• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Don't start me Seb v as same arguments that apply to cooper _ too inconsistent and hence risky

Yes if we call for another half back would be white and hence why I hope and indeed believe won't see cheika call for another half as injury replacement

Ummm.... What about Phipps he has been the most inconsistent player all year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Holy shit, people can no longer whinge about Foley, so have moved to Phipps. Yes he threw one poor pass and one that Fardy ducked and three others basically said "yours". Lets dump Genia because his box kicking is as crap as it has been for a long time. Two (or was it three) charged down, surely that equals Phipps one and a half bad passes.

People will argue that Phipps has these passes every game, and yes that is true, but on the same token I cringe when I see a ruck being set up for Genia's box kick because you know it is coming and you know it is going to suck.

But yes lets bring in White, who hasn't been able to keep the pace requirements of the Chieka plan, whose mouth gets him offside with the Refs regularly.........

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Holy shit, people can no longer whinge about Foley, so have moved to Phipps. Yes he threw one poor pass and one that Fardy ducked and three others basically said "yours". Lets dump Genia because his box kicking is as crap as it has been for a long time. Two (or was it three) charged down, surely that equals Phipps one and a half bad passes.

People will argue that Phipps has these passes every game, and yes that is true, but on the same token I cringe when I see a ruck being set up for Genia's box kick because you know it is coming and you know it is going to suck.

But yes lets bring in White, who hasn't been able to keep the pace requirements of the Chieka plan, whose mouth gets him offside with the Refs regularly...

You seriously can't ague Phipps has had only one poor pass, it's happened so many times now and all posters like you do is make excuses for him. Sure it's Fardy fault because he ducked. Sure it's the Boks fault for pestering him in the ruck. Phipps is rushing and making mistakes, or communicating poorly with forward runners - whatever it is he's at least 50% to blame for each missed pass.

You said it yourself, it's happened every game this year. He's currently a risk.

Sorry but White is a safer option and his impact from the bench can be very good (proven by winning us Bled 1 - where he upped the tempo when he came on).

Don't be a hypocrite and whinge about people having a go at Phipps when you do the exact same thing for White (probably Cooper too).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There really is very little separating our 3 halfback options.............

The hyperbole directed at all of them over the last page and a half is pretty cringeworthy.............

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
You seriously can't ague Phipps has had only one poor pass, it's happened so many times now and all posters like you do is make excuses for him. Sure it's Fardy fault because he ducked. Sure it's the Boks fault for pestering him in the ruck. Phipps is rushing and making mistakes, or communicating poorly with forward runners - whatever it is he's at least 50% to blame for each missed pass.

You said it yourself, it's happened every game this year. He's currently a risk.

Sorry but White is a safer option and his impact from the bench can be very good (proven by winning us Bled 1 - where he upped the tempo when he came on).

Don't be a hypocrite and whinge about people having a go at Phipps when you do the exact same thing for White (probably Cooper too).

Seb if you want to cast stones go back and troll through my posting record. I am a Tahs supporter but probably one of the most un-provincial supporters you would ever meet or read here. Ask my Reds mates here and the Tahs ones as well. Also consider that it was me who wrote a fairly combustible post about the Tahs under Hickey/Foley that was extremely critical of them before the fan forum etc.

Where did I defend Phipps and his poor passing in this game or those previous. I have been as critical of it as I have been and remain of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s passing and the general lack of kicking skills displayed by Australian backs. What I did say was try and temper your critique with a bit of realism about the options, and no I don't regard White as that close to Phipps or Genia.

So no, I am not a hypocrite but it is very funny that you have shifted your myopic attacks from Foley to Phipps.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Seb if you want to cast stones go back and troll through my posting record. I am a Tahs supporter but probably one of the most un-provincial supporters you would ever meet or read here. Ask my Reds mates here and the Tahs ones as well. Also consider that it was me who wrote a fairly combustible post about the Tahs under Hickey/Foley that was extremely critical of them before the fan forum etc.

Where did I defend Phipps and his poor passing in this game or those previous. I have been as critical of it as I have been and remain of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s passing and the general lack of kicking skills displayed by Australian backs. What I did say was try and temper your critique with a bit of realism about the options, and no I don't regard White as that close to Phipps or Genia.

So no, I am not a hypocrite but it is very funny that you have shifted your myopic attacks from Foley to Phipps.
I personally think on song Whites as good if not better then both Phipps and Genia.. Controls the game better and is a play making halfback.. But he has lost games when his not on song, and he can loose his cool, which is not what you want at the world cup.. I'd bring him in if Horne's out as it fixes the issue of having to play Git's as a Halfback because of injury.

I also think Phipps is out of form atm, don't know why but his not putting his best foot forward. Which leaves us with Genia who played pretty good against England and has the experience.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I guess that is more my point - White does not offer much more than Phipps or Genia so unless injury to either and with gits as emergency backup option we don't need a third half back

I will slink away quietly now

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
for the life of me I cannot understand why people think Giteau is a good or even viable option to play halfback. For one, he's now clearly the first choice 12. Secondly, his experience at halfback in any rugby in the last decade is, what, 10 mins in the RC this year?

I think if Horne goes we'll probably see White brought in so we have 2 halfbacks in the 23 if one of them goes down at training.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yer probably right, Lorenzo. Now the initial tight schedule calling for an A team followed by a B team four days later has passed the squad should resort to a traditional touring one with three hookers and three scrummies. Wouldn't like to rely on Giteau to feed the scrums.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Mate, backing up posters who wouldn't even take White as a third choice half-back in the squad is ridiculous.

