• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thought I might kick this off as the date is fast approaching and it caught my eye that it is being played in Newcastle. Is this an attempt to make inroads into what would otherwise be considered league territory? Is it more of a sideshow to the Welsh tests?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
As a Novocastrian myself max I think this is about giving a loyal & long suffering Rugby community in Regional Australia a test which we deserve to be blunt.

Some have said the scheduling is not right & I agree - its a bit of a dogs breakfast. However, I really take exception to some people saying Newcastle doesn't deserve a test & that it isn't an important area, yes League is popular here but Rugby has its own passionate rugby supporters here. As I have said elsewhere on this site our mens premier 1 grand final has had crowds in recent years up to 10, 000. Having watched a bit of the Shute Shield finals on TV I'd wager the Newcastle crowd support for its own comp is higher.

I don't know who they are going to play, rest, etc. However I'd like to see Nic White (a product of Newcastle/Hunter side Maitland Blacks) play at 9 or come off the bench at 9. It would be nice to see him follow in the footsteps of fellow Maitland Blacks junior (& scrum half) Luke Burgess & also Singleton Bulls junior (& another scrum half) Josh Valentine. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) whilst a product of the central coast (Ourimbah) is still pretty close to Newcastle & he was talking quite fondly of his time in Newie during his younger years. Ideally I'd like to see as many players with a regional connection picked but that may not be possible with Superrugby, playing Wales, etc.

Personally, I've got Ma & I our gold tickets as well as a whole heap of my club mates & we can't wait! "Word on the street" is that it will be sold out.

J

Jiggles

I've got a sneaking suspicion that this test may be Samoa v2.0.

Scotland have been playing solid rugby lately and shouldn't be taken lightly, however the ARU in there haste to get more tests in are forcing a B team to be selected. Personally I think its a little disrespectful to the Scots, the Australian Players who will be selected, and the fans up in Newcastle.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Living regionally myself I rarely get to the games so I really appreciate the chance. I got my tickets in the pre-offer for the whole family. 8 hour round trip to the game and back to work wednesday, but can't wait.

On a related note I hope the Lions do a regional tour as in 2001, when I saw them play the Cockatoos in Coffs Harbour.

Hope Deans doesn't push the crap he has served up for the last 4 years, but then I haven't won lotto yet either.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
@jiggles I'm pretty sure in a predictions thread earlier this year I predicted Scotland to go close but with us still winning - just. Looking like a pretty good prediction at the mo. Scotland def have a chance but. They'll have their supporters too especially given we have towns around Newcastle/Hunter with names like 'Aberdeen'.Can't wait to see it, has to be better than this train wreck I'm watching at the mo known as State of Origin.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Scotland over the past few years have been the Tahs of international rugby. Lots of effort and some close defeats against more fancied teams and their ranking belies the talent they've unearthed in recent years.

Part of their problem is poor organisation from the Scottish Union who have been very poor even by the low standards we all expect from national unions. This tour was hastily arranged since all the top guns were already committed to 3 test tours from other NH teams and the normal alternative of a north American trip wasn't open to them.

However if Australia take them lightly and rest too many players for the 1st Wales test then Scotland could cause an upset. Personally I think it would be better for a scratch Aus side to possibly lose to Scotland rather than have too many guys having to play 3 games in a week.

But Deans is under big pressure to deliver results this year and that will probably feed into his selection for this one.

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
I disagree. A test is a test. I would have given my left nut to play in a test. Put a good team in. Give some young blokes a chance. They're gagging for it. Holy shit I hate this saving blokes attitude. Back up you spoiled c@nts!! Jesus Chr@st it's a Wallaby jumper!!!

D

daz

I disagree. A test is a test. I would have given my left nut to play in a test. Put a good team in. Give some young blokes a chance. They're gagging for it. Holy shit I hate this saving blokes attitude. Back up you spoiled c@nts!! Jesus Chr@st it's a Wallaby jumper!!!

Mrs Deans, I understand your frustration, but if Robbie doesn't take selection advice from you at home it is highly unlikely he will take note of you on G&GR after a few G&T's....

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
I have never met you daz but I take extreme umbrage at your attempt to belittle an honest clubman. shame on you. But really can't we put some respect back into the green and gold. FFS that's what the websites called.

D

daz

I have never met you daz but I take extreme umbrage at your attempt to belittle an honest clubman. shame on you. But really can't we put some respect back into the green and gold. FFS that's what the websites called.

How do you know you have never met me? :)

Sorry mate, put your extreme umbrage away. I'm not having a go at an honest clubman; just having a little fun with a G&GR favourite topic in RD at your expense. Hang around and join in!

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
Well there's nothing to be ashamed about passion and a lot to be ashamed about cynicism. I checked you other posts. There are a lot of negative ones. How you behave is up to you. I won't respond to you again.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The ARU are worried about winning on Tuesday 5th against Scotland. I think they will name a strong side - maybe not the 1st XV, but a much stronger team than an 'A' side. Obviously players from the Reds and Force will be considered first as they have the preceding bye, but the team may need to be bolstered further still.

