• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Surely Karmichael would be a chance. Provides a safer bench cover than Beale due to his superior defence and cooler head (My opinion only), and a stronger attacking cover to McCabe with equal versatility.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He can definitely make the 23, if he adapts quickly he will be an excellent utility, covering the centres and fullback. The limited test experience he'll be able to gain may count against him, but with 3 years of origin, an nrl premiership and an Heineken cup final under his belt he hardly lacks big game experience.

T

Train Without a Station

Played in big games and isn't at all afraid of a challenge. People made good points about Izzy's experience and I think Hunt's is stronger and he has shown much stronger mental fortitude in his career.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hunt would absolutely be a chance to play test rugby next year (and subsequently go to the RWC) but he'd have to hit the ground running much like Folau did. There's not really much time to ease back into rugby to have a chance of playing the RWC.

Given Beale's current form though, I think Hunt would have difficulty leapfrogging him. Beale has played the relatively unfamiliar position of 12 and turned into one of the best in the comp this season and has shown the ability to play there off the bench against France.

How he goes there in the Rugby Championship will give a good indication of how he rates against the best (assuming he gets an opportunity at 12).

He's obviously weaker in defence than many other options but teams have struggled to take advantage of that whilst his attacking stats dominate every other 12 in Super Rugby (and most 10s).

T

Train Without a Station

I think France easily exploited Beale's defensive frailty. I believe Dwyer noted he didn't realise Bausteraad was playing until Beale came on.

That weakness is offset by better footwork, acceleration and ability to find a hole though.

If it becomes a choice to be made, I believe it will come down to whether they want a safer option, or stronger attacking option. There's merit for both sides of the argument.

But as you noted BH, Hunt would need to hit the ground running first.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think France easily exploited Beale's defensive frailty. I believe Dwyer noted he didn't realise Bausteraad was playing until Beale came on.

In the same paragraph Dwyer also noted that Beale straightened the attack and created two linebreaks.

Beale does fall off tackles. That's well documented and his tackling stats most weeks support that. The question of how much that costs his team is the important one. I think he's well and truly ahead on that ledger this season.

I think at this stage though, Beale well and truly has the inside running in that his form is excellent and whilst Hunt might be a better overall 12 given time, Beale's utility value makes him excellent for that bench role where he might need to cover multiple positions.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How about we see him play first and 4 years ago doesn't count. It could be like Izzy where all it took was 60 seconds of a trial match against the Rebels to know he was going to be a superstar.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How about we see him play first and 4 years ago doesn't count. It could be like Izzy where all it took was 60 seconds of a trial match against the Rebels to know he was going to be a superstar.

And a few minutes of the Reds game to know he had a lot to learn on defence.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So back to 23 for world cup.. if Karmichael comes could he make it.. I think he has as good a chance as JOC (James O'Connor) .. Im excited probably more then Izzy.. mostly as its been drawn out but the guys class ..

I reckon I've got more chance of winning Lotto than Hunt being anywhere near the 23

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon I've got more chance of winning Lotto than Hunt being anywhere near the 23
Probably not a crazy shot for the overall squad though. A player who can cover multiple positions gives us more flexibility in the squad. It makes it easier to take cover for a star with an injury concern that we seem to have every RWC.

T

Train Without a Station

One injury to To'omua, Folau or Beale and he is very likely to be in the 23 providing he hits the ground running.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
After last night's draw I thought I'd look at the RWC fixtures and see where we might play NZ. If we don't lose a game, we'd play them in the final or not at all. If we lose a pool game, it'd be the same as 2011 where we'd most likely play SA in the quarters, then NZ in the semis. If we lose more than one pool game, I'd imagine we wouldn't make it to the QFs.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Sad to see us lose McCabe, but it certainly opens the door for a few players to make the world cup squad. Goodwin, Lilo and Hunt are probably the players most likely to benefit.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
enough talk already.
Karmichael Hunt in.
will be on the November Wallaby tour to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.