• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Apart from Kepu there's good reasons not to select every Tighthead. of the starters:

Alexander: Great rugby player, shit prop
Faulkner: Actually a loosehead, crap form
Holmes: Too old, pot plant
Weeks: Journeyman, Pot plant

and the reserves

PAE: Ma'afu 2.0
Ryan: Good Rugby player, shit prop
R Smith: Decent rugby player, shit prop
Talakai: first year of prof rugby
Hoskins: too young, shit form

Of course, this is only painting them in a very negative light.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Alexander has had plenty of good scrums at Super level, and while Holmes is good around the park that is Alexander's advantage. I can't say that I can remember how Holmes performed at test level given it's been so long - can anyone fill me in?

My point is really that although Alexander has generally copped much of the blame for our scrum problems it doesn't mean at all that the others would outperform him. He can be the 2nd best we have and still not be quite good enough. Not saying it's the case though, I haven't paid much attention to the tightheads this year as I need the time for deep therapy following Reds games.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Greg Holmes getting a push over try against a pretty strong Lions' scrum deserves a mention. I'd say he's worth a look this season.

In terms of test experience and rating as a top line scrum how did the Lions tight five rate? Lets examine Holmes performance in the light of who he performed against. Don't get me wrong I have always been a fan of Holmes, and not of Alexander so much, but it is a baseless call to say he has more form.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
In terms of test experience and rating as a top line scrum how did the Lions tight five rate? Lets examine Holmes performance in the light of who he performed against. Don't get me wrong I have always been a fan of Holmes, and not of Alexander so much, but it is a baseless call to say he has more form.

Well I certainly never said anything about Holmes having more form than Alexander, or anyone other player for that matter. I merely said he's worth a look this season.

As Highlander35 was saying, the options are pretty shithouse, which ever way we go. Holmes is probably no worse than the rest of TH's in the "maybe" box.

Also just because the Lions have no big name props in the front row, doesn't mean they haven't been in impressive form scrum wise. i dont know how many of their games you've watched but they pasted the Crusaders scrum, which is usually a decent benchmark. But yes I agree he needs more of the same for the rest of the season if he wants to stand out from the rest of the THPs.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That is a huge blow to have Dean Benton pull out.

Do they need an S&C coach at the World Cup? Don't imagine they would be doing much in the way of weights or fitness.

Genuine question. I've always wondered what the Wallaby S&C guy actually does, other than make sure the Super teams are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I would say they (Lions) pasted the Crusaders scrum because the ref actually made Crocket pack straight. A rarity. But the Lions have been fairly consistent so I'm not deriding them.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Not unprecedented in the Wallabies front row to have reserve front rowers on the bench with Hanson/Saia there over the last couple of years. Front row is always interesting because of the dynamics or international rugby compared with Super Rugby - in the same way many Super Rugby locks are considered test blindsides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do they need an S&C coach at the World Cup? Don't imagine they would be doing much in the way of weights or fitness.

Genuine question. I've always wondered what the Wallaby S&C guy actually does, other than make sure the Super teams are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Read up on Adam Beard and Wales.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Apart from Kepu there's good reasons not to select every Tighthead. of the starters:

Alexander: Great rugby player, shit prop
Faulkner: Actually a loosehead, crap form
Holmes: Too old, pot plant
Weeks: Journeyman, Pot plant

and the reserves

PAE: Ma'afu 2.0
Ryan: Good Rugby player, shit prop
R Smith: Decent rugby player, shit prop
Talakai: first year of prof rugby
Hoskins: too young, shit form

Of course, this is only painting them in a very negative light.

What are you smoking?

absolute bollocks.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
cqt63li4y604o9k3nzore4i7q.500x350x10.gif

I'm not the only one who thinks so:

Ben A's scrummaging at Super level has never been the problem. Every year I watch him at Super Level and hope that he can transfer that form to the test arena. Why doesn't it happen? Serious question. Like others I hold reservations because of the history, though there is no doubt on form he is second THP behind Kepu.

Alexander has had plenty of chances at test level and isn't a good enough scrummager for mine.

He's had way too many caps for my liking and I'm a Brumbies supporter. Kepu is way ahead of him and I'd prefer a rookie to be given a shot for the bench spot.

I don't know what to do for a reserve THP, Alexander hasn't been up to scratch in Test matches but no one has stuck their hand up and said pick me.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not the only one who thinks so:

I agree with Alexander, he deserves all the criticism he can get. I don't agree with White and Mogg. They are still very fresh on the Test scene and have potential. White could be a Test half-back soon, Mogg still a lot or work to do but he has all the skills to be a complete fullback.

Compare this to Cooper who was a poor Test players for a couple of year before he hit his straps.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looks like Weeks is out for 6-8 weeks, should give PAE a decent chance to show what he's got. He'll face slipper twice aswell as Sio and Robinson once and depending on how he and Laurie's recovery go he may get to start against the sharks and stormers which will be a big opportunity to press his claims. The return game against slipper might be the most important though, see what happens against an experienced loosehead whose already had a good look at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.