1. Deans has already indicated that he will look for some players to back up for both tests (Ioane is one candidate, not having played so many games this season). This may not be for a full 160 minutes, but it should strengthen both lineups. Not sure how many players would be asked to do this, but it could be several.

2. Deans has also indicated that some test players could be drafted in from out-of-contention super teams for the Scotland test. This may well release a few of the Tahs, who presumably would not play against the Canes (or at least not a full game) on the Saturday beforehand. There needs be a balance here so that the Tahs are still strong enough to win their match.

3. Even a few players from the Brumbies and Rebels could possibly be drafted in. These sides are playing each other on the preceding Friday. Jake White has already indicated that he will not stand in the way of his players availability for the tests. If a few players from each of the Brumbies and Rebels were stood down (or partly rested) it should be fair enough for both sides.

cardiffcider

Stan Wickham (3)
I've got a sneaking suspicion that this test may be Samoa v2.0.

Scotland have been playing solid rugby lately and shouldn't be taken lightly, however the ARU in there haste to get more tests in are forcing a B team to be selected. Personally I think its a little disrespectful to the Scots, the Australian Players who will be selected, and the fans up in Newcastle.

scotland are a poor side they offer very little in attack but are sound in defence.

cardiffcider

Stan Wickham (3)
looking forward to the first test against wales as a welshman allways a special game against aus wales by 8 in the first test

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't know who they are going to play, rest, etc. However I'd like to see Nic White (a product of Newcastle/Hunter side Maitland Blacks) play at 9 or come off the bench at 9. It would be nice to see him follow in the footsteps of fellow Maitland Blacks junior (& scrum half) Luke Burgess & also Singleton Bulls junior (& another scrum half) Josh Valentine. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) whilst a product of the central coast (Ourimbah) is still pretty close to Newcastle & he was talking quite fondly of his time in Newie during his younger years. Ideally I'd like to see as many players with a regional connection picked but that may not be possible with Superrugby, playing Wales, etc.

What is it with The Hunter and halfbacks?

There was also Steve Merrick, who played two tests against the All Blacks who was from Singleton.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
As a Novocastrian myself max I think this is about giving a loyal & long suffering Rugby community in Regional Australia a test which we deserve to be blunt.

Some have said the scheduling is not right & I agree - its a bit of a dogs breakfast. However, I really take exception to some people saying Newcastle doesn't deserve a test & that it isn't an important area, yes League is popular here but Rugby has its own passionate rugby supporters here. As I have said elsewhere on this site our mens premier 1 grand final has had crowds in recent years up to 10, 000. Having watched a bit of the Shute Shield finals on TV I'd wager the Newcastle crowd support for its own comp is higher.

Personally, I've got Ma & I our gold tickets as well as a whole heap of my club mates & we can't wait! "Word on the street" is that it will be sold out.

I had no idea of the support for rugby up there AS, but I am very interested to hear more about it. Could you potentially start another thread and give us some more info on the standard of rugby up there? I'm sure im not the only G&GR reader who would be interested to read more about it...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
According to Robbie Deans, plenty of players are going to play Super Rugby on the Friday or Saturday then against Scotland on the Tuesday and then against Wales on the Saturday.

When are the team actually going to train for the Scotland game? If you've got a Super Rugby game on the Friday or Saturday, it doesn't give much time to prepare with the Wallabies for the Tuesday night game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
When are the team actually going to train for the Scotland game? If you've got a Super Rugby game on the Friday or Saturday, it doesn't give much time to prepare with the Wallabies for the Tuesday night game.

These guys don't need much training. Basically all they need to know is the lineout calls and backline moves.

The Wallabies only have four different lineout calls anyway. They use a pretty simple 'magic number', usually an 8. Vickerman/Simmons/Sharpe calls three numbers, and whichever one the 8 is in is where the ball is going- the front, the middle or the back. The other move is a variation where the ball goes to the front man. Oh, and if they put in a cars name at the end it's a drive ball. So it really only takes an hour to pick this up.

And the backs have only three moves- overs, unders and cut 1. But they aren't called that (duh), they are called 'Electric', 'Light' and 'Orchestra' (Robbie is a real fan of 1970s orchestral rock). Again this only takes an hour to pick up.

You spend the second hour of training doing kickoffs and scrums, and then finish with a game of touch. Boom.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I had no idea of the support for rugby up there AS, but I am very interested to hear more about it. Could you potentially start another thread and give us some more info on the standard of rugby up there? I'm sure im not the only G&GR reader who would be interested to read more about it...

I already have what your asking for Joe! In the club rugby section in the thread "Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union 2011" (I want to get rid of the "2011" bit in the thread title but don't know how - cause I'm basically using the same thread for every year). Obviously I'm only one person but I report what I can, provide links, etc. I have some posts on there that discuss the quality of the comp I believe. Opinion varies from person to person, some of the locals are quite critical but that's a good thing I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.