• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There were some very unhappy and incredulous coaches in Canberra when they let him go

In all fairness, people felt the same here when Rob Valetini left.

I don't like seeing the smaller Super teams poach from each other's stock, though in plenty of cases guys move for better opportunities and I get we never see 'behind the scenes'.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well we are coming down to the business end and the review that will shortly follow. Our win/loss ratio is disgraceful. The numbers don't lie.

Reckon the ARU would be very disappointed with the results to hand in 2016.

Rugby in this country is firmly attached to it's biggest brand, the Wallabies.

For rugby to grow and dare I say it, flourish , the national team needs to be winning a lot more games.

Hope the Brains Trust can make the right decisions (whatever they are), irrespective of personalities, tribalism, feelings, contracts, blah blah

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
giphy.gif

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
IDK if it was with you Scrubber, but we've talked about this. Analysis of this year is a case of 'trend line' V 'summary of the year in numbers'.

The summary of the year in numbers looks bad, and like you said it's not good for fan engagement. We lost most than we won.

However, the performance trendline (England tests = shit, RC = okay, Spring tour = more okay) means that the staff made some adjustments and got things pointing the right direction.

I'm sure the end-of-year review will be mixed, but not terrible.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Look we were crap in June.. wemt ok in the RC.. and if we beat England this weekend great tour.. if we lose its an ok tour.. I love rugby and I cant say Ive hated this years games..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Really crap tour. There is, tbf, growth and development in the team. Its just not enough to convince we will stay better than top 5.

I'm not seeing much that suggests we can close our chances to turn tight games let alone when we fall behind (as with England).

We are with Cheika for the medium term, no obvious alternative. God help us though if the future is stumbling out of 3 or 4 years of Vheika followed by 3 or 4 years of Larkham.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Simon Cron is my medium term smokie for higher honours. He had Northern Suburbs playing very good footy in the SS. He seems to be able to get the best out of his players, and knows how to meld them into a potent team. Good in both attack and defence.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Cheika will get one more year to show improvement I think and so will Larkham. If 2017 is like 2016 we should expect both to be sacked, as that will not be good enough for anyone. In spite all of the things going against the game here in Australia, we're still a proud rugby nation with winning records against most top tier teams. We should expect to be in the top 3-4 teams in the world and occasionally challenging for the top spot, but we don't look like it at the moment. I'm happy to be patient for the time being, but there will have to be significant improvement in the June tests next year or heads will have to roll before RWC 2019 comes around.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
4 out of the 15 last night had never played a test before 2016. If we'd been at full strength that number would be 7 out of 17. Nearly half. Cheika and Australian rugby need time that no one is willing to give.

We're not NZ. We don't have an endless chain of players born to play rugby. Nor are we England and have millions of $$ so we could hire an Australian to teach us to play rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Simon Cron is my medium term smokie for higher honours. He had Northern Suburbs playing very good footy in the SS. He seems to be able to get the best out of his players, and knows how to meld them into a potent team. Good in both attack and defence.

I'd like to see him have at least one more season in SS and NRC before getting a super gig. Too many modern coaches go straight to the elite professional level without doing the basics in club land. Far better to make the inevitable mistakes in SS than at super or test level.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the coaches are probably safe until the 2019 RWC. Unless I'm mistaken, the ARU hasn't got the reserves to afford to sack anyone, so I think it's a case of making the best of what we've got.

So, if no changes to the coaching setup, then there will need to be changes to the playing group.

A couple of obvious returns to the side will be Coleman, Arnold and Kerevi. Hopefully Genia will return by the RC next year also. Of the players who have elected to go overseas, maybe Beale, Tomane, To'omua and Holmes will slot in.

Then we will need to look at the up and coming stars. I like the look of:

Holloway. Think he would make an ideal running No 6 to complement Hooper, playing like a proper 7, and Timani at 8.

Louwrens. Perhaps the next No 9 to play like Will Genia. Good in attack and defense and looks to be a good game organiser.

Gordon. Possesses sheer speed, faster than any of our current No 9s, and hugely effective in supporting the ball carrier.

RHP. Plays lock, No 6 and/or No 8. Huge motor and very aggressive. Has the mongrel to succeed at test level imo.

Dempsey. Looks to be a bit on the light side, but very effective at No 6.

Can't see an out and out No 10 anywhere on the horizon unfortunately.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
4 out of the 15 last night had never played a test before 2016. If we'd been at full strength that number would be 7 out of 17. Nearly half. Cheika and Australian rugby need time that no one is willing to give.

We're not NZ. We don't have an endless chain of players born to play rugby. Nor are we England and have millions of $$ so we could hire an Australian to teach us to play rugby.
On the other hand, 11 starters from a world cup final 12 months ago.

Just a 6, IC and two wingers different.

Wouldnt back this team to get that far this year

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
On the other hand, 11 starters from a world cup final 12 months ago.

Just a 6, IC and two wingers different.

Wouldnt back this team to get that far this year

Others have improved more than us. We've very much had a two steps forward, two steps back type of year.

I can't help but think (and I said so in the lead up to the French match) that making 11 changes for the French match halted the little bit of momentum that we picked up against Argentina, Wales and the close win against Scotland. If you are going to make 11 changes in order to beat Ireland and England, then you'd want to make sure that you do so. As it was we lost both and went within a heartbeat of losing the French game as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.