• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Leinster have said they've released him already (to the ARU to train, not from his Leinster contract). It's a pretty strange situation, someone needs to clarify it from either Douglas' side or the ARU's.

It would appear that the Reds (and the ARU) may be in negotiations with Leinster, if that is the case, nothing will be said that may affect those negotiations.

It would be wonderful to see him back (even in Red), I rate him highly as a bloody good lock with a big motor who does the hard tight stuff.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Douglas seeking an early release might also have something to do with Kane and his now fiancée Jenn announcing their pending nuptials and that they're expecting their first child.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
George Smith put the best part of a Super Rugby season into the Brumbies before getting that Wallaby jersey remember. My view on the Mumm selection would be very different if the path was the same.
Exactly. All NH players should have to go through this type of path leading to possible Wallaby selection imo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It doesn't make any sense, one of the articles said he won't even be doing contact training until next month. How can be fit for a Test match, he hasn't played a game in months. No way he plays before the RWC and then he'd struggle to make the squad without game time.

A lot of hype is flying around about Douglas atm. Based on his previous Wallabies' form, he'd struggle to make the team even if he had prior game time.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Exactly. All NH players should have to go through this type of path leading to possible Wallaby selection imo.
There has to be a process, it doesn't have to be that one though. As long as they are eligible all they need to do is prove their value over their alternatives. The way this test season is structured it allows that before the bledisloe, and more importantly the RWC. Just because they are being considered now doesn't meant they will be chosen, but if they are you'd hope/think that it's because they were considered the superior option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes I agree, people also shouldn't get too outraged over his selection until he actually arrives in Australia if he does. I don't think it'll happen.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For those with short memories. Kane Douglas was mostly in competition with Timani for a spot in the Wallabies and usually missed out to Timani because Timani brought more aggression and go forward to the side. And of course, Timani's big problem was that he resembled a powder puff in contact. Says a lot for Douglas. It is indefensible imo that someone who has put in all year long like Luke Jones loses out to someone whose form is really unknown and is currently injured like Kane Douglas.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A lot of hype is flying around about Douglas atm. Based on his previous Wallabies' form, he'd struggle to make the team even if he had prior game time.

Different coach mate, one that is a fan of his attributes and workrate.

He was one of the reasons the Tahs did so well in 2014

T

Train Without a Station

Different coach mate, one that is a fan of his attributes and workrate.

He was one of the reasons the Tahs did so well in 2014

Oddly enough he was also one of the reasons the Wallabies did so poorly against the BIL.

T

Train Without a Station

yep all him, please if the Reds don't want him, send him back to the Tahs

Players being outperformed by their opposites is why we lost. He was one of them (notice I said one, not all). I thought it's pretty relevant because we are talking about him as a potential Wallaby here, so how he performed at that level is pretty critical.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
For those with short memories. Kane Douglas was mostly in competition with Timani for a spot in the Wallabies and usually missed out to Timani because Timani brought more aggression and go forward to the side. And of course, Timani's big problem was that he resembled a powder puff in contact. Says a lot for Douglas. It is indefensible imo that someone who has put in all year long like Luke Jones loses out to someone whose form is really unknown and is currently injured like Kane Douglas.
Not sure that is entirely accurate. If I recall correctly Douglas's problem was consistency - something most of our side has been guilty of for at least the last 2-3 years. On his day he was very effective as a physical lock. I am also pretty sure there were articles to the effect that Douglas was greatly impacted by the passing of his mother.
It is one thing to complain about the process that would have him included in the RWC squad above other options that played Super Rugby (although if he isn't even fit to train at present I suspect that people may be jumping at shadows there), but to argue that Douglas has nothing to add in terms of his ability or potential is plain wrong IMO.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Further to that, I would love to see him signed for the Reds - I reckon he has plenty of quality and having Brad Thorn around him can't hurt.

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
If Douglas has been released by Leinster for the World Cup what point was there in the 7 and 60 rule? Maybe we should now be selecting Maafu who's done well enough to earn a contract at Toulon. It's a huge slap in the face to the likes of Jones and Coleman if true.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think an in form Douglas would be a handy addition to the wallabies pack, as he provides the size and power that the likes of Jones, Dennis and Mumm lack.

But for the time being he's not in form, not healthy and not eligible.

T

Train Without a Station

Not sure that is entirely accurate. If I recall correctly Douglas's problem was consistency - something most of our side has been guilty of for at least the last 2-3 years. On his day he was very effective as a physical lock.

It's a fair argument you raise. I really disagree though. He burst on the scene with a great debut against Argentina, but never performed against the best teams and was generally one of our weaker players. He clearly must not have been showing much in 2013 as Link wanted to drop Horwill repeatedly, however chose Horwill over Douglas against England when Simmons got injured, then chose Timani over Douglas to partner him leaving Douglas as the last lock in the squad on the bench.

Periods like this (Link's immediate desire to demote Horwill) presented opportunities to players to stake a claim. Douglas failed to whilst Simmons went from bench option as best against the Lions to preferred starter ever since.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
What about Digby Ione? He was pretty devastating for us and the Reds until he headed off to France. How's his form been?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
IMO as much as Douglas had a massive season for the Tahs last year, clearly his best ever IMO, this situation is Elsom all over again. Elsom was given a free ride into a Wallabies jumper through pure sophistry and playing the contractual terms against themselves to defeat the very reason they were framed, ie to have players based and playing in Australia supporting Australian Rugby playing in the Wallabies. Then Vickerman was brought back despite not playing pro rugby for over a year, and clearly injured. That neither party lived up to the expectations is not the point. The ethics of the situation is. As much as I'm a Douglas fan, he does not satisfy the new 7/60 rule, and he hasn't played the season in Super Rugby. He shouldn't be selected over those who have performed at that level. FWIW the same applies to Mumm.

Reactions: TSR
T

Train Without a Station

Gnostic I think that's rather kind to Douglas. Elsom was a top performer for years before he left and was considered the best player in Europe when he was there.

Douglas had one good season and seemingly has not maintained it in Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.