• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Saturday 16th June, 8.00pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I certainly don’t remember him jumping in line outs.

Was a pretty good fetcher though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Poidevin played at open side flanker at times, though more at blind side. Bigger than your average 7 of the era, but not much more than some these days. Can't recall him jumping a lot, but I'm sure he must have at some time??

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There’s no way Poido jumped. That was before lifting remember? You actually had to be tall to get ball. That’s why we had Cutler and Williams (or Campbell) with a Codey and / or Tuyman at the back.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
There’s no way Poido jumped. That was before lifting remember? You actually had to be tall to get ball. That’s why we had Cutler and Williams (or Campbell) with a Codey and / or Tuyman at the back.

Hence my question marks. Maybe the odd one over the back or something? It was interesting, he was sometimes picked over others (Miller, Roche etc) for his size and strength, but was 185cm and sub-100kg. Tuynman is listed at about the same height, by the way. Codey taller, obviously. How things have changed!

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
David who? God you're old! I can't remember him?

Was 6' 2" according to the internet. Compared to Eales' 6' 5"
So not tall by today's standards
DAvid-Wilson-John-eales.jpg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s got me thinking now. I certainly can’t think of too many.

I think King George may have occasionally and maybe Michael Jones from NZ, but they were both a bit taller than your average. Colby does. McCaw did, but not often. I think Hodgson did a bit, but not often. Otherwise not many I can think of - Croft, Waugh, Poido, Miller, Robinson (x 2 - the good Dr & Beau) - all no from what I remember. Overseas - Back, Kronfel - no & no.

I dunno - I’m sure there are plenty who did, but I can’t think of too many.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is that a real thing? I legit did not know that was a thing.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
According to twitter, that penalty on Saturday was the first time in 22 international matches that Tadhg Furlong conceded a penalty on his own put in.

The might of Robertson!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Poidevin played at open side flanker at times, though more at blind side. Bigger than your average 7 of the era, but not much more than some these days. Can't recall him jumping a lot, but I'm sure he must have at some time??

:D Weren't Poido and Cowboy Shaw to busy trying to nudge/hit etc each other when Wallabies/ABs played for either of them to jump? Those were the days when the jumpers jumped and the rest tried to accidentaly hold them down;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Status
Not open for further replies.