1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney, 3rd Test, 25 June @ 8:00pm

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by The torpedo, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Brumby Runner John Eales (66)

Maybe not clear, but if the Wallabies win by > 50, no-one will believe it was a fair dinkum contest for one reason or another. Any win at all up to a 50 point win will be trotted out as evidence of a Cheika led revolution that is destined to put the Wallabies on top of WR. Of course, any loss will be a hard pill to swallow for all of us.
  2. Joe Blow Ken Catchpole (46)

I agree with ACT Crusader. McMahon improves our lineout as he is a decent option, better than Pocock or Hooper. That is all he brings IMHO. Skelton has been good at two for the Tahs this year.
    I'd guess he is there to get across the gain line in close and suck in the defense. Hope he doesn't go for the 50-50 offloads. Dropped pill has been a big issue for us and has been more prevalent due to fact that we have had the ball pretty much all of the time.
    Skelton to go hell for leather for 40 minutes and to be replaced by Coleman for the second half. Can't wait to see what he brings. Palu drops off the bench as our back row are all 80 minute players. Mumm to replace Fardy or Simmons if need be.
  3. ForceFan Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Rather than talk about what Skelton COULD do in this game can I suggest we have a look at what he HAS done for the Waratahs in Super Rugby in 2016.

He has averaged 55 minutes per game.

In those 55 minutes he has averaged:
    + 5 tackles
    + 7 carries for 8 metres
    + A Clean Break every 5 games (1 CB/35 carries)
    + A Defender Beaten every 2.5 games (1 DB/17 carries)
    + 1 Off Load every game
    + About 2 Passes per game
    + Nearly a Line Out Won every game.
    + 15 Total Ruck Involvements (11 Attack/4 Defence)
    + 1 Turn Over Won every 2 games (= 1 TOW/8 Def Ruck Involvements).
    + 0 Tries
    + 1 Try Assist every 10 games.
    + I have no stats for impact on mauls.
    + I have no stats for effectiveness in scrums.
    + I have no stats on X-Factor.

These stats are close to what he averaged in the TRC 2015.

Obviously Cheika, Gibson and others see something that is not apparent from these numbers.

Note: There is some rounding (mostly upwards) in these numbers.
    chiraag, Ignoto, MHCS and 4 others like this.
  4. TOCC Guest

Too many players selected on form they have displayed 12 or 18months ago.

One of the better players from last week gets dropped and a few who had absolutely howler performances get retained.. It's bewildering
    Peter Toohey, ForceFan, Seb V and 2 others like this.
  5. tragic Trevor Allan (34)

Great work as usual force fan.
    So out of interest, if we picked the forwards based purely on statistics, who would fill positions 4-8? (I left the front row out as they really select themselves and scrummaging ability is more important than playing stats)
  6. KOB1987 Simon Poidevin (60)

I think it's actually experience and incumbency that they got selected on. Kuridrani over Kerevi is a case in point there.
  7. KOB1987 Simon Poidevin (60)

I think with so much experience missing from the squad c.f. the RWC team, the challenge for Cheika is to balance the experience he has at hand with the up and coming talent. For this reason players like Moore, Fardy and Kuridrani, and to a lesser extent Foley, Toomua, Horne etc are crucial to the core of the team despite their perceived lack of form. I think this has been most evident in the second row department and it won't surprise me in the slightest if it emerges that it was always his intention to try a different combination in each game.

Remember the Bledisloes last year? Despite winning the first game Cheika completely changed it up for the second because he already had a plan to do that because he needed to try out everyone, the RWC was the end goal, losing the 2nd Bledisloe was collateral damage.

I think the end goal here is actually the Bledisloe. Granted, he probably wasn't expecting to lose the series to the Poms on the way through, but ultimately he is still sorting through his options. Losing all of Beale, Toomua, Tomane, Pocock, McCalman, etc at some point prior to or during the series no doubt upset his plans more than a little too.
  8. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

They're both primarily 13s though, particularly in the type of setup the Wallabies normally play.

Sure, we could play more of a playmaker type player at 13 but we don't have anyone who is experienced doing that.

When the player we're bringing in is a 10/12 they're not going to play 13.
  9. fatprop Jason Little (69)

1/ Agreed, I think there is a consensus that believes Kurindrani was lucky to keep his spot

2/ It doesn't, but we don't have a "Conrad Smith" (or Beale from 15) this week we only have units who can play that role from 12.
    The Pirate likes this.
  10. Seb V Tony Shaw (54)

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but for a future prospect, does the distributor/playmaker need to be at 12 and 13? Why can't it come from fullback and/or wing.

For example
    10. Foley - playmaker/distributor/kicker
    11. JOC - playmaker/distributor/kicker
    12. Kerevi - runner
    13. Kuridarni - runner
    14. Beale/Folau - runner
    15. Beale/Folau - playmaker/distributor/kicker
  11. fatprop Jason Little (69)

It can, I would like to see the Reds try

12 Kerevi
    13 Hunt

Please no JOC, please
    TSR and Seb V like this.
  12. Sully John Eales (66)

I don't see Kerevi as purely a runner.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    The Pirate, No4918, USARugger and 2 others like this.
  13. biggsy Chilla Wilson (44)

I feel it's going to a 3 zip tour.
    And I can see why Cheika had no chance in changing Gills Mind to stay in Aus
    The torpedo likes this.
  14. Scrubber2050 Mark Ella (57)

So, a play maker, a distributor, a kicker ?
  15. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I agree, but he isn't the second playmaker option at 12.

He's an out and out centre who can play 12 or 13.

We are reverting to selecting a 10/12 at 12 which is what we've been doing almost exclusively for several years.
  16. Scrubber2050 Mark Ella (57)

The only reason he is going is that Hooper Pocock are definitely seen to be ahead of him and probably for a number of years.
  17. fatprop Jason Little (69)

Yep he has soft hands and with decent support runners he can be very, very effect

But his game is not about a lot of decision making so far, it is about making a break or half break and looking for support

I would prefer to see Kerevi work on his workrate off the ball than anything else. He has always been the big crashing unit and now he needs to work on his line running, dummy running etc and just doing more.
    Seb V, USARugger and Scrubber2050 like this.
  18. fatprop Jason Little (69)

I think Richard Graham had a something to do about it as well
  19. wamberal Michael Lynagh (62)

And surely your ability to read the future is wasted here? You can make a fortune trading derivatives.
  20. galumay Trevor Allan (34)

He is hardly on his Pat Malone! There are scores of couch coaches here that not only can see alternative realities, but also know better than the professional coaching and selection staff!

My investment portfolio could use some of their insight to be sure.
    wamberal likes this.