• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'll be shocked if any of them make a squad.

It serves a few purposes.

Those players are still finding their feet at Super level, but have clearly got some decent potential. The confidence boost that even thinking you MIGHT have a shot in gold would be huge. A clear sign that they're on the right path, keeps them motivated.

Secondly, anyone in those positions might get a kick up the arse without ever even needing a raised eyebrow from Cheika.

Sends a message that being established doesn't mean anything now. Players IN the squad step it up to protect their place, players OUTSIDE the squad step it up and get a morale boost.

Very clever strategy, i'm really, really liking everythign i've heard about Cheika and what he values + how he gets his players firing.

The team of assistants is awesome as well, literally the only thing that could improve that group is Gandalf getting the forwards/set piece role. Unfortunately, his expertise was lost to both the Brumbies AND the Wallabies by the shortsightedness of the board who appointed co-coaches for the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Those players are still finding their feet at Super level, but have clearly got some decent potential. The confidence boost that even thinking you MIGHT have a shot in gold would be huge. A clear sign that they're on the right path, keeps them motivated.

Paul Alo-Emile has potential, that I'll give you, but he has signed to go overseas next year. Why would Cheika want to motivate him? If he's good enough on form to be included in the squad this year, sure go to it, but not on any argument that he has potential.

I just cannot see what potential Paddy Ryan has to play at Wallaby level.

Too early for Frisby imo.

Neville can't even get a start at the Rebels. How many locks are now in front of him?

Just a beat up imo.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sam Talakai
4. Luke Jones
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Scott Fardy
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Rob Horne
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Robbie Coleman

T

TOCC

1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sam Talakai
4. Luke Jones
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Scott Fardy
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Rob Horne
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Robbie Coleman

I think you are confusing this thread with the team of the round tread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
I just cannot see what potential Paddy Ryan has to play at Wallaby level..

How could you, when he's sat on his arse on the Tahs bench for his whole career, instead of going elsewhere for a start and developing his game?

The bloke should be a contender by this stage, but the Aussie system doesn't recognize our areas of natural weakness and attempt to get the most out of what we've got.

I'd way rather see any new money from TV deals used to keep and develop tight forwards, than throwing it at yet more league backs, no matter how talented.

Reactions: TSR

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
How could you, when he's sat on his arse on the Tahs bench for his whole career, instead of going elsewhere for a start and developing his game?

The bloke should be a contender by this stage, but the Aussie system doesn't recognize our areas of natural weakness and attempt to get the most out of what we've got.

I agree with the backs, but Ryan is the most useless scrummager in Australia. There are schoolboys that could best him in the tight. Bugger him off to Europe quick and spend the cash on solid young props.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
Props are built, not born. Maybe if Ryan had been mixing it up against the best super rugby has to offer instead of collecting splinters, he'd be a better scrummager.

Regardless, it's not about individuals. The problem is a system that treats those positions where we are almost always weak exactly the same as those positions where we are almost always strong.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Paddy could have upped sticks and gone to another franchise if he'd wanted to. The Tahs have had too many good props in front of him for him to be a regular starter. If he wants to be a contender for the Wallabies he needs to be playing more regularly.

ACT Waterboy

Stan Wickham (3)
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Scott Fardy
5. Sam Carter
6. Scott Higinbitham
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nick Phipps/White
10. Matt To'omua
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Lealifano
13. Kurindrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Folua

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Alo-Emiler
19. Lopeti Timani
20. Hooper
21. White/Phipps
22. Foley
23. Oconor

I think Australia's backrow depth warrants fardy to play second row

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I couldn't help but think down the track, Australian rugby can have a really solid Tight 5. The kids coming through now just need time and we can't afford to let them slip through the cracks.

Scott Sio (23)
Salesi Manu (24) - OS
Paul Alo-Emile (23) - OS Bound
Sam Talakai (23)
Tolu Latu (21)
Siliva Siliva (23)
Rory Arnold (22)
Adam Coleman (23)
Luke Jones (23)

Back on topic, I would love to see Chieka go with two big centres to change the dynamic of the team especially when they play sides like England, Wales, Nz with big midfields. We seem to lose game line off first phase more times than not, knowing Chieka's philosophy he will have a distributing 12 either To'omua or KB (Kurtley Beale). My Aus team come World Cup time.

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Fardy
6. Higginbotham
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Kuridrani
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. O'Connor
15. Folau

16. Moore
17. Robinson
18. PAE
19. Skelton
20. Pocock
21. Phipps
22. Beale
23. To'omua

ACT Waterboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Only 10 Brumbies in that starting side? Surely Joe Tomane, Butler / Vaea and Alexander are hard done by, and by shifting Fardy back to blindside you create room for Arnold too.

The Brumfolaus!

Sorry would you like the warabies who have played for years under deans and mckenzie with absolutely no success. Picked To'omua because i dont trust foley's game management or defence, maybe quade will be in the picture later and lelalifano because beale can't tackle.... a fundamental part of the game!!! I think horne/ocnonor/cummins are probably equal to speight (would love to see the badger return). Hooper may prove he is worth more than pocock, time will tell and palu is way past his prime. not sure which waratahs to pick seeing as their best player is south african.......

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I couldn't help but think down the track, Australian rugby can have a really solid Tight 5. The kids coming through now just need time and we can't afford to let them slip through the cracks.

Scott Sio (23)
Salesi Manu (24) - OS
Paul Alo-Emile (23) - OS Bound
Sam Talakai (23)
Tolu Latu (21)
Siliva Siliva (23)
Rory Arnold (22)
Adam Coleman (23)
Luke Jones (23)

Back on topic, I would love to see Chieka go with two big centres to change the dynamic of the team especially when they play sides like England, Wales, Nz with big midfields. We seem to lose game line off first phase more times than not, knowing Chieka's philosophy he will have a distributing 12 either To'omua or KB (Kurtley Beale). My Aus team come World Cup time.

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Fardy
6. Higginbotham
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Kuridrani
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. O'Connor
15. Folau

16. Moore
17. Robinson
18. PAE
19. Skelton
20. Pocock
21. Phipps
22. Beale
23. To'omua

Kuridrani at 12?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Kuridrani at 12?

Yep, it's been a hobby horse of Bob Dwyer's as well. I don't know that I agree with it as a concept. I'm of the belief that you need a distributor and a crasher in the centres and don't think that the combo of TK and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) offers that. Defensively it would be fantastic, as well as line bending capability. To fully take advantage of that, though, you have to bring the outside players into the game, as well as trailing support players (like our back row and athletic locks). I'd prefer To'omua and TK, because it offers the requisite defensive starch and the passing capability required.

Status
Not open for further replies.