• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
While we're blathering on about candidates for the 8 jumper, what about Skelton long-term? I always like a big bopper at the back of the scrum, and Will's efforts in the second row aren't exactly encouraging. His open play is his strength, why not suit him up at 8?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While we're blathering on about candidates for the 8 jumper, what about Skelton long-term? I always like a big bopper at the back of the scrum, and Will's efforts in the second row aren't exactly encouraging. His open play is his strength, why not suit him up at 8?

There's definitely a case for it, but I like to see his scrummaging not as a weakness but rather a potential positive which I think the coaches do too. If he can get his technique right and start transferring his weight to the TH prop properly what an asset he's going to be.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon it was at some point last year that Rob Simmons turned from being a poor scrummager to being a strong scrummager.

He should play his 50th test against England on Saturday week.

People were wrongly expecting Skelton to be awesome in the scrum from day 1 because of his size whereas clearly technique is critically important.

Being bigger than everyone else obviously adds some challenges as well. Clearly he finds it more difficult to get the low body height in the scrum and that is probably the area that is doing him the most harm at the moment with his scrummaging.

Hopefully a bit more time and some serious attention on his scrummaging will get him there before too long (before the RWC hopefully!).

He had a shocker against France but he brings some qualities the other locks don't and lock is arguably our weakest position currently. I think Skelton will continue to be part of that group.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
This 23 assumes that Chieka will rewrite the eligibility rules though that's unlikely, it also assumes everyone is at full fitness.

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Simmons
Douglas
Fardy
Hooper
Palu
Phipps
Cooper
Folau
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Speight
Beale

TPN
Sio
Longbottom
Horwill
Higginbotham
Pocock
Genia
JOC (James O'Connor)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Too slow to play 8 imo.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Here's a really dumb question but I can't recall what happens AFTER RWC???? Is that it for Aus rugby or are there end of year tours etc!! Seriously have gone blank on what happens.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here's a really dumb question but I can't recall what happens AFTER RWC???? Is that it for Aus rugby or are there end of year tours etc!! Seriously have gone blank on what happens.

Usually the end but in 2011 we played the Barbarians and Wales because as usual the ARU whores the team out for a cash grab.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
With all due respect to certain enthusiasts, it's a pipe dream to think that Skelton will ever have the stamina for the back row. Right now he hasn't got much more than 30 effective minutes in him playing lock, and I think improving that will be as big a challenge for him as improving the technical parts of his game in the set pieces.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
With all due respect to certain enthusiasts, it's a pipe dream to think that Skelton will ever have the stamina for the back row. Right now he hasn't got much more than 30 effective minutes in him playing lock, and I think improving that will be as big a challenge for him as improving the technical parts of his game in the set pieces.
Tend too agree his young and he just needs to get as fit as he possibly can even if he strips weight to do it. If his in about 125kgs he'd still be devastating. I'm not sure if it's possible but I think it help.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Alright, stab in the dark here.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Fardy
6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. Palu

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Lilo
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Faulkner
19. Skelton
20. Jones
21. Higginbotham
22. Phibbs
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Front Row picks itself. TPN over Saia for impact. Sio and Faulkner as they have decent work rates and a good super season will continue their development. A positive here is that they are NOT Alexander and Robinson :).

Simmons pips Jones on line out work and experience. Fardy has played there before and this gives us an extra on ball player. Skelton on for Simmons with 20 left.

Selecting a (hopefully fit) Pocock allows the selection of Hooper because out of the 6 and 7, you need at least 1 genuine on the ball flanker. Luke Jones to come on when fatigue kicks in, moving Pocock to 7 or to the bench.

Palu gets selected for some effort and a bit of go foward. Higgers to come on with 27 left and there must be at least 2 flick passes.

Genia, with all his flaws beats Phibbs for creativity. In saying this, having Phibbs on the bench gives everyone assurance that there is someone who can get us moving foward.

Cooper over Foley. I think most agree, Foley is good but Cooper is better. He has cut his errors in half and doubled his tackling. His maturity will be good and he will kick start our backs.

Lilo over To'omua for spark. Kurindrani is a given.

Folau is chosen because he is Israel Folau. Speight is chosen for his speed and toughness and JOC (James O'Connor) is chosen as you need at least 1 proficient kicker in the back 3.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is unlucky however his versatility puts him here. He gives us the option in 11,13,14 and 15.

Other Squad members:
Hunt
Foley
To'omua
Horwill
Saia
PAE
Smith

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

As much as the concept appeals to me, he's going to need to develop a better motor if he's ever to be seriously considered at eight. Playing in the back row requires a fairly high degree of aerobic fitness and he'd be walking after 10 minutes right now. That's not to say he couldn't develop though, he's still young.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Seems pretty risky to be suggesting that a player returning from a knee reconstruction is secure in their starting Wallaby spot.

If all goes well, Moore will absolutely be there and he may well be captain, but that's a fairly big if at the moment. Moore is our best hooker, but he's not so far and away the best that he can be running around at 80% and still be better than everyone else (I don't think anyone is that good).

Who was the last player to make a seemless return from a knee reconstruction?

This is a good point BH.
Many posters overlook the effects of the injury when looking at the players output.
How many times have we heard "Horwill from 2012"
People should go back and look at the replay of the ruck he was in when the injury occurred.
Similar for Pocock, his body position when he was injured made my toes curl.
A large portion of these injuries, the player never regains full movement or strength and never plays the same way as they were prior to the injury.
Have we seen QC (Quade Cooper) dancing the way he used to?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
As much as the concept appeals to me, he's going to need to develop a better motor if he's ever to be seriously considered at eight. Playing in the back row requires a fairly high degree of aerobic fitness and he'd be walking after 10 minutes right now. That's not to say he couldn't develop though, he's still young.

We all like big mobile blokes blah blah..I've said it before that Skelton at his current size is too big. The only way he will EVER become a serious international is to get down to 125kg (and fit) and improve the technical aspects. He SEEMS to be a slow learner. A body that big just will not have the physiology to perform at the highest level over a considerable time.

Status
Not open for further replies.