• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rennie being NZR's favoured candidate seems feasible to me. Likely, even. If so, I suspect he became the preferred candidate at about half time in the semifinal. Prior to that they likely assumed Jabba would win, and old benign Fozzie would be promoted by virtue of seniority and continuity; hence why Rennie had next to no contact with NZR prior to the RWC.

Having thrown all their eggs into the continuity-at-all-costs basket, NZR now find themselves in a proper pickle of their own making. Unfortunately they'll probably double down on it and it'll regularly see Rennie eat Foster for lunch over the next few seasons.
Hopefully.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Rennie being NZR's favoured candidate seems feasible to me. Likely, even. If so, I suspect he became the preferred candidate at about half time in the semifinal. Prior to that they likely assumed Jabba would win, and old benign Fozzie would be promoted by virtue of seniority and continuity; hence why Rennie had next to no contact with NZR prior to the RWC.

Having thrown all their eggs into the continuity-at-all-costs basket, NZR now find themselves in a proper pickle of their own making. Unfortunately they'll probably double down on it and it'll regularly see Rennie eat Foster for lunch over the next few seasons.

Do you really think so zer0, I really didn't even see Rennie's name thrown around on boreds like this, until Aussie wanted him and even then I never saw many calling for him, I would think that JJ would be more of a favoured candidate, if there was one. I would love to know where you get your info from, I buggered if I can get all this info, and I know a couple of mates on boards of Rugby unions in NZ.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I love how there is so much emphasis on the assistant coaches. This is a key area which seemed to be missing in past coaches. I can't recall any "wish lists" or selection process for the assistants. They seemed to just throw a few people in who were available.

This is building to be a really strong coaching team (if Wisemantel and Taylor are indeed assistants).

Remember in the dark distant past, the tale of an autocratic head coach who in his final world cup campaign, only appointed an attack coach in the months leading into the tournament.

Madness

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Do you really think so zer0, I really didn't even see Rennie's name thrown around on boreds like this, until Aussie wanted him and even then I never saw many calling for him, I would think that JJ would be more of a favoured candidate, if there was one. I would love to know where you get your info from, I buggered if I can get all this info, and I know a couple of mates on boards of Rugby unions in NZ.

I'd imagine JJ really only came into serious contention after the RWC and the success of Japan. Not sure he was a top list candidate before then. I'd imagine the names would have been Foster, Rennie, and Robertson as the realistic top candidates. Post RWC more came into contention with contracts ending etc. Schmit, Jones, Gatland, and JJ being the best performer.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'd imagine JJ really only came into serious contention after the RWC and the success of Japan. Not sure he was a top list candidate before then. I'd imagine the names would have been Foster, Rennie, and Robertson as the realistic top candidates. Post RWC more came into contention with contracts ending etc. Schmit, Jones, Gatland, and JJ being the best performer.
Seb this time last year I think it was between Schmidt, Gatland and foster on top of most people's list on the net, followed by Cotter and JJ who were ahead of Robertson and Rennie, because apart from one or two most thought they would go for one with International experience, like I say just in threads I read, I don't recall anyone being strong Rennie advocates here or any other rugby forums I haunt. I actually thought Robertson was the only one without International experience I actually recall anyone naming, I could be wrong , but maybe because at that stage Rennie wasn't, and I believe still wouldn't of been a realistic candidate as he was tied to his Scottish club until mid next year, and NZRU wouldn't of gone there.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
“Ultimately there is to be a lot of fallout, isn’t there? There are a lot of good people, a lot of good players in Australian rugby but we have got to be able to create change. I base my selection on performance and I am never too concerned around reputations and never scared to promote a young kid over an experienced player if it’s justified.

“If players are picked on reputation there is not enough pressure on them for a start, and the younger ones get frustrated thinking ‘what do I have to do to play?’” Said Rennie.

Well, on those words alone he has caught my interest

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
God Im looking forward to Rennie, just someone from outside the franchises who doesn't seem to give a fuck what people think. His going to be a breath of fresh air.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
God Im looking forward to Rennie, just someone from outside the franchises who doesn't seem to give a fuck what people think. His going to be a breath of fresh air.
I keep reading this, and granted he wasnt from outside the franchises, but Cheika didnt give a fuck what anyone thought and it wasnt terribly pleasant.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I keep reading this, and granted he wasnt from outside the franchises, but Cheika didnt give a fuck what anyone thought and it wasnt terribly pleasant.

Good point .. Im just looking for winds of change, let me be excited till we get bashed by Ireland.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Also Chris Webb has signed on as general manager. A kind of side position but he was high performance advisor for Japan Rugby last few years, so will bring in some of that experience of a well tuned time that was more than the sum of its parts.

Last pieces are the defence and forwards coach now.