• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Saturday 26th August at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Okay, for next Saturday, can anyone tell me the injury status of Hunt, Latu, Naivalu and DHP?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^^
Unfortunately, even if those guys are fit, they would not make a difference.

Chek, Grey and Larkham will continue with their shit selections and strategies, expecting something to change dramatically. It won't.

The win/loss ratio will continue to slide. I fear we will lose to the AB's and Saffas in all matches and hopefully beat the Argies (although that is an each way bet).

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Not disputing that Scrubber, just working out what options we have for next weekend.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
A pragmatic problem;
Do you pick a backline who can all defend in their designated positions in order to establish if the system we use on D is any good?
Principle here is; Keep it Simple, everyone knows their job because it coincides with the number on their back.
Other principle is that a narrow loss to the AB's might set up a win v's the Springboks.

If that's the case you end up with;

9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Foloau
12. Hunt / Meekes / Hodge
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Beale / DHP

If Foley cannot defend at 10 then we need to find a 10 who can stay in the line.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant 1: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant 2: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
TMO: Rowan Kitt (England)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^^^^
Unfortunately, even if those guys are fit, they would not make a difference.

Chek, Grey and Larkham will continue with their shit selections and strategies, expecting something to change dramatically. It won't.

The win/loss ratio will continue to slide. I fear we will lose to the AB's and Saffas in all matches and hopefully beat the Argies (although that is an each way bet).

100% Scrubber.

Just like Australian rugby's quality and success level over time will never exceed the calibre and capability of the ARU board (whatever that may be), an elite rugby team's results will never exceed the calibre and capability of its entire coaching group (whatever that may be). Team selections per se will make very little difference to this truth.

I have said many times here that I could envisage Cheika as _potentially_ a good national rugby coach in that I sense his people management and motivational skills are good to excellent, but I soon (during 2015) came to believe that he will sadly be undone by (a) his incapacity to understand the crucial importance at international level of a deep and wide enough group of highly capable assistants under him and (b) the related serious misjudgements he has made in appointments to his coaching team that are inadequately qualified and proven for their roles coupled with (c) the fact that some key roles are simply not appointed at all (e.g. Forwards Coach and Mental Skills Coach).

Cheika has pre-destined himself to failure and the consequences of his misjudgments in coaching team construction are now fully apparent to all.

The double, exacerbating problem is that our truly hopeless, poorly qualified ARU elite does not possess any executive group of the technical and coaching experience and wisdom able to add wise counsel to Cheika and assist him, or insist to him, on taking a better path regarding his managerial resources within the Wallaby coaching group.

This being one of the many dimensions in which NZ Rugby is so strong - in their HQ they consciously possess the experience and capability to counsel and guide - and intervene when necessary - all the elite coaching teams within the code there, including the AB coaching team.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Believe it or not, I couldn't care less but

Last year during the mid year tests in Sydney I was told by the mother of a player that Cheika and co. had lost the playing group. I was actually taken back a little at the time

I have wondered since if the reason Chek has selected so many debutants is to "buy" loyalty through selection ? He has surrounded himself and continually rewarded a few of his favoured men (who no doubt support him blindly).

It's an interesting question

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think debuts are fine with two years out from a world cup.

I don't get the impression that he has lost the playing group - his character appears to be resilient.

Larkham said that the wallabies are working on this new defensive system and its going to take time to bed in, which makes sense and the players to gain confidence in it.

I would like players to be picked to fit that system though, and if it involves some players being hidden then those players need to return a butt load of points in attack.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Believe it or not, I couldn't care less but

Last year during the mid year tests in Sydney I was told by the mother of a player that Cheika and co. had lost the playing group. I was actually taken back a little at the time

I have wondered since if the reason Chek has selected so many debutants is to "buy" loyalty through selection ? He has surrounded himself and continually rewarded a few of his favoured men (who no doubt support him blindly).

It's an interesting question

Considering Richard Graham (per the rumour mill) lost the playing group in 2014, I won't be surprised if he lasts a little longer.

Let's get further into conspiracy territory: Fardy, Quade and Higgers didn't make the squad because they were opposed to Cheika in private

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

I don't get the impression that he has lost the playing group - his character appears to be resilient.

Larkham said that the wallabies are working on this new defensive system and its going to take time to bed in, which makes sense and the players to gain confidence in it.

I would like players to be picked to fit that system though, and if it involves some players being hidden then those players need to return a butt load of points in attack.

gel
I just don't believe what the coaches are saying. Seems like "spin" to me.

Cheika Larkham Grey and co have had the reins since 2015 and say shit to keep the hounds from baying too much. In other words tell the punters what they want to hear and the punters keep quiet and don't criticise too much. Classic misinfornation methinks

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A pragmatic problem;
Do you pick a backline who can all defend in their designated positions in order to establish if the system we use on D is any good?
Principle here is; Keep it Simple, everyone knows their job because it coincides with the number on their back.
Other principle is that a narrow loss to the AB's might set up a win v's the Springboks.

If that's the case you end up with;

9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Foloau
12. Hunt / Meekes / Hodge
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Beale / DHP

If Foley cannot defend at 10 then we need to find a 10 who can stay in the line.

Folau can't defend a wing, he was skinned by Ioane who had absolutely no space to work with whatsoever. Actually, Folau can't defend from anywhere very effectively.

You want a defensive side? Here it is:

Genia
Foley
DHP
Hunt/Meakes
Kuridrani
Naivalu/Koroibete (he can defend a wing)
Beale

Ruru/Louwrens
Hodge
Hunt/Meakes

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Kane Hames called into AB squad for Crockett with apprentice prop Moli rejoining as do Milner-Skudder & Havili. Also a callup for Akira Ioane, presumably in place of Kaino although that's not been made clear other than Shag saying something about there being no need to rush JK back after Squire's performance.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11908050

Sorry to say but it's completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game. The WB coach team need to overhaul their "strategy" (yes, you have to be loose with terminology when talking about this group). In the mean time, NZ no longer require their 3rd or 4th best 15 to beat the WBs. A carefully selected ITM group would do.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Part the taking time for it to bed in has to be letting players build up combinations and trust

dru

Tim Horan (67)
"Cheika wanted his team to get up and into the faces of the All Blacks. He didn't expect his team to tackle like vegans at a greased pig competition"

Lost my shit in the office at that.

It's also utter rubbish. If Cheika had a modicum of sense, he would have understood that he set up the team to be vegans at a BBQ.

No Brumbieman, it's not funny, it's disgraceful. It was also completely predictable.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Folau can't defend a wing, he was skinned by Ioane who had absolutely no space to work with whatsoever. Actually, Folau can't defend from anywhere very effectively.

Folau's copping a lot of flack for someone who actually didn't miss a single tackle Sat night.
Topped the stats for runs and line breaks.
Yes he made a defensive misread when he didn't trust his inside man - Sio who was lined up on Barrett. He was in two minds and paid the price.
Stuff up - yes.
Bad enough to drop one of our best attacking players - madness

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm not for a minute advocating dropping Folau, however to suggest he didn't miss Ioane is just rubbish, ffs I was there watching it! Folau is possibly the most damaging runner with the ball in Aus rugby, and I don't think there is anyone better in the world under the high ball, however his defence is less than brilliant, he fails to get himself into the correct position to make an effective tackle, and as a result has often been beaten in Super rugby this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.