• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I'm not sure how this Simmons v Fardy debate got started or why we're even discussing it.....

But there's some silly remarks being thrown out there....

it never was a Fardy vs Simmons debate
I would suggest the silly remarks are the fictitious remarks about players tackling referees...

Reactions: BDA

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
some interesting analysis of Fardy v McMahon tonight pn Rugby HQ.

Looking at backrow balance, you could really change things up depending on your no.7

6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu

6. McMahon
7. Pocock
8. Palu

Still, I'm not sure I'm sold on havign a light weight no.6 for reasons I've already articulated (mostly scrum orientated)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Flankers push in the scrum but having a 10kg weight difference is pretty minimal in terms of their push. What's more important is the angles they push at and their stability holding the locks tight.

That second backrow would get killed in the line out especially with Palu at 8.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Looking at backrow balance, you could really change things up depending on your no.7

6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu

6. McMahon
7. Pocock
8. Palu

Still, I'm not sure I'm sold on havign a light weight no.6 for reasons I've already articulated (mostly scrum orientated)

Qwerty they will push more that the top 3 though because even the biggest supporter of Hooper couldn't argue that his scrum work is lazy.

An interesting point. Did anyone watch that classic Bledisloe last night? It took all of 20 seconds for the whistle to be blown for a scrum and for it to be packed and ball out on average. The scrums were still a contest but the game was so much better for it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There really is no back-up to Skelton though that will offer the same balance.

Not so sure of this. Skelton was used in the Wallabies last year when it was quite clear that he didn't jump in the lineout or pack effectively in the scrum. With both Arnold and Coleman, we have two up and coming locks who are better now that Skelton was last year at lineout and scrum, and who both show an ability to truck the ball up, perhaps not yet as good as Skelton but certainly as good as or better than either Simmons or Carter. So I'd say we're in a better place for locks now than we were this time last year. That goes double as Skelton is now performing his role in the areas he was previously deficient.

I feel a bit sorry for Jones being overtaken imo, but then I'd prefer to see him as backup to Fardy as 4/6 cover.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
An interesting point. Did anyone watch that classic Bledisloe last night? It took all of 20 seconds for the the whistle to be blown for a scrum and for it to be packed and ball out on average. The scrums were still a contest but the game was so much better for it.

This.

I have been enjoying watching the 'classic' match they play every Thursday night. I really wish we could go back to this type of scrumming, a great contest with much much less collapsing and much less technical penalties at the scrum. I love a good scrum contest, but the way that aspect of the game has developed is a real blight on our game. But I guess this is a discussion for another thread

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not so sure of this. Skelton was used in the Wallabies last year when it was quite clear that he didn't jump in the lineout or pack effectively in the scrum. With both Arnold and Coleman, we have two up and coming locks who are better now that Skelton was last year at lineout and scrum, and who both show an ability to truck the ball up, perhaps not yet as good as Skelton but certainly as good as or better than either Simmons or Carter. So I'd say we're in a better place for locks now than we were this time last year. That goes double as Skelton is now performing his role in the areas he was previously deficient.

I feel a bit sorry for Jones being overtaken imo, but then I'd prefer to see him as backup to Fardy as 4/6 cover.

Yes Arnold and Coleman are performing at super xv level. But they are still so fresh, it would be a tough call to inject them straight into Test rugby. They are a year or two away I think.

If they come into the squad now I'm thinking it will be a repeat of when Jones and Douglas first played Test rugby - pretty average.

Hope I'm proven wrong.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Jones hasn't been overtaken, certainly not by Arnold or Coleman. I refer to the topic of this thread, if there's one that's looking at the make up of the Wallabies beyond RWC2015 then that's the correct one for Arnold and Coleman to be discussed.

I'd be interested to see from a stats man how Jones stacks up so far this Super season, my hunch would be that he may not be the standout performer in any particular criteria, but would be near the top across a range of them. I'd concur that he's probably more a 6 who can cover for lock, but more a lock option than Fardy.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)

6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu

6. McMahon
7. Pocock
8. Palu

Yeah but they only compared McMahon vs Fardy. Look at Higgers stats for the same categories, add his line out prowess, bulk and experience. He'd do a better job in the same role

6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. Palu or Big Dog

6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu or Big Dog

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If this was my pack

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Skelton
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Ma'afu
19. Coleman
20. Higginbotham
21. Pocock

- I'd put Coleman on for Skelton and they both scrummage at TH
- Pocock comes on for Fardy same time Higginbotham replaces Palu
- I rate McCalman better than Higgers but Higgers in necessary in the lineout to combat deficiencies of a two openside backrow
- Hooper is better suited to start than Pocock, Fardy is our best breakdown player and will need Hooper's ball running for the full 80

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd be pretty happy with that pack (although personally I'd go with something slightly different).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It'll be very interesting to see how Cheika approaches the Rugby Championship. Obviously with so little time before the WC kicks off, you want to settle on your best team pretty quickly and get as much consistency as possible. At the same time, Cheika needs to somehow address the following issues:-

1. Giving test experience to our reserve THPs.
2. Trying out 1 or more lock or no.6.
3. Giving Cooper a run.

1. Even if Alexander is taken to England, I think we're still better off to plan for a different TH on the bench and use Alexander as an injury back-up at best. For my money Greg Holmes should be our bench THP during most of the rugby championship, and possibly be given a start at some stage (resting Kepu for 1 game).

2. It remains to be seen whether Horwill is still in the selection frame, but I'm assuming Cheika is at least considering trying out 1 lock in the RC and seeing how they fair. I'd put Coleman on the bench for maybe 2 of our 4 games.

I'd also consider resting Fardy for one game and giving Timani a start. The impression I get from Timani is that he'll look right at home at test level. He loves hard work and physicality.

3. Depending on Cooper's fitness/form situation. I'd like to see him get at least one game starting at 10. probably the last games of the RC against Argentina. If you don't start him any one of those games, you might as well leave him out of the WC squad because he's not going to have enough quality rugby under his belt to be useful.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika made some comment recently about some of the walk up starters for the RWC squad missing some of the games in the Rugby Championship (or getting moved to the bench) so some of the reserves and fringe players can be tested.

It's a bit of a tightrope to walk in terms of having very limited time to prepare our best team but also realising that a RWC tilt requires the whole squad to contribute and we need to make sure the players picked have some experience and will add value.

As you've identified, lock and reserve THP are the two areas we need to do some fact finding.

The Rugby Championship is probably also the ideal time to determine whether Pocock and Hooper can effectively play in the same matchday 23.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah agree with the two comments above. Play your best team (at that specific moment in time) against the kiwis (twice) and the boks (once) with the exceptions of one or two players, then play another one or two who are knocking on the door vs the Argies

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am still concerned about starting Skelton, his lineout work is not up to it and picking him means you need the 8 & 6 to be jumping options (we need three effective catching options)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I am still concerned about starting Skelton, his lineout work is not up to it and picking him means you need the 8 & 6 to be jumping options (we need three effective catching options)

At first I was concerned too. But I'm pencilling Fardy into 6. So that's one good jumper there. Then at 8 you got either Palu who is okay, or McCalman who is okay, or Higgers who is good. Not ideal but it's manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.