• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks, Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTruth

Wallabies by 10
team is going to be interesting especially THP and bench, and back 3 - think Simmons will get his starting shot this week

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
The Boks will be angry no doubt; the question is will it be dumb angry or applied angry?

Do we know who is reffing yet? Also anyone willing to say that Gits should be on the bench as 9/10/12 cover?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Boks will be angry no doubt; the question is will it be dumb angry or applied angry?

Do we know who is reffing yet? Also anyone willing to say that Gits should be on the bench as 9/10/12 cover?[/QUOTE

history would suggest dumb angry, unfortunately history also suggests that they will get away with dumb cheap shots off the ball.
I am willing to say gits on the bench for cover is a good idea. My dad always say class is permanent , form is temporary(yes i know the definition of temporary is being stretched in this case!)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
People often talk about teams, especially the Boks, being "angry" after a loss, but the truth of professional sports is that losses are the result of one team being not as good as another, and all things being equal, the most likely result after a loss is an other loss.

I hope it is true in this case. The question is whether all things are equal. Are the Boks just not a good as we thought (and not as good as last year) or have they just had two bad days at the office? And will they be less good than the Wallabies next weekend?

I think the Boks will play about the same, with some tiredness offset by some replacements. Who knows what version of the Wallabies will show up?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Boks,definately not as good as last year, as it has been commented on previously. the new interptation re tacklers releasing, has reduced the effectiveness of the up & under.Last year it was like shooting fish in a barrel.Kick it, chase it hard, watch them drop it or hang on hard & get the penalty for them not releasing. Kick the penalty, Repeat.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Boks,definately not as good as last year, as it has been commented on previously. the new interptation re tacklers releasing, has reduced the effectiveness of the up & under.Last year it was like shooting fish in a barrel.Kick it, chase it hard, watch them drop it or hang on hard & get the penalty for them not releasing. Kick the penalty, Repeat.

and the best play in the world being injured Fourie du Preez

C

chief

I read Clancy. Who the hell is Clancy?

Wobs to lose by 8. There's no such thing as a 3 in a row loss for the Boks.

W

WB3

I'm with Meatsack. Giteau would make a great cover for those positions on the bench. I could see him playing ANY backline position if necessary, but his current form doesn't warrant starting selection. I'm also a bit sick of the whole "2 playmakers" policy that the Wallabies have been using for ages now. Quade Cooper is good enough to do the job on his own and a more direct running game seems to be working against the Boks, so, disregarding his current inability to properly combine with Cooper, Giteau either needs to act as a running threat himself more than an alternate playmaker or someone like Fainga'a should get a crack. Having an inside center who loves the odd crashball is useful for attracting inside backs as defenders so that the next phase leaves either forwards covering their channel or empty space, which creates opportunities.
The other upside to losing Giteau for Fainga'a would be having one less bloke who keeps kicking out there!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jean de Villiers has been banned for two weeks for his tackle on Ranger last night, so Aplon to replace him?

Yes. But after Olivier's bad two weeks JdV would for sure have started at 12. Major setback. Nightmare two weeks.

Olivier will start again unless they have the balls to play Juan de Jongh. Don't think they do.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes. But after Olivier's bad two weeks JdV would for sure have started at 12. Major setback. Nightmare two weeks.

Olivier will start again unless they have the balls to play Juan de Jongh. Don't think they do.

Is it because de Jongh is inexperienced? He's looked bloody good from what little I've seen of him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mitchell and Shepherd have officially been brought into the squad. Cummins will keep training but for whatever reason is not officially part of the Wallaby squad.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Is it because de Jongh is inexperienced? He's looked bloody good from what little I've seen of him.

Bring in de Jongh on merit. But it has to be said that it would also satisfy the quota, thus allowing them to get rid of pie eater and bring in a better scrum half.

Whoops, this is not the week to be offering them help. Please keep pie eater so Genia can completely out class him. That's better.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

After Auckland the Bokke should have been angry. Their performance in Wellington with "same old same old" suggests that they are dumb angry and do not have the ability to turn the good ship Bokke around. Unless there are widespread changes to Bokke, then changes in tactics are similarly unlikely.

Coach de Villiers and his management team do not appear to have the mental agility to react to the new environment. There would be a good chance of the Bokke playing the same in Brisbane as they have in the land of the long flat vowel. Angry yes, but while they keep blaming everything else - Referees in particular, for their losses then all Dingo Deans needs to do is to have the Wobblies play with pace as the AB's have. This and the Brisbane hoodoo will see a threepeat loss for the Bokke.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and the best play in the world being injured Fourie du Preez

The lack of FdP is having a major impact on Bokke performance. Where is the much vaunted depth? ? ?

Injuries are a fact of life at top level international rugby. Coaches need to develop understudies to give them options to cover the inevitable.

The Wobbolies have been missing many first choices this year through injuries and copping it from the peanut gallery. Dingo Deans has had to make the most of the best of the rest, and has been copping it. When the injured come back, you will see a different team.

The Brisbane result will be Aus by 12 or more if de Villiers does not make wholesale changes to his team and tactics.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The problem isn't a lack of depth it is the same problem Oz has but to a worse extent. Poor selection. JdV is not a winger and was caught out of position quite a few times. Januarie is not the second and probably not the third best SH available. Butch James - how he gets a bench spot is beyond me.

Apart from FdP being injured I think the second most valuable player in the Bok squad last year was Juan Smith.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I won't be brave like some others and make any prediction until we see what 22 is named. I have a sinking feeling it will be more of the same and if that is the case I expect the same level of performance and either a close win or a big loss.

I hope to see Chisholm & Brown gone, Sharpe on the bench, Giteau on the bench and starts for A. Fainga'a, Simmons and Higgenbum.

My prefered 22
1. Fatcat
2. Moore
3. Ma'afu (only because Slipper can cover both sides and is more important from the bench)
4. Mumm
5. Simmons
6. Higginbum
7. Pocock
8. Elsom
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Fainga'a
13. Horne
14. Shepherd
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. S. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe
19. Hodgeson (far more versatile than Brown and much more application)
20. Giteau
21. Beale
22. JOC (James O'Connor)

Status
Not open for further replies.