• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agree, in all likelihood it is a bunch of reasons. I just don't like people blaming RA or Cheika every time a players goes OS.

My understanding was that Fardy was not offered an RA/ARU top up after having one for a long time. A sure sign that he was no longer required.
Either way it reinforces the need for central contracting.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Cheika stays with Johnson DOR nothing much changes except that RA have an extra salary to cover.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
The bloke has never had a bad performance for Australia and can kick goals from anywhere inside 60 m. He's played 10,11,12,13,14 and filled in at 15.
I think you are selling him short.
What you described is a bench player. Someone that can cover a multitude of positions. In the run on team, I want absolutely the best person in each position. Otherwise we’re settling for mediocrity yet again.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hodge has to commit to a position if he's ever going to nail down a regular starting spot with the Wallabies. His versatility is great when he's already in the matchday 23, but it doesn't help him get there.

The player he most reminds me of is Ruan Combrinck. He would probably be a fullback if he had better defensive positioning, but his other skills translate to wing play really well. He has some basic playmaking skills and is a good long-range goalkicking option. He should be trying to settle on the wing in my opinion.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe they want to avoid lineouts?
Well, yeah, I guess - if you keep handing up possession and field position to your opposition then you’ll probably take some focus off your line out.

Personally I’d like them to look for an alternate solution.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodge has to commit to a position if he's ever going to nail down a regular starting spot with the Wallabies. His versatility is great when he's already in the matchday 23, but it doesn't help him get there.

The player he most reminds me of is Ruan Combrinck. He would probably be a fullback if he had better defensive positioning, but his other skills translate to wing play really well. He has some basic playmaking skills and is a good long-range goalkicking option. He should be trying to settle on the wing in my opinion.
Back 3 is his best area, maybe fullback will end up being his best spot. Not his fault that he has been played everywhere. He’s probably the most consistent Wallaby back alongside DHP. I wonder where he slots in for the Rebels next year?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotty J. will be used to assess the assistants I reckon - to see who is a chance of staying on, or who would be beneficial to be redistributed to states after 2019.

Johnson will be looking for a new team most likely, and I'm thinking that guys like Wisemantel and Taylor will be at the top of the list.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Papers have the assistant coaches under pressure but Grey isn't mentioned which is surprising

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ooms-in-wallabies-set-up-20181214-p50mel.html

I understand Raiwalui and Larkham but if you are planning to play a tournament you want your defense water tight, it isn't and there is no trust

Tom seems to be making assumptions there - it says that 'Larkham's name was thrown up as a potential change that Cheika was prepared to make'. Could it be that Larkham moves to defence?

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fuck me it's tiresome listening to people say this with absolutely NO answers as to who, who and who.

The only other option is Pocock and he was no better or worse a captain in his chances at the gig. Maybe Coleman? but his position should in the team should be in question, given our diabolical lineout.

Jake White seems to be the only available coach and he's a pretty bang average outcome for what would ultimately be a multi-million dollar investment.

And flyhalf is the worst of all. Everyone called for Beale, he sucked. Everyone called for To'omua, he sucked.

I swear people willfully ignore the fact that we dont have options just so they can have a good ol' whine.

Cheika’s hasn’t built players in key positions to have choices... he just ran with the Waratahs lads he knows...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cheika’s hasn’t built players in key positions to have choices. he just ran with the Waratahs lads he knows.
' built players'

What does this meeean? Who builds players? Was BB built in a lab or something?

And he has given the only other playmaker around (Quade) plenty of chances and clearly likes him. The only reason hes not around now is because he didn't play Super Rugby this year.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
' built players'

What does this meeean? Who builds players? Was BB built in a lab or something?

And he has given the only other playmaker around (Quade) plenty of chances and clearly likes him. The only reason hes not around now is because he didn't play Super Rugby this year.

Try thinking in the lines of a coach Building international players... not the CSIRO labs...

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Best Scott Johnson story. 2001 Lions tour NSW Country v B&I Lions in Coffs Harbour a few days before the first test in Brisbane. NSW Country management get a call from the ARU and Scott Johnson turns up on the day to be the waterboy. NSW Country gave him a shirt and he spent most of his time deciphering the Lions lineout calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.