• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Give me youth and enthusiasm any day if it runs straight and takes the line on, rather than the experience that crabs or even runs backwards away from the defense. Matt Giteau is a crabber, and unfortunately atm Quade runs anywhere to avoid the defense.

Given the deficiencies being shown by the options for the 10/12 spots I am becoming more and more convinced the best combo is Matt To'omua at 10 and Christian Lealiifano at 12.

We get to disagree there, I don't rate To'omua as a 10 at all (great 12 though), Lilo on the other hand, he is an option, if Foley and Cooper go down.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
There are rumors that Lopeti Timani would be chosen to play the WC for Tonga.

That would be a HUGE blow for the future of the team. Someone should tell the boy that he should wait his chance.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There are rumors that Lopeti Timani would be chosen to play the WC for Tonga.

That would be a HUGE blow for the future of the team. Someone should tell the boy that he should wait his chance.

He is probably aiming to improve his CV prior to heading off to where the big money is, like his older brother.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty sure he signed a 2 year extension for the Rebs earlier this season, so unless it's an "I want to play world cup now", or a "Chieka has said I'm not in his 2-3 year plans" it'd be fairly surprising IMO.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty sure he signed a 2 year extension for the Rebs earlier this season, so unless it's an "I want to play world cup now", or a "Chieka has said I'm not in his 2-3 year plans" it'd be fairly surprising IMO.

Yeah, he has signed an extension. I hope Cheika talked with the boy about his career

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
So with Kane Douglas officially back in the fold, I think the forwards for the world cup are almost a certainty now.

Props: Slipper, Sio, Kepu, Holmes, Faulkner
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Hanson
Locks: Skelton, Simo, Horwill, Douglas
Blindside: Fardy, Mumm
Openside: Pocock, Hooper
No.8: McCalman, Palu

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So with Kane Douglas officially back in the fold, I think the forwards for the world cup are almost a certainty now.

Props: Slipper, Sio, Kepu, Holmes, Faulkner
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Hanson
Locks: Skelton, Simo, Horwill, Douglas
Blindside: Fardy, Mumm
Openside: Pocock, Hooper
No.8: McCalman, Palu

I would be surprised if he is selected unless Horwill or Skelton are injured, he has been wounded with no game time or form.

And Mumm ain't a starting test "6"

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would be surprised if he is selected unless Horwill or Skelton are injured, he has been wounded with no game time or form.

And Mumm ain't a starting test "6"

Mumm could be a starting test 6 - at the moment its an unknown. Same with Horwill.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mumm could be a starting test 6 - at the moment its an unknown. Same with Horwill.

nah, he simply isn't a test 6, he is a mobile lock and a good lineout option.

He just isn't dynamic enough to play 6 at S15 level let alone test level

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Unfortunately the only options for a starting 6 are:-

Fardy
Higgers
Mumm
McCalman
Dennis ?
Hooper
McMahon

- Higgers I'm a big fan of, but he was virtually anonymous against the Boks.
- McCalman's an option but neither McCalman nor Higgers have spent any time at 6 for the wallabies yet this season. I believe that's partly because the mould of the wallabies no.6 has for sometime been a '6/lock' type. Fardy/Jones (hell even Simo played there under Link).

I concede he's not very dynamic at all, but if we are going to be playing nearly every test with two no.7s for half the game, we can afford to lose a bit of dynamism elsewhere.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
nah, he simply isn't a test 6, he is a mobile lock and a good lineout option.

He just isn't dynamic enough to play 6 at S15 level let alone test level

Is this based on his time at the Tahs or based on the last 2 years up North?

Isn't there a small chance he actually improved as a player up North? He is hitting the age where a lot of players peak. Could be worth a shot.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Unfortunately the only options for a starting 6 are:-

Fardy
Higgers
Mumm
McCalman
Dennis ?
Hooper
McMahon

- Higgers I'm a big fan of, but he was virtually anonymous against the Boks.
- McCalman's an option but neither McCalman nor Higgers have spent any time at 6 for the wallabies yet this season. I believe that's partly because the mould of the wallabies no.6 has for sometime been a '6/lock' type. Fardy/Jones (hell even Simo played there under Link).

I concede he's not very dynamic at all, but if we are going to be playing nearly every test with two no.7s for half the game, we can afford to lose a bit of dynamism elsewhere.

You forget the great G. Smith

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well Higgers has been dropped from the latest 31 Man Wallaby squad.

Palu back in with Gits and Toby Smith

D

daz

Just saving some time here. We aim to be helpful and facilitate effective ranting where-ever possible.

[template] Too many ......... players, not enough ......... players [/template]

[template] QC (Quade Cooper) should be ......... as he is ......... [/template]

[template] This is all .......... 's fault [/template]

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
Moore and TPN are the obvious 1 + 2 hookers, will Hanson (assuming he is 3) get time against USA/Fiji/Uruguay?

Or wait until TPN gets injured in the RWC semi final and have him play the final 20mins of the final?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Give me youth and enthusiasm any day if it runs straight and takes the line on, rather than the experience that crabs or even runs backwards away from the defense. Matt Giteau is a crabber, and unfortunately atm Quade runs anywhere to avoid the defense.

Given the deficiencies being shown by the options for the 10/12 spots I am becoming more and more convinced the best combo is Matt To'omua at 10 and Christian Lealiifano at 12.

I imagine you had to undergo a soul-searching solitary stint in the desert for 40 days, without food and water, contemplating the state of the universe, and the nature of our existence here on earth, and what it means to be a human, before finally settling on two Brumbies. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.