• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Backrow - The Way Forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Along with the centres this is easily one of the weaker parts of the wallaby team.

The current pecking order seems to look something like this:

6. Higgers, Dennis, Schatz
7. Pocock, Hooper, Gill
8. Palu, Samo, McCalman?, Mowen

And then you have Auela, Jones, Brown, Vaea, Kimlin, AWH.

Apart from Pocock none are really world class players. Hooper and Gill could get there one day, but that's beside the point as they are both 7's as well.

I think that if pocock tours in june a move to 6 to accommodate hooper or gill at 7, might be the go. I don't think it is a long term solution but I think it is better to have a go and be out muscled than pick a bloke who is just going to be a passenger.

W

What2040

Last night showed Hooper is a mile in front of Gill
6, Schatz then Higgers
7. Pocock/Hooper daylight to Gill
8 Tamani

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Hooper was pretty much our best player last night, wonderful run on debut.

Gill v Hooper isnt really the point of this thread, but I have to say I dont know what people were expecting from gill last night. He came on late into a well beaten team and tackled like a dog. The opportunities to pilfer were just not there as we were stretched too far in defence.

I think we need hooper at the moment for his ball running and speed, because we dont have many effective ball runners in the pack at all. But put it this way, if McCaw got injured and you had to bring either hooper or gill into a pack like the all black have, I think gill would balance the backrow better, especially if kaino was at 6.

Do you think we have enough quality in the second row to be able to shift Timani to 8? It is an interesting idea.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hasn't Higgers been playing 8 (but I agree he probably should be 6, if that's what you're saying)? And Dennis at 6? Those 2 have been disappointing in the transition from Super Rugby to Tests this year. The 7s are not really a worry - all are capable. 6 and 8 are getting completely outplayed each week.
I wouldn't favour playing Pocock and Hooper / Gill.
Someone like Fotu Auelua might be a good smokey to look at.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Let's give the hooper/gill story more time. Gill is about 10 months younger. At 24 this does not make a difference. At 20 I think it all the difference.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think we give Dennis/Higgers one more chance to see what they do against the Saffers. They both played well against Wales. They were the form backrowers of Super rugby and deserved their chances, no point discarding them after 2 games against the ABs.

W

What2040

I think we give Dennis/Higgers one more chance to see what they do against the Saffers. They both played well against Wales. They were the form backrowers of Super rugby and deserved their chances, no point discarding them after 2 games against the ABs.

and don't think Deans will change

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Last night showed Hooper is a mile in front of Gill
6, Schatz then Higgers
7. Pocock/Hooper daylight to Gill
8 Tamani
You're having a laugh aren't you? Yeh Hooper was brilliant last night, he is ahead, but Liam was one of the few forwards that didn't get slaughtered, he didn't look out of place. Yes Pocock>Hooper>Gill but not by the ludacris lengths you've stated.

For me, Dennis and Higgers need a big kick up the arse, they are nowhere near test level right now. I want to see Shatz start getting game time, I think he plays the style of footy suited to tests. Big Timani should move to 8 long term, once Deans (or hopefully a new coach) decides to use Pyle, Douglas or Neville. We are really short on 6/8's who are international quality.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
There is already a hooper v gill thread..........

Does anyone reckon Mowen can make the step up?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mowen would have to play 6 probably but just lacks the power required for test level. No-one could question his ticker.
Timani at 8 sounds like a very good idea. We have some up and coming locks and Horwill will return to TH lock when he is fit. Simmons will be at LH lock with one of the young blokes on the bench.
Of course not both Palu and Timani can play 8 at NSW.
Interesting though.
What about Kimlin at 6?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont think Timani is fast enough nor skillful enough to play in the backrow. TH lock is his neiche I feel.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The idea of someone like Timani at 8 is tempting, but he is just showing a bit of potential at TH lock and would be better there, I reckon. But he probably could play there, I guess.
I agree that Mowen is unlikely to make a big impact where Higgers and Dennis have not yet.
Fair enough to keep Higginbotham and Dennis, but I hope they both show a big lift in intensity over the next few weeks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Timani isn't an 8

I would prefer McCalman there if Palu isn't fit. A decent tight workrate and a bit of mongrel is a better option than what we have at the moment.

T

TOCC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Palu and McCalman were both injured..

Higginbotham just isn't cutting it..

Who else is there?

T

Train Without a Station

I thought Higgers was improved on the week before last night. Considering Deans love for project players, the guy does have the natural skills and ability to persist with a little. I was a little disappointed with Dave Dennis, but probably because I expected a bit more from him. Honestly I can see Higgers having more impact long term against the top teams than Dennis though. Agreed he does need a rocket up his arse however.

Anybody who suggests we play 2x 7s is delusional. The impact in the tight is where it's needed and won't be found in a lightweight backrow.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Higgers and Dennis are both 6s, so I think ultimately only one of them will be in contention. It's unfortunate that Deans seems to select the best individual back rowers (at least on Super Rugby form) rather than look for balance.

I'm happy with Timani staying at TH lock for this season... But Horwill will come back next season and unless someone else really develops, we might be in the same situation again without a big strong 8. Problem is that Timani won't get to play 8 next season at the Tahs since Palu will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.