• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspect they'll go pretty close to status quo but I'd consider something like:

15 Tom Banks
14 Sefa Naivalu
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
12 Samu Kerevi
11 Marika Korobiete
10 Matt To'omua
9 Nick Phipps

8 Peter Samu
7 Michael Hooper
6 Jack Dempsey
5 Rory Arnold
4 Adam Coleman
3 Taniela Tupou
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
1 Sekope Kepu

16 Folau Fainga'a
17 Jermaine Ainsley
18 Allan Ala'alatoa
19 Rob Simmons
20 Ned Hanigan
21 Jake Gordon
22 Jack Maddocks
23 Jordan Petaia

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
^ with our W/L record this year I don't think we can afford to be experimental....

Maybe fly out a couple new coaches though ;)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^ with our W/L record this year I don't think we can afford to be experimental..

Maybe fly out a couple new coaches though ;)

With our W/L record we may as well be experimental, safe selections haven't exactly helped us. No disrespect to the Italian backs, but it's not like giving Petaia an opportunity for ten minutes against Italy is akin to running him out against Lomu. If we lose to Italy because Petaia, coming off the bench, screws something up I don't think we will have played particularly well anyhow.

B

Bobby Sands

I suspect they'll go pretty close to status quo but I'd consider something like:

15 Tom Banks
14 Sefa Naivalu
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
12 Samu Kerevi
11 Marika Korobiete
10 Matt To'omua
9 Nick Phipps

8 Peter Samu
7 Michael Hooper
6 Jack Dempsey
5 Rory Arnold
4 Adam Coleman
3 Taniela Tupou
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
1 Sekope Kepu

16 Folau Fainga'a
17 Jermaine Ainsley
18 Allan Ala'alatoa
19 Rob Simmons
20 Ned Hanigan
21 Jake Gordon
22 Jack Maddocks
23 Jordan Petaia

Pocock, Haylett-Petty?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Italy have got to be thinking that underdog status might not quite capture their true chance here.

Rest Pocock rather than Hooper? I'd check his how fresh he is returning from the Kiwi neck rolls, but if good let Hooper take a break. Even though I like Phipps, it seems a pity to partner To'omua with him - though I do understand keeping Genia fresh. Love the bench of Gordon, Maddocks, Petaia. Dempsey must continue and build game time.

Agree with the chance to start Tupou.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is an interesting one. Not many of us going to get too excited about it, but you have to recognise what an achievement it would be from a bloke who has contributed to the Wallabies for a very long time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would definitely start Petaia at 13 with Kerevi in the 12 spot. Good idea to rest the usual starting front row and Pocock. Otherwise, from Reg's side, I would start Gordon at 9 with Phipps again off the bench.

And I would swap Dempsey and Samu around.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Pocock at 7 with Dempsey 8. Valentini on the bench for 20 minutes to see what he can do.
It’s outrageous that Higgers is not on tour. There is not a single recognised 8 man except for the bloke who is not eligible. Another reminder of the coaches destructive stubborn streak.

I don't see how Valetini can be any less effective than Hanigan, may as well give him a run and kick start his career.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would like them to give 10. Foley, 12. To'omua 13. Kerevi a go with an intent to keep them together vs England.

I don’t see how Beale can be a justified selection v England, but I wouldn’t like to go into that test with a completely new combination either.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It's highly unlikely we'll see him. He is, however, a bit different to the normal development players in that if he had played a near full Super season he may well have had a shot at making the actual Wallabies squad given the lack of depth at 6 and 8 and his obvious talent. Tupou and Maddocks were never realistically in with a shot at playing when they toured as development players the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.