• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Do people think we should be tailoring our team depending on the opposition, (especially in the forwards) or staying with the same team throughout.

Especially in our forward pack I can see a lot of argument for playing certain players against certain teams for example against the welsh I would play hooper, higgers etc and be a little more free flowing as opposed to say England where I would go with pockcock, McCalman and try to match them in tight and let our superior back line wear theirs down

I tend to take the view that we try and build a game plan and match day 23 to execute that plan, with the intention that make it so bullet proof that other teams just can't live with it. In other words, they know what's coming but just can't do anything to stop it. With that said, we're not always going to be able to be so imposing and will have to be pragmatic enough to have some different combinations available to combat their strengths or exploit a notable weakness.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the Oz, Butler will be in next weekend's Wallaby camp...........

Arnold and Coleman won't.............

Mumm won't be eligible for the RWC, and Cheika wasn't responsible for his recruitment at the Tahs for next year.............

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Good idea from Cheika, rewarding the hardest working players first. However I'd struggle to find Butler a spot in the 23 but I certainly agree with Cheika recognising and rewarding his efforts.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good idea from Cheika, rewarding the hardest working players first. However I'd struggle to find Butler a spot in the 23 but I certainly agree with Cheika recognising and rewarding his efforts.

The World Cup is not about the optimal 23, of course, that's why this is a slightly stupid topic.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ somewhat agree, these are 31 (? still haven't seen anything official) man squads being picked to play ideally 7 matches in roughly a month. Some seriously good players are going to miss out simply because they aren't versatile enough & some average players are going to make it because they are...........

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

It's a very smart move to fill the squad with the hardest working and most teachable players you can get.

Either they surprise you and make the squad/team, or they provide the example and mindset you want the whole squad to develop.

Group mentality is 75% of the battle.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
However Fairfax is saying Butler is not in the preliminary squad, but that may be revised............

I'm unsure how we can fill a 50-51 man squad without incorporating some of the form locks/backrowers?

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
From Wayne Smith's article in the Australian:
It may be a tournament too soon for them but Wallabies coach Michael Cheika admits he is excited by the prospect of fielding the biggest second-row pairing in Australian rugby history in this year’s World Cup if Rory Arnold and Adam Coleman keep progressing at their current rate.
Neither player will feature in the 51-strong, four-day Wallabies assembly in Brisbane starting on Saturday but Cheika indicated yesterday Arnold, the new Brumbies lock, would certainly figure in the next World Cup camp, as would Coleman if he can replicate his outstanding game for the Western Force against the Bulls in Pretoria last weekend.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
It also says this about Jarrad Butler:
Cheika said that although the weekend’s assembly would be confined to players he chose at the start of the season, he intended making changes based on current form, with Brumbies flanker Jarrad Butler one new player likely to be brought in.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Why would he leave out Coleman and Arnold if they are in the selection frame? Is it due to their respective teams' travel plans?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would he leave out Coleman and Arnold if they are in the selection frame? Is it due to their respective teams' travel plans?

I'm guessing most of the current 50 have been spoken to at some point previously and some arrangements have already been made.

It seems this is based on a list that existed at the start of the season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rough guesses on a list:

Props: Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Robinson, Sio, Weeks, Ryan, Holmes, Smith, Cowan, Faulkner (10)
Hookers: Moore, TPN, Charles, Fainga'a, Hanson, Latu (6)
Locks: Simmons, Carter, Horwill, Skelton, Jones, Neville, Dennis (7)
Backrow: Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Higginbotham, McCalman, Hodgson, Palu, McMahon, Butler, Gill (10)
Halfbacks: Phipps, White, Genia (3)
Fly halves: Foley, Cooper (2)
Centres: To'omua, Kuridrani, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Godwin, Leali'ifano (6)
Wing: Cummins, Speight, Horne, Tomane, Naiyaravoro (5)
Fullback: Folau, JOC (James O'Connor) (2)

Voila! 51 names.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Neither player will feature in the 51-strong, four-day Wallabies assembly in Brisbane starting on Saturday but Cheika indicated yesterday Arnold, the new Brumbies lock, would certainly figure in the next World Cup camp, as would Coleman if he can replicate his outstanding game for the Western Force against the Bulls in Pretoria last weekend.

How do they do this?

With Cheika & the Tahs are playing Saturday Night and the Force in SA

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought this had been moved to the Easter weekend.

The Tahs and Force have a bye, Rebels host Reds in Melbourne on the Friday night and the Brumbies are in Canberra on the Saturday night.

Could assemble everyone but the Brumbies on the Saturday and they could join on the Sunday.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's next Saturday. Tahs and Force have the bye. Reds & Rebels on Friday night. Only Brumbies on Saturday. Best possible time.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
:)
... "Cheika indicated yesterday Arnold, the new Brumbies lock, would certainly figure in the next World Cup camp, as would Coleman if he can replicate his outstanding game for the Western Force against the Bulls in Pretoria last weekend.

Shit Wayne - Arnold and Coleman won't have to wait that long, surely

- do you mean the 2019 RWC or the next camp in readiness for RWC 2015:)

Status
Not open for further replies.