• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Predicting anyone who was in the RWC Final 23 who is available will be in this 23.....maybe some new blood to fill the gaps? Haylett-Petty a deserved selection for one of the vacant wing spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I actually expect we will see a different sort of backline with the unavailability of both Beale and To'omua. Unlike others I just don't see Lilo as up to the job and I would expect that he'll be bench coverage for 10/12. The pack I think will be pretty as it was last year, with Slipper and Holmes starting probably.

I think we'll see that without Beale or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Chieka will be looking for a winger and 15 who can kick reliably, otherwise the Poms have an easy game plan to pin the Wallabies in their own half and defend. Simple and direct and dangerous for a Chieka side running out with the limitations exposed in the Tahs in 2015.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The team will be.........

2015 RWC 2016 Wallabies

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas Arnold or Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Genia Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Giteau Beale To'omua Lealiifano
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Tomane Mitchell Speight DHP
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Mumm or Skelton
20. McCalman or McMahon
21. Frisby
22. Kerevi
23. Hunt or Naiyaravoro

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I agree with that team in it's entirety except that I reckon Skelton is before Arnold in the pecking order. So the other lock will be either Horwill or Skelton.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Skelton could be on the bench but he won't start, so I think it will come down to Arnold or Horwill for the other starting spot..........

Edit: If Cheika wants McMahon on the bench then I don't think you can have Skelton in the 23.

Arnold has the form, but Horwill has been brought into squad despite not really being necessary so that could indicate that Cheika sees him as a direct replacement for Douglas.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Wouldnt count out Coleman. His attack work balances Simmons' impressive defense this season and he seems the type Cheika likes.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Like that team Slim. Looking at Kerevi's stats it's hard to see how you could leave him out of the starting side, but i do agree that Cheika is not going to re-invent the wheel. test to waters from the bench in this series and see how he fairs at 12 and 13. I think he's going to be a star for the wallabies though

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Mumm or Skelton
20. McCalman or McMahon
21. Frisby
22. Kerevi
23. Hunt or Naiyaravoro

A bench with Kerevi and Naiyaravoro at the same time is a suicide. Both have very limited skill set

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Without Beale, To'omua and Gits we may see a whole new approach from the backs with the second playmaker being at 13(Folau) and the 12 being a bit more gainline oriented (Kerevi or Kurindrani).
If we start with Foley at 10 and Lealifano at 12 who backs them up on the bench?? Lealifano needs to be on the bench.
But, this means we need Hunt or DHP starting at 15. Most likely Hunt.
Bench would have either of Kerevi or Kuridrani on it alongside Frisby and a back 3 player.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Just because Lilo has to be the back up 10 doesn't preclude him from starting at 12 (see the way the Tahs used Foley and Beale for the last 3-4 years).

I have also previously stated that I think the Tahs not having a primary ball carrying threat in the centers or on the wing is what was making it easy for teams to double Mark Izzy at 15 early in the Super Rugby season. The wallabies shouldn't have that problem with 2 damaging runners an option (Kuridrani and Kerevi). That said, Izzy has made a good fist of his run at 13.

My preference would be for
10 Foley
12 Lilo
13 TK (on reputation atm)
14 DHP
15 Folau

22. Kerevi
23. Hunt (now that Harris is injured. Would prefer another 12 but can't think k of one)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Those are 2 nice front rows! Been a while since we could say that with any regularity in Aus rugby.

Correct me if I am wrong but I'm not sure their set-piece form is as good as it was last year? The Brumbies scrum hasn't been as good.

I think England are capable of lifting their set-peice... whereas we are probably at our ceiling.

I guess I'm still worried about the scrum... Although we did win some key scrum penalities in the RWC England did still win a few scrum penalities against us early in the match.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies scrum much much better this year..........

No more giving away tight heads as soon as the bench props come on.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I like Hunt on the bench for his versatility. He can cover either of the centre positions and fullback, maybe even the wings at a pinch. There is no reason not to have Foley and Lilo as 10/12 and nearly all the other positions pick themselves for mine.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
For some reason I am not liking the idea of Lilo at 12. I would have him on the bench and go for a different centre pair, Kerevi and Kuridrani probably.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see who gets dropped from the squad this weekend.

Presumably the non announced players like Godwin and Ready will go.

I'm guessing the 9 will be:

Ala'alatoa, Hanson, Coleman, Carter, Gill, Palu, Powell, Hodge, Nabuli

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I personally could agree with those to be dropped, but I'm not sure that Cheika will drop Carter. Think he sees him as a backup to Simmons, and he was brought into the RWC squad late last year. In my view of the world, one of Skelton, Mumm or Douglas (if they are all there atm) would not make the final squad, but again they seem to be Cheika favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.