• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's true Fatprop

Once before we looked OS and EVEN that bloke ended up with a better record than Chek

As TWAS said maybe it's Chek that needs to change.

Whatever he's doing at the moment sure ain't working

It presumes he\we has\have the cattle to do better than where we are.

We are not anyway near the ABs (or a resurgent England.)

We are at the level of getting close the the Boks away and we should do alright in November for the most part

I tend to think that is where we are at the moment, at our best we can get close to the ABs for 50 minutes before their class tells

T

Train Without a Station

How's that working out?

We are having one of the worst Wallaby seasons ever and the team looks to be under more pressure then ever and is perceived as having a huge victim mentality.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The first AB try summed up the gulf between them and everyone else........

They must've had more offloads in that one play than the Wallabies did the whole game.........

There were always support players running onto passes, into gaps/at the right angles............

Their general skillset is just all round better.........

But this was all obvious during Super Rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The first AB try summed up the gulf between them and everyone else....

They must've had more offloads in that one play than the Wallabies did the whole game...

There were always support players running onto passes, into gaps/at the right angles....

Their general skillset is just all round better...

But this was all obvious during Super Rugby.

I think this nails it.

There would be a lot more pressure on the Wallaby coaches if the Super Rugby sides had been killing it and the test season was a departure from that.

You'd hope an end of season review happens after the Spring Tour and looks particularly at the assistants and their dual roles as well as trying to improve the coordination of the Australian Super Rugby teams and the Wallabies and improving our overall playing ability.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
How's that working out?

We are having one of the worst Wallaby seasons ever and the team looks to be under more pressure then ever and is perceived as having a huge victim mentality.

Dunno about the team having a "victim mentality"

But Chek seems to have one and to be fair he has brought a lot of that upon himself.

Good/Great Managers surround themselves with good/great people. Chek's 3 assistants don't fall into that category.

I really suspect Chek needs to look within a bit more. His great motivational team talks/rants initially worked very well at the Tahs with the cattle they had. Probably a bit tiresome now.

I hope the Review is honest. A shitty EOYT may mean the Review is robust

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think this nails it.

There would be a lot more pressure on the Wallaby coaches if the Super Rugby sides had been killing it and the test season was a departure from that.

You'd hope an end of season review happens after the Spring Tour and looks particularly at the assistants and their dual roles as well as trying to improve the coordination of the Australian Super Rugby teams and the Wallabies and improving our overall playing ability.
I don't think the dual roles would be nearly as big an issue if the 'right people' we're doing it.
There are huge question marks about the calibre of his assistants IMO.

Whilst you should always be looking at ways to improve, I don't think the sum of the parts are greater then the whole ATM,so any improvements will be marginal, and not the exponential improvement most are looking for.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Is the problem the coach, or the players?

Sadly it looks to me as though we are severely lacking in talent these days. Not sure exactly why.

Cheika has done some really good things, in my opinion. Holding out the olive branch to the Soup coaches, and inviting them to take up assistant coaching roles in the Wallabies organisation. Giteau's Law. Mick Byrne.

It's not Chubby that has to change. It's our players. And that takes time.

As far as win records are concerned, yes, 30% is not good enough. But we did as well in the recent internationals as we could have expected. Beat the Argies twice, beat the Saffers here, and played exceptionally well against them at Loftus.

How did our Soup franchises do? Is Cheika to blame for their poor performance?

That's where the players have got to come from, not out of thin air.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think the dual roles would be nearly as big an issue if the 'right people' we're doing it.
There are huge question marks about the calibre of his assistants IMO.

Whilst you should always be looking at ways to improve, I don't think the sum of the parts are greater then the whole ATM,so any improvements will be marginal, and not the exponential improvement most are looking for.

To me the issue is that Chek obviously cannot or will not see fault in the coaching staff, as a whole. Pretty hard to select players when he has trouble surrounding himself with good assistants.

Shit always rolls downhill so the players should be the last in the firing or smelly line.

The players are ALL playing their hearts out, admittedly some netter than others but that's a part of the sport we love

It's the one per centers we are missing

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

While I agree with many of your points made, but you haven't pointed out any better candidates to replace either Cheika or his assistant's.

I will say that, even if Dingo has a better win to loss record than Cheika, I enjoy watching this current team tenfold compared to the crap we had to put up under previous management.

If hypothetically speaking, we won all three matches against the Poms, would we be calling for Chieka's head? Or are we simply being too knee-jerky over a post WC season where we've arguably played the best 4 teams in the world right now.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
While I agree with many of your points made, but you haven't pointed out any better candidates to replace either Cheika or his assistant's.

I will say that, even if Dingo has a better win to loss record than Cheika, I enjoy watching this current team tenfold compared to the crap we had to put up under previous management.

If hypothetically speaking, we won all three matches against the Poms, would we be calling for Chieka's head? Or are we simply being too knee-jerky over a post WC season where we've arguably played the best 4 teams in the world right now.

Mate BUT we didn't beat England, NOT ONCE

I try and deal with reality otherwise we shoulda/coulda won the world cup

T

Tip

Is the problem the coach, or the players?

Sadly it looks to me as though we are severely lacking in talent these days. Not sure exactly why.

The talents there, it just sits idly on the bench whilst players of inferior quality suck up breathing room. Lopeti Timani is proof of this

Moore, Mumm, Phipps, Foley & Hooper should all be on the bench.

