• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales (Cardiff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it's probably worth starting the same backline but give Kerevi a few more minutes with a view to starting him v England. To'omua comes on to the bench in place of Banks.

In the forwards, TPN in for Latu and Coleman for Rodda. Perhaps Dempsey starts over Ned.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not sure either of Kerevi or Dempsey will be asked to start. Would be nice though.

Would much rather see Petaia given a debut than have Folau at 13, but that won't happen.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Whilst we have all of Folau, Kerevi and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) fit and available he's not going to get a starting debut against a tier 1 side and nor should he. He will debut off the bench and most likely on the wing, against Italy I'd say.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not sure either of Kerevi or Dempsey will be asked to start. Would be nice though.

Would much rather see Petaia given a debut than have Folau at 13, but that won't happen.

So you want Petaia to mark Jonathan Davis in his first test

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It is more than apparent that Cheika is protected until after the RWC 2019. I would therefore like to see the following side selected for Wales, and I'm pretty sure it will be close.

Sio, TPN, Ala'alatoa, Simmons, Coleman, Hanigan, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale, Folau, Koroibete, DHP.

Reserves : Latu, Kepu, Tupou, Rodda, Dempsey, Phipps, Kerevi, Naivalu.

With that side, I can see a Wales win coming. TPN and Latu are the two poorest lineout throwers in the squad, so the lineout will be a shambles. Any forwards pack that contains Simmons, Hanigan and the Pooper together will get monstered so we'll have little success at the breakdown. Willy G is having real issues with the defensive system that has him defending the back of the ruck and maul. We all know Foley's limitations at No 10 and his inability to win a kicking contest for territory. Foley and Beale together will be an open invitation to run the ball directly at them. Folau has no idea at all about defending at 13 and little about attacking there too. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) anywhere will be an embarrassment while Koroibete and DHP are both defensive liabilities at the back.

Maybe 80 minutes of scrummaging is our best chance.

Anyway, with another loss under our belts, perhaps we could see a new side rolled out for the Italians. Something like:

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Coleman, Dempsey, Pocock, Valetini, Genia, To'omua, Naivalu, Kerevi, Pertaia, Banks, Folau. With the chances of a good win against the Azzuri, we might even see some of this new team retained in their rightful positions for England and for next year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Don't bother engaging Derpus, you'll just waste your time.

If Wales can't beat us now, though, then I'm not sure when they ever will. This is actually a really important game for us, by far the most important of the tour.

We win this, the hoodoo extends and on neutral ground next year we'd be strong favourites.

I hope we throw the kitchen sink at these guys. No experimental picks, no untried debutants. All out fire from the opening kick-off.

Otherwise they win, we lose the mental edge and the World Cup becomes a much greater challenge.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

If Wales can't beat us now, though, then I'm not sure when they ever will. This is actually a really important game for us, by far the most important of the tour.

We win this, the hoodoo extends and on neutral ground next year we'd be strong favourites.

I hope we throw the kitchen sink at these guys. No experimental picks, no untried debutants. All out fire from the opening kick-off.

Otherwise they win, we lose the mental edge and the World Cup becomes a much greater challenge.

Things are getting tough when even barbarian is voicing “what if” consequences. I can only agree that this tour will be challenging and that if Wales can’t win this one, will they ever?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It is more than apparent that Cheika is protected until after the RWC 2019. I would therefore like to see the following side selected for Wales, and I'm pretty sure it will be close.

Sio, TPN, Ala'alatoa, Simmons, Coleman, Hanigan, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale, Folau, Koroibete, DHP.

Reserves : Latu, Kepu, Tupou, Rodda, Dempsey, Phipps, Kerevi, Naivalu.

With that side, I can see a Wales win coming. TPN and Latu are the two poorest lineout throwers in the squad, so the lineout will be a shambles. Any forwards pack that contains Simmons, Hanigan and the Pooper together will get monstered so we'll have little success at the breakdown. Willy G is having real issues with the defensive system that has him defending the back of the ruck and maul. We all know Foley's limitations at No 10 and his inability to win a kicking contest for territory. Foley and Beale together will be an open invitation to run the ball directly at them. Folau has no idea at all about defending at 13 and little about attacking there too. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) anywhere will be an embarrassment while Koroibete and DHP are both defensive liabilities at the back.

Maybe 80 minutes of scrummaging is our best chance.

Anyway, with another loss under our belts, perhaps we could see a new side rolled out for the Italians. Something like:

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Coleman, Dempsey, Pocock, Valetini, Genia, To'omua, Naivalu, Kerevi, Pertaia, Banks, Folau. With the chances of a good win against the Azzuri, we might even see some of this new team retained in their rightful positions for England and for next year.

I don't see Beale wearing anything but the No 12 jersey, and I see Kerevi starting at 13, as that's where Cheika needs him to be. But as he only played part of the previous game against the AB from the bench (and what a cracker of a game he had), he will start and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be on the bench as a utility back covering a number of positions, and will run on depending on the performances of each of the outside backs + outside centre.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Read on the Roar a suggestion that to counter the box kicking game we should employ a back three combination of Beale, DHP and Folau, which is interesting.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Good advice Barbs. I have ignored Derpus now for about a month because there is just no point in responding to his trite, inane one liners that almost invariably contribute nothing to any discussion.

OTH, my post contained what I think Cheika will pick for Wales and a commentary on each of the weaknesses in that team. It is certainly no sure thing that the Wallabies will beat Wales and imo and that of many others it is way beyond time for some changes to be made to the Cheika preferred 23.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't see Beale wearing anything but the No 12 jersey, and I see Kerevi starting at 13, as that's where Cheika needs him to be. But as he only played part of the previous game against the AB from the bench (and what a cracker of a game he had), he will start and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be on the bench as a utility back covering a number of positions, and will run on depending on the performances of each of the outside backs + outside centre.

Emu, 12 is exactly where I have Beale in the likely Cheika team. I will admit that putting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing was more tongue in cheek, but I am not at all sure that Kerevi will be in the starting 15.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would roll the dice

Sio,
TPN,
Ala'alatoa,
Simmons,
Coleman,
Hanigan,
Hooper,
Pocock,