• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Did people forget that Italy is a legit 3rd tier team? They're ranked 13th. They fucking played like it, too.

One would hope that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wouldn't look totally incompetent against them - they are about the calibre of a decent Top League side. Now he should start in the centres against England? Holy shit.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Rankings movements after last night's smorgasbord:

1New Zealand92.54(-1.05)
2Ireland91.17(+1.05)
3Wales86.70
4England85.54
5South Africa85.12(+1.18)
6(↑7)Australia83.08(+0.57)
7(↓6)Scotland81.57(-1.18)
8France78.88(+0.68)
9Argentina77.32(-0.68)
10Fiji76.40
11Japan75.24
12Tonga73.84
13(↑15)USA73.66(+1.34)
14(↓13)Italy72.75(-0.57)
15(↓14)Georgia72.60(+0.22)
16(↑17)Samoa67.39(-0.22)
17(↓16)Romania66.91(-1.34)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Did people forget that Italy is a legit 3rd tier team? They're ranked 13th. They fucking played like it, too.

One would hope that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wouldn't look totally incompetent against them - they are about the calibre of a decent Top League side. Now he should start in the centres against England? Holy shit.
If the whole team played the house down, I would understand your comment - but we generally struggled & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) clearly handled the occasion. We’re not talking promotion because he had a good game, he had a much better game then some of the other available options.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Only watched the last 30 minutes I thought Italy had us but for their line outs... if they can fix this they can be a good team...

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Just came to say that the Wallabies kicking game is bizarre. They kick like it is 1995. No contested box kicks, few kicks along the touch line, just sitting in the pocket and punting it down the middle of the field.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yes and no, for years scratch Aus test "B"sides have struggled to perform against the lessor rank sides

It was nice to see someone perform better than I was expecting he still could

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could go to 13... I like him he doesn’t drop the Ball...

Hey but jeez Izzy looked slow run down by the Italian winger after a good head start... those legs aren’t so speedy anymore... Banks would have scored 10 metres clear

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could go to 13. I like him he doesn’t drop the Ball.

Hey but jeez Izzy looked slow run down by the Italian winger after a good head start. those legs aren’t so speedy anymore. Banks would have scored 10 metres clear
I wonder if a team with Naivalu, Koro and DHP as the back 3 would go much worse than one with Folau in it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I wonder if a team with Naivalu, Koro and DHP as the back 3 would go much worse than one with Folau in it.

Apart from Kerevi, Folau still looked our most threatening player. Half his problem was getting crowded out by the inside backs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could go to 13. I like him he doesn’t drop the Ball.

Hey but jeez Izzy looked slow run down by the Italian winger after a good head start. those legs aren’t so speedy anymore. Banks would have scored 10 metres clear

Folau has never been "quick"

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Then he probably should not be on the wing. 15 or 13 for mine.
I still don’t rate Kerevi above him or TK at OC. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is probably ahead of him as well.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Then he probably should not be on the wing. 15 or 13 for mine.
I still don’t rate Kerevi above him or TK at OC. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is probably ahead of him as well.

He's no 15 as he can't kick. He can't really pass either, but I'd rather a 13 that can't pass than a 15 that can't kick.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Just came to say that the Wallabies kicking game is bizarre. They kick like it is 1995. No contested box kicks, few kicks along the touch line, just sitting in the pocket and punting it down the middle of the field.

We do not do box kicks. I struggle to think of an Australian half back at any level, of any era, who can or could execute a decent box kick. This is just not a skill that we have ever wanted in our repetoire.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We do not do box kicks. I struggle to think of an Australian half back at any level, of any era, who can or could execute a decent box kick. This is just not a skill that we have ever wanted in our repetoire.
Shame, because a good boxkick with Izzy and Koro chasing it down would be an absolute weapon. 50% chance of winning it back in the air or otherwise a dominant tackle.

We toyed with this kind of kicking game in the first Ireland match and have shelved it ever since.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Shame, because a good boxkick with Izzy and Koro chasing it down would be an absolute weapon. 50% chance of winning it back in the air or otherwise a dominant tackle.

We toyed with this kind of kicking game in the first Ireland match and have shelved it ever since.

Toying is the best we can do at this stage.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
watching AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) involved just reinforces my view we are lacking in Rugby IQ. Those preaching for Kerevi 12 and Petaia 13 are forgetting the sheer brain power required to excel as a combination at the highest levels.

I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was fantastic clearly because he was involved in organising and communication more and more throughout the match.

Kerevi 12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 13 same as a SBW/Crotty or Nonu/Smith. One brawn, one brain.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not calling for Petaia to be blooded against England. The opportunity for him was against Italy and, unfortunately, he lucked out.

However when you are talking ‘brain power’ I am assuming you mean things like instincts, good decision making and good communication.

I know Petaia is a big, powerful body, but it’s his decision making and composure (in attack & defence) which makes him stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.