• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

If you're going to play kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres you really need another playmaker in the back-line, typical at 15 but obviously Folau is in that position and he doesn't fill that role.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If you're going to play kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres you really need another playmaker in the back-line, typical at 15 but obviously Folau is in that position and he doesn't fill that role.
JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Absolutely. As Strewth says, JOC (James O'Connor) could be that other option. Bob's reply almost certainly would be that JOC (James O'Connor) or KB (Kurtley Beale) on the wing would be the second playmaker option and would point to Campo's passing ability when he was in charge of the Wallabies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bob's had a few questionable decisions in his articles for me. The obsession with a few players like PAE who haven't shown they are yet up to even starting at Super Rugby level and Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the midfield are some of the more interesting ones, for sure.

That midfield of Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be very effective in some games, but is so one dimensional that teams like the All Blacks would be able to read us all day. I don't see how a single second play maker at wing would work, they would need to be too involved to be an actual wing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bob's had a few questionable decisions in his articles for me. The obsession with a few players like PAE who haven't shown they are yet up to even starting at Super Rugby level and Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the midfield are some of the more interesting ones, for sure.

Those sort of opinions from Bob seem somewhat based on the amateur era where the Wallabies were more about assembling the side of your choice for a RWC for example and building for a tournament over a finite period of time.

To me, the Wallabies now days are a team in their own right and professionalism means that players who have been part of those structures for a significant period of time have an advantage over those that don't.

If you really wanted to build a Wallaby team around players like PAE who hasn't earned the starting spot at Super Rugby level and Kuridrani who is not familiar with 12, you'd need to be prepared to potentially go substantially backwards before going forwards.

In the professional game where each performance is important and retaining fan engagement critical, I just don't see how it is possible.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Those sort of opinions from Bob seem somewhat based on the amateur era where the Wallabies were more about assembling the side of your choice for a RWC for example and building for a tournament over a finite period of time.

To me, the Wallabies now days are a team in their own right and professionalism means that players who have been part of those structures for a significant period of time have an advantage over those that don't.

If you really wanted to build a Wallaby team around players like PAE who hasn't earned the starting spot at Super Rugby level and Kuridrani who is not familiar with 12, you'd need to be prepared to potentially go substantially backwards before going forwards.

In the professional game where each performance is important and retaining fan engagement critical, I just don't see how it is possible.
That's true to a large extent but it's also important to remember that in most years the Wallabies play 15 or so tests which Is almost a season of regular footy and different coaches have different game plans and see different things in various players that they can use. For mine, I'm not sure why you'd need to shift Tevita to inside, I think he's killing it at Super and test level, but it was always interesting to read Dwyers reasoning for selecting Kearns from second grade because Randwick could work with someone like Eddie Jones but at International level, Kearns had a more robust body for scrummaging etc. horses for courses can still be true as Super and Tests are still very different. Might is a good example, and there are plenty of others who haven't transferred that form to test level. Never really seen it before but I thought PAE was a rock on the weekend. However. I also think Alexander has been outstanding in the scrums this year. In saying that I think Holmes has a great body shape and excellent technique for a test prop, but he hasn't had a crack for ages, so I'm fucked if I know what these blokes are thinking sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
cheika is apparently getting together with 25 players this weekend in preparation for the RWC. I wonder who is in that group?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Makes perfect sense then. Everyone fly up to Brisbane and meet for a few hours at Suncorp. I don't think Cheika has any other option but to have these gatherings this year with time being so tight.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
25 seems like a small number to be drawing from all the franchises, perhaps this is just another of the meetings he's been having with players after derbies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Knowing Cheika, it wouldn't surprise me. Pretty sure Cooper's main job on the EOYT was serving Foley's drinks.

Either he should have swapped arms more often or carried more drinks on the tray. That may have strengthened the muscles around his collar bone.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It's early season, but at the moment, on form I'd have Sio in front of Slipper, his put a pasting on the Reds, and the Chiefs. If he keeps this form to test season it be hard not to give him the gig.. and personally if his injury free he'll do it..

What Slipper does do however, is put his game up a gear when he's wearing the gold. Good scrummager, and very mobile around the field. Its like he and Hooper could almost be centres.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What Slipper does do however, is put his game up a gear when he's wearing the gold. Good scrummager, and very mobile around the field. Its like he and Hooper could almost be centres.

Would be good to see Slipper and Sio go head to head over about 25m. Both have a pretty good turn of speed for big men, but I think Sio is more explosive off the mark.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

If Samuela Kerevi keeps impressing with his form, straight running, and power, he could be a shock selection to partner Kurindrani in the centres. Just saying:

Height: 186cm
Weight: 108kg

Status
Not open for further replies.