• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Saturday 16th June, 8.00pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
A big crowd is expected in Melbourne, with 28,000 tickets already sold as of Wednesday afternoon

Sounds like it will be close to a sell out - good news - especially as clashing with Socceroos v France.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Perhaps overly safe to stick with the same 15. Not a bad decision by any means, but a little bit of tinkering (like the Kiwi's often use) is by no means a bad thing. I feel like Cheika is a little too hesitant to make any changes after a win. Looking at the best teams in the world (mostly the Kiwi's) they are always tinkering, always searching, always trying different things. Cheika almost never does this he's very cautious to make unnecessary changes. Not really a criticism just an observation but it's getting close to the window closing where you can't be searching for players this close to the World Cup.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Perhaps overly safe to stick with the same 15. Not a bad decision by any means, but a little bit of tinkering (like the Kiwi's often use) is by no means a bad thing. I feel like Cheika is a little too hesitant to make any changes after a win. Looking at the best teams in the world (mostly the Kiwi's) they are always tinkering, always searching, always trying different things. Cheika almost never does this he's very cautious to make unnecessary changes. Not really a criticism just an observation but it's getting close to the window closing where you can't be searching for players this close to the World Cup.

Michael Cheika names unchanged starting team for first time as Wallabies coach for match against Argentina

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...career-to-play-argentina-20171006-gyvd3p.html

New Zealand unchanged, France make 5 changes for 2nd test

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12070423

Snotterbox

Frank Nicholson (4)
Seriously? 15 (by my count) of the match day 23 have debuted under Cheika. 3 debuted last weekend.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think most people are cautious of making unnecessary changes, because they're not necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This is patently ridiculous. I'm pretty sure i recall you stating that the second row merry-go-round was unacceptable? Cheika constantly gives new blokes a chance. All the time.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Michael Cheika names unchanged starting team for first time as Wallabies coach for match against Argentina

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...career-to-play-argentina-20171006-gyvd3p.html

New Zealand unchanged, France make 5 changes for 2nd test

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12070423

As I said, New Zealand were tinkering constantly since the RWC, and do much of their tinkering via the bench, by actually testing guys from the bench; Cheika often doesn't really test guys from the bench.

Seriously? 15 (by my count) of the match day 23 have debuted under Cheika. 3 debuted last weekend.

We have massive question marks around halfback, fly half, hooker, back row, prop - can Tupou start and can AAA play LHP?
I'm not saying it's a terrible choice to stick with the same 15, but we do need to explore those options. Maddocks vs Banks, Rona, Naivalu, Powell are all guys who are largely untested.
Just as one example, who is our second/third half back -- is Joe Powell better than Nick Phipps, we've seen Powell play well when he's played but hasn't gotten much game time. Surely there have been a few games since the RWC where you can maybe sneak a Joe on for a lil bit. No one has any idea what we do if Foley is out for an extended period of time...

Not disappointed with the same XV but I would love to see more exploration of players from the bench going forwards, like the Kiwi's often do.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
This is patently ridiculous. I'm pretty sure i recall you stating that the second row merry-go-round was unacceptable? Cheika constantly gives new blokes a chance. All the time.

Not I, at least not about the second row. But there has been a lot of exploration of the second row and we now have an idea of our second row pecking order. I'm not necessarily advocating for constantly changing sides for the sake of it, but exploring options where we have question-marks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As I said, New Zealand were tinkering constantly since the RWC, and do much of their tinkering via the bench, by actually testing guys from the bench; Cheika often doesn't really test guys from the bench.

Funny that because the Wallabies have debuted an extra 5 players than the All Blacks since the 2015 RWC.

It seems like you make no attempt to back up your perceptions with any factual material and almost all of your perceptions are completely wrong.

Anyway, this is the first time in 46 tests of being coach that Cheika has named an unchanged 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Funny that because the Wallabies have debuted an extra 5 players than the All Blacks since the 2015 RWC.

It seems like you make no attempt to back up your perceptions with any factual material and almost all of your perceptions are completely wrong.

Anyway, this is the first time in 46 tests of being coach that Cheika has named an unchanged 23.
Is the bench confirmed?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

Like I said, it's not the number of players, it's the number of question marks we have either for a first option or a second. Hooker, halfback, flyhalf, many people would like to see Folau tried on the wing, our back row structure (persisting far too long with Haingan). 13 appears to be settled but is still a question-mark.

Where the Kiwi's have a question-mark over a good player or a position, they often try those guys off the bench, they find time to find where D-Mac fits, they are exploring alternative captains.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
1. Scott Sio (44 Tests)
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa (1 Test)
3. Sekope Kepu (92 Tests)
4. Izack Rodda (5 Tests)
5. Adam Coleman (21 Tests)
6. David Pocock (67 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (c) (80 Tests)
8. Caleb Timu (1 Test)
9. Will Genia (89 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (56 Tests)
11. Marika Koroibete (9 Tests)
12. Kurtley Beale (72 Tests)
13. Samu Kerevi (19 Tests)
14. Dane Haylett-Petty (19 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (63 Tests)

Reserves
16. Tolu Latu (5 Tests)
17. Tom Robertson (19 Tests)
18. Taniela Tupou (2 Tests)
19. Rob Simmons (83 Tests)
20. Lukhan Tui (5 Tests)
21. Pete Samu (1 Test)
22. Nick Phipps (62 Tests)
23. Reece Hodge (25 Tests)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Like I said, it's not the number of players, it's the number of question marks we have either for a first option or a second. Hooker, halfback, flyhalf, many people would like to see Folau tried on the wing, our back row structure (persisting far too long with Haingan). 13 appears to be settled but is still a question-mark.

Where the Kiwi's have a question-mark over a good player or a position, they often try those guys off the bench, they find time to find where D-Mac fits, they are exploring alternative captains.

You have literally no information to back that up apart from your gut feeling and your dislike for Cheika.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
You have literally no information to back that up apart from your gut feeling and your dislike for Cheika.

Then what is our depth chart at flyhalf, at scrum half, hooker, and fullback?
What is our best back row configuration (I'll concede this because we didn't have Pocock last year)?
Can Tupou start? Can AAA play LHP and THP?
Who other than Beale can play 12 if he's playing 10 should Foley go down?

My point is Cheika doesn't have answers for a lot of these questions. You ask the same questions about the Kiwi's and they have a lot less question-marks and have explored a lot more of those combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.