• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thought it would be a good idea in the lead up the Lions series to see what a Wallabies team would be picked purely on 2013 Super rugby form (ie. no reputations). It's not a week to week team but over the whole competition and can be flexible with positions. Here's what I've come up with:

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Tetera Faulkner
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Sam Carter
6. Ed Quirk
7. David Pocock
8. Ben Mowen
9. Nic White
10. James O'Connor
11. Alfi Mafi
12. Kyle Godwin
13. Andrew Smith
14. Henry Speight
15. Jesse Mogg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thought it would be a good idea in the lead up the Lions series to see what a Wallabies team would be picked purely on 2013 Super rugby form (ie. no reputations). It's not a week to week team but over the whole competition and can be flexible with positions. Here's what I've come up with:

10. James O'Connor

Despite your noble aim this selection betrays you.
How can you pick a bloke who played 15 at 10 on anything other than reputation?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Tetera Faulkner
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Sam Carter
6. Ed Quirk
7. David Pocock
8. Ben Mowen
9. Nic White
10. James O'Connor
11. Alfi Mafi
12. Kyle Godwin
13. Andrew Smith
14. Henry Speight
15. Jesse Mogg

dont mind this side based on the two games. Thought Dan Palmer had a strong game for the brumbies and would be my tight head. Mitch Inmans defence and work at the breakdown would have him at 13.

There wasnt a great performance from a fly half but of the four picked there I say QC (Quade Cooper) just. Very quiet though until 60th minute

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Tetera Faulkner
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Sam Carter
6. Ed Quirk
7. David Pocock
8. Ben Mowen
9. Nic White
10. James O'Connor
11. Alfi Mafi
12. Kyle Godwin
13. Andrew Smith
14. Henry Speight
15. Jesse Mogg

If we're picking based on merit and form, I think Gill is a dark horse for the Wallabies 7s shirt. He may not be as fast as Hooper but he is essentially a David Pocock who is even better at scavenging on the floor and he definitely has a better running and linking game than Pocock right now. I think he just needs some better chances to prove himself against international competition. If he can continue to improve and then translate his form to the international level, I think he could be our best open side since George Smith.

There's not much I wouldn't give to see Pocock and Hooper grow a few inches so we could play a #6 Pocock #7 Gill #8 Hooper back row. The sheer havoc they would wreak really makes that lack of height a cruel reality. Pocock would only need to improve his carrying game a bit, he's already one of the best defensive players around, and Hooper's sheer aggression would suit him perfectly at #8.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
If we're picking based on merit and form, I think Gill is a dark horse for the Wallabies 7s shirt. He may not be as fast as Hooper but he is essentially a David Pocock who is even better at scavenging on the floor and he definitely has a better running and linking game than Pocock right now. I think he just needs some better chances to prove himself against international competition. If he can continue to improve and then translate his form to the international level, I think he could be our best open side since George Smith.

There's not much I wouldn't give to see Pocock and Hooper grow a few inches so we could play a #6 Pocock #7 Gill #8 Hooper back row. The sheer havoc they would wreak really makes that lack of height a cruel reality. Pocock would only need to improve his carrying game a bit, he's already one of the best defensive players around, and Hooper's sheer aggression would suit him perfectly at #8.
Gill may one day be better. But at the moment Pocock and Hooper are the top two, by some margin.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was a good job with the Rd.1 selections qwerty and you should do this every week.

It is interesting because it is a good indication of who is playing well without pretending to be a template that Deans will follow when he picks the first Wallabies matchday team.

To play against the Lions you need a certain type: hard-nosed, experienced and big match players. If a few of these guys don't have dynamite form Deans will probably pick them anyway and I would too.

2012 was not a great year for the Wallabies: they were thrashed in three games and could have lost the other twelve. Instead they lost just two of them. That was the best aspect of Oz play last year.

That they didn't lose more of those close games says something of the type of player that was used - those who were still healthy, that is.

Deans will be looking for the same types this year: players who know how to grind out a win when they are not playing well.

Sure there will be a few new guys in 2013 and this thread will help to identify some of them, but there won't be a lot 'running on'.

It will be the same for Gatland when he picks the Lions touring party: there are always a few brilliant inexperienced players in a Lions' squad, but not many of them start in the test matches.

But I digress.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just for comparison sake, here is Gagger's team of the week from the front page:

1. Ben Alexander – the Brumbies’ front row bossed the Reds’ scrum and hit rucks to boot
2. Stephen Moore – ditto
3. Dan Palmer – ditto
4. Hugh Pyle – strong in the lineout and dynamic around the park
5. Scott Fardy – shifted rocks
6. Ed Quirk – abrasive
7. David Pocock – everywhere, while managing to keep on the right side of the ref
8. Ben Mowen – a counter-rucking powerhouse who kept the Reds destabilised
9. Nic White – sniping, vision and an educated boot
10. Quade Cooper – struggled behind a beaten pack but directed traffic nonetheless
11. Alfie Mafi – like this kid called Alfie Mafi I used to know, but stacked
12. Kyle Godwin – gave the Force backline some much needed edge
13. Andrew Smith – key link in an impenetrable defensive line
14. Richard Kingi – sprightly and threw a gorgeous miracle ball
15. Jesse Mogg – looking Roff-like? G&GR PLAYER OF THE WEEK

For the most part it's pretty close to qwerty's picks.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I also made the comment elsewhere that you probably could've flipped a coin between Carter and Fardy for that second lock spot...... Pyle obviously claiming the first.........

It was a tough week for flyhalves with no one really standing out.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's because of his Quade hate. There is is laid bare for all to see.

Was Quade the best 10 on the weekend though?

All his best involvement was in the last 20 minutes when the Brumbies had it pretty much sewn up.

It's certainly about the hardest position to award out of the four people who played 10 as none of them had particularly good games.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Was Quade the best 10 on the weekend though?

All his best involvement was in the last 20 minutes when the Brumbies had it pretty much sewn up.

It's certainly about the hardest position to award out of the four people who played 10 as none of them had particularly good games.
I'm no fan of QC (Quade Cooper) but I'd probably give him the nod.
I think To'omua is going to challenge him shortly, however.
And if we're not worrying about where they actually played the preceding weekend then Lilo and Higgers come into contention.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
He was the best of a poor bunch. If someone was better why didn't qwerty pick one of them? Rather than a player out of position and going against his own rules of the thread. I'm sorry, this was a good idea, but the thread has already lost credibility.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What rules? I said flexible in positions, maybe you should watch the game again because JOC (James O'Connor) pops up in the 1st receiver role more than once. I bet if you even asked Hill he'd say that's a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.