• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree on trying to run multiple phases out of our 22. It works every now and then, but as a consistent tactic it's something that can work at provincial level but is unlikely to be successful at Test level.

The other thing I was struggling with is why Foley was taking our exit kicks (and penalty kicks for touch) when To'omua has a much bigger kick on him. Under Link To'omua did most of the long kicking, but under Cheika it's pretty much been Foley.

The other frustrating thing with Cheika's style is lack of a discernible pattern, and it seemed to create confusion in phase ball. After several phases we seemed to just go left - right - left - right with little structure. It was like probing, but when nothing was happening or we were going nowhere there was no reset so players seemed to not really know what to do. What resulted was holding the majority of possession but with not a lot of impact. Against England, I thought White, although not as effective as Phipps in terms of clearance speed, provided a bit more structure to the attack simply by working the same way rather than left - right - left - right.

This is why I was confused when people claimed that the third Bledisloe was using Tahs tactics - actually it was still based on the typical McKenzie tactics of same way phase ball and pump the short side. From there Link altered his game plans, but each game plan still had that same base set of structure. This is the base structure that I think the Wallabies were lacking a bit in the EOYT on phase ball.

The stuff I've outlined above is what I think Cheika needs to consider when implementing his running game plans at Test level. The players are generally better and Test defences of the top tier nations tend to be very organised, so I think a bit more structure needs to underline the attack.

To'omua is usually the bigger and better kicker. But was poor this year - I re-call numerous times he could not find touch off a penalty (against the AB's twice and with the Brumbies in the finals).

So maybe that is why Foley was preferred. Hopefully To'omua can get back his Mogo next year.

T

TOCC

hmm even without factoring in the chase, i'd say 80% of the All Blacks grubbers or chips find space, where for the Wallabies it would be closer to 60%..

'The chase' is part of the parcel, either the kick isn't getting communicated to the outside backs, they failed to anticipate it and are to slow/lazy to react.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree we don't need to revert to a kicking game , I just think we toss the ball back too far to the kicker when under pressure which seems to negate any meaningful chase from our guys . Sometimes its justified,but we don't seem to put the opposition under the kind of pressure that we seem to endure in return , or am I seeing things ...someone's probably got a stat on that . Our guys always seem to be challenged , I just don't think we do the same .... Someone with more knowledge on the kick and chase subject care to enlighten me ? Thanks .

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Our short kicking game always looks paniced when we have no options. The AB's are far more methodical with they short kick.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A few pages back I instigated a discussion around Hunt at #15, and a large part of my argument was the strength of his kicking came.

Fox Sports recently posted an article about Hunt (attached below) and this line made the hair on the back of my neck stand up:

"Hunt’s teammates were given a taste of his new skills when he launched a kick from inside his own 20m across field to find touch 5m from the opposing tryline."

Very good defender (both positionally and actual tackling ability), runs amazing lines (especially when joining the backline), reads the game well, calls plays, amazing under the high ball, very good acceleration, great ball skills, and what appears to be a 70m - 90m boot.

Fullback anyone?

Full Article: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/k.../story-e6frf4pu-1227163050908?from=public_rss

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If Hunt's defence at the back is better than Folau's (which I think it will be) he could definitely push Izzy to the wing, hopefully to play a roaming game like Ioane did. It'd certainly make for a more balanced back three, and offers more freedom to choose between AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Speight, JOC (James O'Connor), Horne, Tomane and whoever else on the other wing, depending on what the match will call for.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I see Hunt as the only person who could displace Folau at the back. It's a very exciting prospect, and would solve a lot of issues in our own half (if he lives up to the hype)

In my books Folau is better on the wing, and it would better utilise his aerial game.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The problem about Hunt are his injuries, he has had many injuries.

If he can stay away from injuries, he could be the replacement for Folau.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that he's a "replacement" for Folau, as that suggests that Folau needs replacing - he is still a superstar in my books.

To be clear, he's more of a complement to Folau than a supplement.

On an unrelated note, what do people think of O'Connor at #12? That's where I've always seen him and where I would have him play, but most rumblings seem to suggest that he'll be played on the Wing.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that he's a "replacement" for Folau, as that suggests that Folau needs replacing - he is still a superstar in my books.

To be clear, he's more of a complement to Folau than a supplement.

On an unrelated note, what do people think of O'Connor at #12? That's where I've always seen him and where I would have him play, but most rumblings seem to suggest that he'll be played on the Wing.

I meant the replacement for Folau after WC, because as we all know he won't continue in 2016. Europe or NRL are his destinations.

About JOC (James O'Connor), he's a winger IMO his best position

T

TOCC

Folau will sign a lucrative contract in Japan and be the first Wallaby to agree sign up to the new gap year project, thats my prediction.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I feared as much, but I am sort of cupping my ears and refusing to listen - I have hope yet.

Folau will sign a lucrative contract in Japan and be the first Wallaby to agree sign up to the new gap year project, thats my prediction.

It will be interesting to see how the sabbatical plan works out. The ARU - and the Super Rugby franchises for that matter - might be able to come up with some creative solutions (i.e. creating partnerships with European/Japanese clubs, strategically timed excursions for ARU players to overseas clubs that enable them to come back for the World Cup, etc.). That said, it is the ARU we're talking about, so it's not likely.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
About JOC (James O'Connor), he's a winger IMO his best position

What makes you say that? I'm interested in hearing more about O'Connor at Wing as I don't currently understand the rationale for it. Whilst he's fast, I am not sure he is fast enough for an internal Winger, and he's also not much of a finisher. He would struggle under the high ball, and whilst I accept that his boot is good, I don't think it justifies his selection over guys like Speight, Folau (assuming he moves to wing), et al.

Also, he offers too much as a playmaker/decision maker to be so far from the action . 5/8 is out of the question, he is terrible there (imo), but I think inside could be a real option.

For mine, he fits into the Tim Horan mould (though obviously not on the same level). I prefer my insides to be fast, agile gamebreaker types (e.g. a young Giteau) and O'Connor is exceptionally agile, has great acceleration and is lightning (for an Inside). When you combined his attacking ability with the consistency/reliability he offers, his good boot (good tactical kicker), strong defence and tactical nous I think you have a good option at #12.

Thoughts?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't have the defensive capabilities required to be a modern day inside centre.........

Wing is his best position by default from being unable to step up in any other position at test level.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
At Soup level, he should really play 10/12/15. Because his skillset is too good to pass up on the wing.

At Test level, he's not secure enough under the high ball for 15, not big enough for 12, and not a good enough playmaker for 10, so he plays on the wing. Simple.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't have the defensive capabilities required to be a modern day inside centre...

Wing is his best position by default from being unable to step up in any other position at test level.

Is his defence at inside really that bad? When was the last time he was given a go there? I don't think he's a bad defender - he's not as good as To'omua I concede, but I think he'd be up to defending at inside without too many issues.

At Soup level, he should really play 10/12/15. Because his skillset is too good to pass up on the wing.

At Test level, he's not secure enough under the high ball for 15, not big enough for 12, and not a good enough playmaker for 10, so he plays on the wing. Simple.

A lot of what you said is right, except for the part about him not being big enough. I really do not accept this argument that you have to be big to play inside, and even if that were true To'omua (and most of Australia's options) certainly aren't up for it. Size is overrated these days, especially at inside. Give O'Connor a go at inside with Kuridrani outside him and To'omua at 5/8 and I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.