• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby injuries: poor diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Reading an article about the kiwi's strength and conditioning methods, with things like players being sent off to the farm to go wrestle cattle and sheep, as PART of their fitness regime, it got me thinking.

We obviously take a very serious attitude to fitness, but is it the wrong type? Too much gym time, but not enough actual work outside it? In the Army they talk about being fit to fight. You can be fit and strong, but as soon as you get into a fight, or have to haul arse for extended periods of time/dig a bogged artillery weapon out/cut down trees etc etc, the gym/treadmill-fit men drop like flies.

Players like Andrew Hore are (I think) the one's who spend the morning wrestling cattle and then go to rugby training. and lets face it: he looks like something that escaped from the hill tribes of Game of Thrones, and has only just been relieved of his battle axe and skull necklace.

Compare him to players like Beiber, Cooper, Beale, Digby, Higginbotham etc etc, who look like male models that have been in a day spa when they're not admiring each others pecs in the mirror at the gym, and I think it may go some way to explaining why we just don't have that hardness, and bottomless pit of endurance.

Also, you are what you eat. What's the bet that Hore eats half of one of the cows/sheep that kicked him (but the one who kick him the softest, the one who landed the best shot is probably rewarded) whilst drenching them, for breakfast? This is tenuous at best, but milk in New Zealand doesn't legally have to be pasteurised. A good chunk of the players, especially the guys who own farms, they would just drink the milk straight when it still has all its vitamins and cultures (which is what people started drinking milk for).

This sort of lifestyle/diet, it makes me wonder if its the difference? I'd wager Beiber eats lots of sushi, drinks vitamin water, has skinny latte's and eats lots of official protein powders/Suisse stuff. Do you reckon many of our players concsiously try to eat lots of Vitamin C?

Vitamin C is the single most important ingredient required for the production of collagen and elastin, which is what tendons/ligaments/muscles etc etc need to maintain their suppleness and durability. With him being out for the whole international season with a....hamstring strain......does this sound logical?

We have an alarming number of soft tissue injuries at the moment, should diet be investigated? But more, traditional lines of diet? Eg organic vegetables and meat, unprocessed vitamins/milk, natural forms of protein like eggs and sweet potato, instead of heavily processed and manufactured supplements?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
You may be able to provide some insight into this mate. What kind of food does Benton have the Brumbies eating? He's controlling their meals, and we had a pretty good year with injury. In fact I think it was only our flyhalves who went down for an extended period of time? Colby missed the season, but other than him and To'omua/Lealiifano, I cant think of any other actual injury issues?

So, he's obviously doing something correctly. From what I heard about the preseason last year, it sounded torturous, but very well balanced and not repetitive ?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Good thoughts Brumbleman and would like to see a balanced response from an expert in this field to complement your piece.
Slightly off topic but reminds me of Brad Thorn's gym workout that was on GAGR. His gym equipment looked to be straight out of the 1950's, raw and basic.
Enough of the gimmicks and BS, if it's good enough for Thorn, it'll do our blokes. I bet he eats big and well too.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm sure I read the ABs S&C guys build specific training exercises into various player's programmes such as fence-posting, other farm work, and so on; builds real usable strength, and gives them variety from the grind. And it seems to work.
Can't really speak for the dietary impact in soft tissue injuries, but I'm sure it all goes hand in hand.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm sure I read the ABs S&C guys build specific training exercises into various player's programmes such as fence-posting, other farm work, and so on; builds real usable strength, and gives them variety from the grind. And it seems to work.
Can't really speak for the dietary impact in soft tissue injuries, but I'm sure it all goes hand in hand.

Yeah, that was the article. Players of drenching sheep, castrating cattle, fence-posting etc etc. Jerry Collins used to do the Wellington bin run, for a bit of fun and extra fitness. And I remember someone that used to run up a mountain somewhere?

Exercise that is actual, useable-strength building-focussed. Like that training vid of Thorn, perfect example. Wouldn't surprise me if he had some buckets fill with concrete as his weights.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
As a general observation :-

Gym Instructor: 'What do you want to achieve?'

Client: 'General fitness"

Gym Instructor: "Sorry I only make specific muscles look good, it's all about you're abs and you're pecks'

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reading an article about the kiwi's strength and conditioning methods, with things like players being sent off to the farm to go wrestle cattle and sheep, as PART of their fitness regime, it got me thinking.