Perhaps if the coach selected the best team, with the best players in each position we'd stand a chance.

Obviously, pigs will fly before Foley and Hooper are relegated to the bench used as impact players.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The talents there, it just sits idly on the bench whilst players of inferior quality suck up breathing room. Lopeti Timani is proof of this

Moore, Mumm, Phipps, Foley & Hooper should all be on the bench.

Perhaps if the coach selected the best team, with the best players in each position we'd stand a chance.

Obviously, pigs will fly before Foley and Hooper are relegated to the bench used as impact players.

Something something not enough Queenslanders?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am inclined to think that the Bledisloe 3 game again probably covered up some deficiencies in both the team selections and the game plan. The first half, particularly, after they had their first two tries on the board, the ABs played more poorly than I've seen them for some time. Dropped ball, poor decisions, missed goals and lack of urgency kept the Wallabies in the match.

From our perspective, I didn't think we showed any improvement in our defensive structures, nor in our vision in attack, and our mistakes rate was still too high. Unless we show a decided improvement in Europe, I can see that the grand slam will be well beyond us.

Improvements need to start with selections. I question why James Slipper is on the outer. He seems to be stronger in the scrum than Scott Sio and probably has a higher work rate around the ground. Scott would make a very good late replacement imo, and I don't think Tom Robertson is quite up to test standard as a LHP atm. Squeaky Moore is still not playing consistently at a high quality. Too many times is first receiver and just hits it up to the gain line without offering any threat to the defense. Easy meat for the opposition. I don't think Hanson is any better, so I'd be looking at Latu as a possible starter.

Second row looks to be settled, and (bite my tongue) Rob Simmons was actually quite effective off the bench.

Back row is getting there. Fardy, McMahon and RHP look the best for No 6, Hooper and Pocock to share or compete for the No 7 spot, and Timani at 8 with cover from McMahon until someone like Holloway comes in.

Phipps is a hell of a step down from Genia, but who is better? Not Frisby, Powell or Stirzaker I'm afraid. Looking forward to Louwrens and Gordon coming into the squad, hopefully sooner rather than later.

No 10 is contentious (ha, ha!). As a totally independent, unbiassed observer without any parochial favouritism getting in the way, I declare Cooper to be streets ahead of Foley in most aspects of No 10 play. Bernard is a better runner of the ball, but that's as far as the comparison in his favour goes. Quade has more vision for the game, has better backline game management and is much more creative than Bernard. Their tackling abilities are much of a muchness as is their goal kicking. Quade's kicking in general play is much superior.

Really pissed off that Kerevi picked up his injury. Reece Hodge did not show the line bending or tackle breaking abilities that we want to see in a 12, and he is very slow by international standards for a No 12. He also didn't show any particular ball distribution skills in the position. Again, who else is there? I'd want Kerevi as our No 12, but that looks unlikely with his injury and with the apparent coaching attitudes towards him. Looks like Reece will get to stay there for the time being.

If Kerevi did fill the 12 spot, or if he is out injured, then I'd bring back Kuridrani at 13. I really would like to see the combination of the two Ks be given a good chance to develop - one exceptional attacking player with very good defense, and the other a very strong defender with his attacking prowess coming back after injuries.

Wing and full back spots are between DHP, Folau, Naivalu, Speight and hopefully Morahan, in the configurations that the coaches might want for particular games. I'd also hope to see Kellaway get a spot in the squad.

But they need to play much better than they have done so this year to have a hope of doing the Grand Slam, or indeed to win a majority of their tour matches.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
TWAS,

Do we really know what Cheika's modus operandi is? Yes, he does yell a lot in public, but how do we know whether or not that carries through to his relationships with his staff, and the playing group, behind closed doors?
Having walked past the sheds after a gen blue game.
It was behind closed doors and you could here it a long way away.
So I'd suggest what you see is what you get.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
All you can really hope for from a team and a coach is that they don't make the same mistakes twice.

That's what disappointed me so much about the weekend. Same issues, with the same results.

Foley's kicking - repeated by us all as nauseam. And yet within minutes on Saturday he put in a shallow kick that didn't find touch and Bang. Try time. There was missed touch later in the match and another try.
Add in another charge down!

3 NZ tries is going to be enough to beat us mist games and we just gift it to them

The all blacks are clearly better than us but at least come up with a plan where Foley isn't kicking to their wingers and our clearances aren't getting charged down.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Foley is just not good enough at the basics. Yes, he does do some lovely things, but bugger me, he stuffs up the bread-and-butter side of things far too often.

Who else is there? Quade is not the answer, either. There is nobody on the horizon, either. Until we get a good 10 who can kick properly, as well as all the other routine stuff, we can forget about beating the best teams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really wonder if Chuckles siege mentality is a real good thing. Look I know he little hissy fit at press conference on Sunday may have been to deflect pressure off team after another loss, but I would of liked to see some positive comments from him. Ok I a kiwi, but I really thought a bit of talking up your young second row was in order, and Timani. I heard him say nothing positive about his team. Where was the mention of any improvements, not only for the team to hear, but also the Aussie public, I had a couple of fellas at work today (not rugby fans, just casual watchers) really rubbish the team and rugby in general, quoting how bad things are and using Chuckles comments to try and prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.