I do actually prefer Phipps up-tempo game, I backed him until last game when I finally said "ok enough is enough" those passes are a now a bad habit.

I can't comprehend people riding White off, your short-sighted views have completely ignored the fact he WON US THE MATCH AGAINST THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD.

You seriously can't argue his impact from the bench can't be valuable? Whether it's more valuable then Phipps is up for debate. It's probably closer then you'd like to accept though, given Phipps poor form.

Also, you seriously don't need to get all defensive about being a Tah-supporter, I don't think I implied anything about Tah-bias in my previous posts. You are certainly anti-White though.

T

TOCC

Phipps definitely lifts the speed of passing and distribution when he comes on, but thats part of the problem, his trying to deliver the ball so fast he just misses the target.

When Phipps comes on the field he is either going to do something either great or something disastrous. He is the Quade Cooper of Australian halfbacks.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Phipps definitely lifts the speed of passing and distribution when he comes on, but thats part of the problem, his trying to deliver the ball so fast he just misses the target.

When Phipps comes on the field he is either going to do something either great or something disastrous. He is the Quade Cooper of Australian halfbacks.

He never used to be like this though, last year his service was fine. It only stated creeping in the back end of the super xv season this year. What the hell happened!?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can we settle with all three scrum halfs have some pretty undesirable flaws...
I don't know if I cringe more at Phipps no looking passing or Genia's box kick.
The only thing I will say is...at least Phipps at 9 has to be the passer and is making an error in trying to speed the game up. I'm not sure what Genia's excuse is...esp. of late when he gets charged down so regularly (them being offside is not an excuse).
Quade has a good passing game.....

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
CUT OUT THE NEGATIVITY! :mad:

They're wearing gold and representing us in the finals, let's get behind them unconditionally.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I find it shocking to see so many of our players have clear weaknesses.

Where have all those perfect players gone?

I am amazed to see that we can win a game at all

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Mate, backing up posters who wouldn't even take White as a third choice half-back in the squad is ridiculous.

I do actually prefer Phipps up-tempo game, I backed him until last game when I finally said "ok enough is enough" those passes are a now a bad habit.

I can't comprehend people riding White off, your short-sighted views have completely ignored the fact he WON US THE MATCH AGAINST THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD.

You seriously can't argue his impact from the bench can't be valuable? Whether it's more valuable then Phipps is up for debate. It's probably closer then you'd like to accept though, given Phipps poor form.

Also, you seriously don't need to get all defensive about being a Tah-supporter, I don't think I implied anything about Tah-bias in my previous posts. You are certainly anti-White though.

Seb I was unsubtly trying to point out that less than a week after your mea culpa re:- Foley your comments about Phipps resemble those previously made about Foley, while at the same time ignoring the same degree of fault in the play of the other halfback.

It has nothing to do with White, and regardless of opinions to the contrary I do not have anything against any player or coach, I am interested only in thoughtful, balanced critique and am certainly not anti anybody.

There is a reason why White was left out of the RWC squad, after scoring the winning try against the ABs, and those reasons are not known to us, though we postulate about them. They remain a matter of conjecture just like the omission of Luke Jones and most recently James Horwill. The thing is unlike the glaring howlers in selection of the Robbie Deans era, Chieka's selections have been proving on the money and astute (apart from the changes for Bledisloe 2 - though I suspect the performance in that game settled some selection arguments) and so there is a far greater level of trust that there is indeed actually a good reason behind said selections.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Seb I was unsubtly trying to point out that less than a week after your mea culpa re:- Foley your comments about Phipps resemble those previously made about Foley, while at the same time ignoring the same degree of fault in the play of the other halfback.

It has nothing to do with White, and regardless of opinions to the contrary I do not have anything against any player or coach, I am interested only in thoughtful, balanced critique and am certainly not anti anybody.

There is a reason why White was left out of the RWC squad, after scoring the winning try against the ABs, and those reasons are not known to us, though we postulate about them. They remain a matter of conjecture just like the omission of Luke Jones and most recently James Horwill. The thing is unlike the glaring howlers in selection of the Robbie Deans era, Chieka's selections have been proving on the money and astute (apart from the changes for Bledisloe 2 - though I suspect the performance in that game settled some selection arguments) and so there is a far greater level of trust that there is indeed actually a good reason behind said selections.

Pretty poor form from you to think I'm on an anti-Phipps tirade after only 2 posts criticizing his poor form (and following from a very poor Test by him) - especially given I've backed him all year until now.

When have I ignored the faults of White? I was the first to criticise his slow service in Bled 2, and the first to accept him missing out on the squad. But it's been 4-5 weeks since then and in hindsight he probably would have been the better bench option.

If a player plays shit repeatedly then you should expect criticism.

Pretty shit move to single me out, I think I'm one of the lesser bias posters here, although admittedly have never backed the likes of Foley or Beale - for good reason.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Seb I won't derail this thread any further. I wasn't singling you out, my original post was ...."holy shit, people...." that people including you as one among quite a few on the forums and blogs. I have since replied to your posts and the contents, not to single you out, sorry if you thought I was doing anything else.

As for players playing "shit", I would say that both Genia and Phipps have played pretty well, with Genia playing the best he has for a couple of years. Now that said, they both have significant flaws in their games which have been present for a long time and haven't been addressed. Much like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s passing........

I wouldn't go so far as to say they played shit, but I certainly wouldn't back away from being critical of both Genia and Phipps flaws in recent games, but in saying that I believe that Genia has displayed an upward form trajectory and Phipps fairly consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.