, the heir to Lote's crabbing crown ?

Sure, McMenimen's scrummaging is poor. So why should he be rewarded for it with the 6 jersey ? Its a bit like those who think TPN deserves the Wallaby no 8 spot after failing miserably at hooker. Too many uppercuts to dish out, too little time...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
naza said:
Sure, McMenimen's scrummaging is poor. So why should he be rewarded for it with the 6 jersey ? Its a bit like those who think TPN deserves the Wallaby no 8 spot after failing miserably at hooker. Too many uppercuts to dish out, too little time...

I didn't say we should give him the 6 jersey, rather that he is a better 6 than he is a 5. Mumm is still better than him at blindside, so is Elsom (who I think is probably the greatest Australian rugby player of the last thirty years).

And no-one said we should give TPN the 8 jersey- rather that he would make a better 8 than he would a 2. Nobody is disputing Palu's supremacy, naz, so don't stress.

S

Sardyntjie

Man I will be rooting for the Wallabies big time.

[size=10pt][size=10pt]GO AUS...[/size][/size]

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
barbarian said:
naza said:

I didn't say we should give him the 6 jersey, rather that he is a better 6 than he is a 5. Mumm is still better than him at blindside, so is Elsom (who I think is probably the greatest Australian rugby player of the last thirty years).

Oh, you went for a bit too much on your :fishing expedition there..cause everyone knows that player is George Gregan.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm going to pull rank on you here Naza: the best Australian rugby player of the last 30 years is Mark Ella, by a long straw. Probably seen a few more blokes go around than you. One of the (few) benefits of age and wisdom.

A

Alis Choice

I was reading on smh.com.au today that Barnes was still hopeful of playing.

I really think he holds the key. For the aussies to win their backline needs to outplay the All Black's back division. Without Barnes' skills and vision at 12 I can't see that happening.

Moore on for TPN is a real bonus for the Wallabies. TPN must still have nightmares after his performance at Eden Park a month ago.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
There is no way that fat plodding slob is the best in 30 years. Nobody comes close to Horan. Anyway, that's another thread you thread hijacker !

Luke Burgess on Wallaby tactics

"Robbie has got a strategy for counter attacking and it's very effective," he added.

"It's about getting on the front-foot and playing attacking football. Clearing your head of any rubbish, just playing a good option and executing as well.

"We look to either contest the ball, kick to space or attack. There are three options which are standard from every counter situation.

"But where the effectiveness comes from is making the decision early, committing to it and having everyone support a decision that's made early.

"You might notice Adam Ashley-Cooper kick lots of high contestables and getting a challenge on that 50-50 ball. That certainly presents us with a lot of opportunities to get that ball back.

"We're loving that high up-and-under. We're loving getting a challenge on that kick and getting the ball back and that certainly has been working for us.

So, that is a tactic.. :eek: They clearly have been neglecting the 'chase & challenge' aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.