• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
TWAS - that is just it, I don't care about how Elsom went in Ireland. The decision neatly circumvented the spirit of the rule.

When Deans wanted to play a conservative kicking based game plan at the 2011 RWC why didn't he get in touch with Brock James and get him a 1 year Super contract? James was consistently one of the best 10s in France for that game.

I really despise people manipulating the rules for some individuals and pretending that they are keeping the spirit of the rules.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's a shame - haven't seen him in his games in the Top 14, but had fond memories of him as a Wallaby. Always seemed to give 110%.

State Francais his club won the title this year, he didn't even make the 23 for the last 5 or so games.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When Deans wanted to play a conservative kicking based game plan at the 2011 RWC why didn't he get in touch with Brock James and get him a 1 year Super contract? James was consistently one of the best 10s in France for that game.

Just because McCabe was at 12 doesn't mean Dean's wanted a conservative kicking style, if he did he would've played Barnes over Quade.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I really think everyone is getting a bit carried away with this whole Douglas situation. At this stage it looks like nothing more than the ARU trying to negotiate a release to get him back here next year, via the Reds. Given that from all reports he can't even train properly until next month I doubt he would be regarded as anything other than a 2016+ proposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A lot of hype is flying around about Douglas atm. Based on his previous Wallabies' form, he'd struggle to make the team even if he had prior game time.

I agree with Fatprop. Douglas is a bit of a Palu. Because he's not a ball-running lock, who runs around with players hanging off his back like ants, fans think he does nothing.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree with Fatprop. Douglas is a bit of a Palu. Because he's not a ball-running lock, who runs around with players hanging off his back like ants, fans think he does nothing.

No. Because he has been ineffective and had a low work rate in Wallabies games fans think he does nothing.

Did he suddenly become more noticeable in 2014?

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I hope they give Rory Arnold a go during the RC - did pretty well this year for all his inexperience. Certainly has a bit of size too

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I really think everyone is getting a bit carried away with this whole Douglas situation. At this stage it looks like nothing more than the ARU trying to negotiate a release to get him back here next year, via the Reds. Given that from all reports he can't even train properly until next month I doubt he would be regarded as anything other than a 2016+ proposition.

The other issue with this whole Douglas discussion is that Leinster are adamant Douglas sees out his contract there which is another 2 years after the world cup. This rules him out of that other funny rule where by if you sign with an Aus Super team for 2 years you are eligible to represent the Wallabies once that contract starts.

“We have been in discussions with the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and with Kane for a few weeks now and we have made our position very clear. Kane is contracted to Leinster Rugby for another two seasons and we look forward to welcoming him back when his commitments with the ARU come to an end.” - Leinster Manager Guy Easterby

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If Douglas has been released by Leinster for the World Cup what point was there in the 7 and 60 rule? Maybe we should now be selecting Maafu who's done well enough to earn a contract at Toulon. It's a huge slap in the face to the likes of Jones and Coleman if true.
Players are also eligible if they sign for the next 2 years in Oz.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Please, try not to get in the way of the frothing indignation with rational talk.
ARU trying to get him back for next year with a possible top-up to help a move to the Reds; it is known he is rehabbing from injury; they want to get him in the training sphere to have a look where he is ( having played for Oz before). Chance of playing for the Wallabies this year would be low. I'd rather guys like this are in Oz rugby than not.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
She conveniently leaves out that he can't even train properly at present.

Plus the fact that clubs are able to let players leave based on compassion grounds. If all parties aren't dicks to one another I'm sure Leicester will let him leave to be with his pregnant wife without being paid for anything. After all, they can always sign a new lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.