• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Do you think if he signs and plays minutes in the NRC they will consider him if it suits them?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Did he play Super Rugby this year?

In fact, has he played any sport in 12 months?

Then no, he's not going to be on the November Wallaby tour.....

The ARU may well consider an SBW style exemption to get him on it. He'd need some game time in the NRC and there'd probably need to be an injury or two but it's certainly not outside the realms of possibility. Still stands as unlikely though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'll declare it now so's we all know when it happens: KHunt's got a few physical problems to sort out before he'll cut the mustard in rugby. In fact I called for a thorough medical examination before any money's paid over by the QRU. I wouldn't be the least surprised if he spends more time in the infirmary than on the field.

T

Train Without a Station

I just did some research on Hunt. His injury history I could find is as follows

1. First VFL game in 2010 he left the field with cramp in the third quarter - Would have played 60-70 minutes at least;
2. Strained his groin in his 3rd VFL game and missed one game due to the injury;
3. Hunt's 2011 season was ended early, said to be "burnt out";
4. In August 2012 Hunt's season was ended with a shoulder injury;
5. Missed Rounds 7-10 with a hamstring tendinits in 2013;
6. Missed Round 15 with a calf injury in 2013;
7. Ended the game with cramp in Round 16 - Played NEAFL;
8. Missed rounds 17-19 with a calf injury;
9. In January 2014 he injured his toe at home in a general accident;
10. Missed Round 5 of the NEAFL in 2014 with concussion;
11. In July 2014 Karmichael Hunt was sidelined with a knee injury. Missed rounds 13-19. He recovered to be available for selection in August.

His games history at the Suns was as follows:

2010 - 8 VFL games;
2011 - 16 AFL Games;
2012 - 18 AFL Games;
2013 - 9 AFL Games;
2014 - 1 AFL Game.

Also according to http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116260/Karmichael-HUNT he missed the following games in 2012-2014 due to injury (This includes concussion):
2012 - 4 Games
2013 - 8 Games
2014 - 9 Games

In his time in AFL Hunt has had 5 injuries which caused him to miss games. Calf, Hamstring, Knee and Shoulder and Concussion.

The latter two are the risks of a contact sport. The first two he appeared to recover from and caused him no issues in 2014. The knee injury he recovered from well enough to play the season out in NEAFL and be available for selection.

Just because he wasn't playing AFL, it doesn't mean he wasn't playing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
In his time in AFL Hunt has had 5 injuries which caused him to miss games. Calf, Hamstring, Knee and Shoulder and Concussion.

The latter two are the risks of a contact sport. The first two he appeared to recover from and caused him no issues in 2014. The knee injury he recovered from well enough to play the season out in NEAFL and be available for selection.

Just because he wasn't playing AFL, it doesn't mean he wasn't playing.

Yeah my understanding was that the weight he had to keep off and the ground he has to cover playing afl were a big factor in his 'injuries'. With an off season to bulk up they shouldn't really be an issue playing in the backs in union.

T

Train Without a Station

I wouldn't say having to keep weight off is an issue. The issue is the higher volume of running. As noted he would run 12+km in a game. Then there is training. I'm sure clocking up 40+km a week in running is great for your calves, hamstrings and knees.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't say having to keep weight off is an issue. The issue is the higher volume of running. As noted he would run 12+km in a game. Then there is training. I'm sure clocking up 40+km a week in running is great for your calves, hamstrings and knees.
That's the reason I tell myself for playing rugby. I could play AFL and run kilometres and kilometres, but it just wouldn't be healthy, so for my own sake, I do rugby and run sporadically. It's really for my own well being :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So the Fox Sports guys had a pick at picking their staring XV. Some very interesting choices there. Lots of ifs and buts.

wallabilty XV world cup.jpg

Justification for choices is here:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...deal-wallaby-xvs/story-e6frf55l-1227062618838

ANNNNNND...GO!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting that the only common selections in the starting XV are the front row, Simmons, Hooper, Folau (although split between wing and fullback), To'omua and Speight.

Interesting that two of them are keen on finding a spot in the starting XV for KB (Kurtley Beale). Surprised Kafer wants to do that. He always strikes me as not being much of a KB (Kurtley Beale) fan.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Thank goodness there's mainstream support for moving Folau back to the wing. He lacks several skills that are critical to test fullback play.

T

Train Without a Station

Interesting that the only common selections in the starting XV are the front row, Simmons, Hooper, Folau (although split between wing and fullback), To'omua and Speight.

Interesting that two of them are keen on finding a spot in the starting XV for KB (Kurtley Beale). Surprised Kafer wants to do that. He always strikes me as not being much of a KB (Kurtley Beale) fan.

Used to fucking tear him apart on Kafe's chalkboard every other week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kafer with Skelton and Pocock. Does he know what a lineout is? Stick to the backs mate.

Interesting that none picked JOC (James O'Connor) whilst even having to move Folau to fix the 2nd wing spot.

T

Train Without a Station

Michael Jones did it in a less professional era but was still a line out option. McCaw is an excellent line out option.

They both had running games too.

Pocock is neither of this. Hooker best suits his skillset but that horse has bolted.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Currently I'd be leaning to the following:-

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Simo
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. Sio
17. TPN
18. Alexander
19. Fardy
20. Pocock
21. Phipps
22. Beale
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Next in line if injuries: Cowan / Charles / Skelton / Horne / Foley

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Pocock is actually a decent ball carrier. The Wallabies use to use him often in the Deans era to crash it up off first phase ball. He had very safe hands and strong leg drive. Very rarely would he make a break or hit a gap but to say he is not a ball carrier is not quite true. Certainly enough there to play at 6.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if starting to use Hodgson off the bench is a bit of an experiment towards combining Pocock and Hooper next year?

It must be crossing Link's mind about having them both available and hoping that Pocock is back in form. Given how short the lead in to the RWC is (and how tough the opposition is in those games), there's not much time for experimentation. Perhaps some of the experimenting is happening now with Hodgson subbing in for Pocock.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't really have any major concerns with Pocock at six, provided he's right physically. He's an excellent defender, able to handle and dish out plenty in the tough stuff, good over the ball (obviously) and is underrated with ball in hand. He doesn't have Hooper's ball running ability, but with Michael fit and in the side he doesn't need to. He could be used in the line out if lifted effectively at two.

I know there are a few folks who reckon he would go alright at hooker and he probably would, but the front row positions are (these days) too technical at the top level to convert someone in their mid twenties.

Status
Not open for further replies.