...snip/,,,,

One could be rather coarse and suggest that they are sent to the farm, by their Life Skills coach rather than the S&C coach. The wrestling sheep bit is for them to hone their courting ritual.

T

TOCC

I think you will find the farm work ritual is also about breaking their routine and mentally stimulating the players rather then purely focussing on the strength/fitness aspect...

Hitting plateaus in the gym is well documented, a change of routine is one of the best ways to overcome these obstacles.

Farm work can also train plyometrically and compound muscle groups which may not be worked by your standard gym equipment.

T

TOCC

Brumbieman you do have a point though... The two fundamental building blocks to recovery are sleep and nutrition..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It sort of reflects this cross fit craze which is just hitting Aus.

More all round work, far less specific muscle groups and sharper harder workouts - the whole goal is the all round athletes who can sprint, then do handstand push ups o_O

Diet? these guys have dietitians who monitor this stuff

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
What I'd be curious to know is, how much piss are our lads sinking.

I have spent a fair bit of time in Central QLD. I know a lot of blokes that work on properties that drink like fish and they are some of the fittest and hardest guys I know. I know laying off the piss is a good idea if you want to get fit or lose weight etc but from what I've seen it's not the be all and end all.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A very interesting idea Brumbieman. It makes sense to me.

Quite a few years ago, my 50 year old uncle needed help carrying a big concrete fountain up the stairs to the back of his house at Bondi (a very hilly area). He went down to City Gym to hire two strong guys (the strongest he could find) for the job. They turned up all buff and beautiful, strapped on their belts, and what ended up happening? My uncle took one end and the strong guys took the other because neither of them couldn't manage one end alone. My uncle has never been into a gym in his life, and he does not look like a body builder, but he has done much manual work and is definitely strong. If he was trying to outmuscle those guys in the gym he wouldn't be able to do it, but somehow when it came to carrying the fountain he outstripped them. There are a few possible reasons: he has developed muscles that gym routines possibly didn't (especially if they were primarily working on their looks), his grip and his back are exceptionally strong (carrying crap and doing manual work all your life can do that), he is a tough determined old bugger who was prepared to push through the pain to get the damn fountain up the stairs.....

I think the All Blacks have got it right in encouraging diverse strength and conditioning activities, both for their physical and psychological readiness for the rigors of international rugby.

As for diet, my uncle's daily intake of red wine probably should not be added to any S&C programme.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I have spent a fair bit of time in Central QLD. I know a lot of blokes that work on properties that drink like fish and they are some of the fittest and hardest guys I know. I know laying off the piss is a good idea if you want to get fit or lose weight etc but from what I've seen it's not the be all and end all.

I'll have to go looking for it (I could have sworn someone posted it on G&GR) that the Grog doesn't effect fitness as much as it does with muscle recovery.

Managed to find it:

Link to the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22836602
Link to the new article about it: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/08/07/3561589.htm

He says the results suggest that although the body is still able to perform at peak levels, the drop in cognition abilities could mean the body is not able to respond as effectively to stimuli.
"In rugby league, a reduction in cognitive functioning such as decision making and reaction times may prove detrimental to athlete training progression because … learning outcomes may be hindered," the authors say in the paper.

I'm sure Bruce will be able to give greater insight to the effect Grog and food has on a players recovery and peak output (both in Stamina and in Strength).

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
These guys are professional sportsmen, and with the well documented studies on the impact of drinking on recovery and performance, you would hope they would be moderate in the levels they imbibe. I have read all the comments before about how a few drinks deosn't hurt, but getting a skinful while playing for the Senior B team is a lot different from playing for a living. I have no issue with them having a few beers after a game, but getting drunk is another. i could not believe the England team having organied drinking sessions during the RWC last year, could they not hold off a couple of weeks? The Irish boys also hit it pretty hard by all accounts, though they had a bit to celebrate.

Here is a link to the orignal article.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7717820/Superior-fitness-the-All-Blacks-foundation

Interesting to read the focus on running, not weights. Seems to be paying off.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I see what you're getting at and you mask some good points amongst the more ridiculous ones but I doubt it has anything to do with out injuries.

Possibly there are performance links but I doubt to the injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.