• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
4. Skelton
5. Coleman
6. Cottrell/Jones
7. McMahon
8. Holloway

Not in time for the world cup but hopefully some for the future

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah McMahon has a few mountains to climb before 7 for Australian.. Hooper and Gill are just as young and then Poey is Poey.. Plus he doesn't play 7 for the Rebels..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The talented young guys who are not quite at Wallaby level now may play some tests but are they really likely to become Wallaby stars in years to come?

By the time the player(s) ahead of them are no longer ahead of them it's just as likely that new younger players will come through and usurp them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm beginning to think some people didn't see Jones play at all before the current season.

He had an immense game last season for the Marlins when they were whipped by the Woodies in the SS Preliminary Final.

I have been a fan for years, ever since he played for the under 20s, or even back to Australian Schools?

I honestly have to say that he has not maintained the rate of improvement that he should.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I don't think he's had the opportunities, Wamberal. He's also had a bad run of injuries the last coupla years. I'd have both Jones and Neville on the EoYT if I was a selector, but I'm not.

This is one of the great disappointments about Australian rugby for me: the inability to turn talented youngsters into seasoned performers. New Zealand do this so much better than us. I was having a chat with Knuckles Connolly before the Tahs game in Brisbane this year about the current situation re the multitude of whiz-bang Queensland backs. He couldn't put his finger on what was going wrong, but he did offer a judgement about coaching after a recent trip across the ditch: theirs is light years ahead of ours. Here's where I hope and pray the NRC brings our level of skills up to the Kiwis'. And the quality of coaching.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it reflects the dismal attacking players the Force have.

If the Force had Phipps, Foley, Beale, Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Alofa would Hodgo have scored that many tries?

Basically if the Hodgo played for the Tahs would he scored as many tries?

fair questions... maybe.

the real question is, would the tahs be a better attacking side with Hodgo? doubt it

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think he's had the opportunities, Wamberal. He's also had a bad run of injuries the last coupla years. I'd have both Jones and Neville on the EoYT if I was a selector, but I'm not.

This is one of the great disappointments about Australian rugby for me: the inability to turn talented youngsters into seasoned performers. New Zealand do this so much better than us. I was having a chat with Knuckles Connolly before the Tahs game in Brisbane this year about the current situation re the multitude of whiz-bang Queensland backs. He couldn't put his finger on what was going wrong, but he did offer a judgement about coaching after a recent trip across the ditch: theirs is light years ahead of ours. Here's where I hope and pray the NRC brings our level of skills up to the Kiwis'. And the quality of coaching.

I dont agree that we should be using some of the most important pre-RWC games to blood young players. Those games are very important to how we fair in the world cup. Our starting 15 (minus our injured players which includes a decent amount of caps) is relatively green. Guys like Skelton, Carter, Sio, Cowan, Charles, need test experience and link has chosen those guys as part of his WC squad. The backline too is full of rookies. the team has plenty of talented youngters and, as you say, they need to be built into seasoned performers. The likes of Neville and Jones will have to wait til 2016, as talented as they may be.

There was some good discussion last night on RHQ about how through 2009-2011 the wallabies discarded a lot of their experience for youth and it ultimately had a negative impact of the wallabies. The All Blacks on the other hand have had a lot more consistency and have valued experience, rather than constantly moving to the next option.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
my Australian XV is 1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Kepu 4. Fardy 5. Horwill
6. Higganbotham 7. Pocock 8. Palu 9. Genia 10. Cooper
11. Cummins 12. To'omua 13. Kuridrani 14. O'Connor 15. Folau

16. Polota-Nau 17. Sio 18. Smith/Holmes 19. Skelton 20. Hooper
21. Phipps 22. Beale 23. Ashley-Cooper/Hunt

I picked my XV based not just on who might be the best player but whats i think would be the best balance for the team. i.e i think hoopers a better player than Poey, but poeys skillset suites the backrow more i think and balances it out. I also tried to pick my bench on who i think would supply the best impact rather than injury cover, thats why i had beale over foley, and skelton over carter/simmons.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Luke Jones does not have the mongrel to play 6. He has a lot of the skills, but he is too nice.

Have you watched the Rebels play? This is the worst comment I have read, just biting my tongue so I don't get in any trouble over my reply.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
When you've been tackled by Jones you know it , in attack he is generally heavily marked and continues to get across the advantage line ..high work rate....no surprise the rising fell away in the NRC when the trio left on the EOYT that scrum was enormous . Maybe we need "solid" rather than "XFactor" , would love to see him with Simmons or at 6 with Hooper (they know each others game through schoolboys and U20 World Cup).

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
My XV:

1 Slipper
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Horwill
6 Higginbotham
7 Pocock/Hooper
8 Palu
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 O'Connor
12 To'omua
13 Kuridrani
14 Speight
15 Folau

16 TPN
17 Sio
18 Holmes / Weeks
19 Jones / Neville
20 Fardy
21 Phipps
22 Beale
23 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My thoughts on the full back position.

No 15. Definitely Izzy, but he does have an issue with his poor kicking. He just needs to trust his ability to run further than he can kick. The missed penalty goal by France where he caught it under the crossbar was an opportunity for him to run as there was only one real chaser coming at him. Had he run, he would have retained possession and probably made more ground than the lollypop kick put in by Foley. But nowhere would I like to see Beale as his backup. He is not consistently good at test level and his defense will never be adequate. If we're looking for a bloke who can take the high ball, run like the wind, kick the shit out of the ball when needed and tackle, then the best on offer atm imo would be Cam Crawford. Needs to be given the opportunity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Crawford produced some excellent rugby in 2013 but that has been it.

I think this would need to be a RWC 2019 thread for him to come into consideration though.

He'll be hard pressed getting a starting spot at the Rebels in 2015.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
nowhere would I like to see Beale as his backup. He is not consistently good at test level and his defense will never be adequate.

He was good enough to be on the shortlist for IRB player of the year in 2010 as a fullback. Australia didn't have one nominee on that shortlist in 2014.

...and McKenzie (mistakenly) thought Beale was good enough to start at fly half in a Bledisloe test 4 months ago, despite not having played the position all year. So let's not put it all on Cheika, or let Beale's off field actions cloud the reality of what he can bring on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.