• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yet the code continues to grow in Australia.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the A-League. Its ratings are worse than Super Rugby, crowds minus the derbies are equal or worse than Super Rugby and competition as a whole has only developed a handful of players worthy of tying up the previous generations boots in terms of quality.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This has absolutely nothing to do with the A-League. Its ratings are worse than Super Rugby, crowds minus the derbies are equal or worse than Super Rugby and competition as a whole has only developed a handful of players worthy of tying up the previous generations boots in terms of quality.
One, as far as i can tell. Mooy.

Rogic is decent going forward with no finish. Is otherwise lazy and essentially an average luxury player. I personally wouldnt even play him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
One, as far as i can tell. Mooy.

Rogic is decent going forward with no finish. Is otherwise lazy and essentially an average luxury player. I personally wouldnt even play him.

Ryan, Rogic, Mooy, Sainsbury, Kruse and Jedinak are the first names to come to my mind, that made their start in the A-League, it's not much in almost 15 years. I like football and enjoy watching the odd a-league game, but also don't want to imagine the league to be what it isn't. I think most football fans recognize this as well and understand the league isn't producing the quality of players it was intended to. We don't want rugby to turn into this, especially without the grassroots and established support soccer receives, that it can survive without it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The bottom half of the teams are worse, but the top half are equal or much better.........

The Victory's lowest crowd being much higher than most of our teams tops crowds, but obviously in Melbourne the A League's profile is much, much, much, much bigger than Super Rugby which is completely non-existent.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe we should. What we should not do is to continue what we have been doing.

All you’re doing is throwing shit at a wall and hoping something sticks

It’s not very well thought out and the potential negatives far and away outweighs the potential positives

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
All you’re doing is throwing shit at a wall and hoping something sticks

It’s not very well thought out and the potential negatives far and away outweighs the potential positives
No I’m not and in my opinion, no they do not. I am not alone thinking that dropping the Giteau law is a good idea. Several prominent rugby advocates are suggesting it. It’s going to happen regardless of what you or I think. It’s just when it happens.
Stoutly defending the policies that are currently in place with rugby in Australia is easy and just adding weight to a sinking ship.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No I’m not and in my opinion, no they do not. I am not alone thinking that dropping the Giteau law is a good idea. Several prominent rugby advocates are suggesting it. It’s going to happen regardless of what you or I think. It’s just when it happens.
Stoutly defending the policies that are currently in place with rugby in Australia is easy and just adding weight to a sinking ship.
Maybe, but i think in this instance the policy is preventing the ship from sinking faster.

I suppose if they do change selection policies we'll soon find out who was right eh?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ryan, Rogic, Mooy, Sainsbury, Kruse and Jedinak are the first names to come to my mind, that made their start in the A-League, it's not much in almost 15 years. I like football and enjoy watching the odd a-league game, but also don't want to imagine the league to be what it isn't. I think most football fans recognize this as well and understand the league isn't producing the quality of players it was intended to. We don't want rugby to turn into this, especially without the grassroots and established support soccer receives, that it can survive without it.
I think, in this, Super Rugby and the A-League are very, very similar.

Both completely neglect the demographics most likely to produce talented players. For Super Rugby it's more or less lower socio-economic areas (Western Sydney). For the A-League it's the European ethnicity's that domestic clubs used to be based around. Melbourne, as an example, used to churn out great Croatian players and it had a predominantly Croatian fanbase. They produced our best ever striker, of Croatian descent (if you don't consider Timmy as a Striker). The A-League came along and washed all this away.

Anyway, back to rugby i suppose.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Even if you did away with the Giteau rule, you could never select more than a couple of overseas based players without causing yourself massive issues.

They're not available through the year for in season camps and they are only able to join the squad for a much shorter window than the Wallabies are actually in camp preparing for a test. You then have the issue where To'omua and TPN had to fly back to the UK to fulfil their club commitments in the bye week of the Rugby Championship.

That situation is workable for a couple of players but would be diabolical if you tried to do it with half your team.

You can't really compare it to soccer because every country works in that way. Players are spread all over the world and it is part and parcel of the international game that whole teams reconvene for national duties in a short window. Rugby doesn't work that way and every major country we compete with have the vast majority or all of their players available for all the time they have as a team to prepare for a test match.

Where it might be beneficial would be something like a RWC where you do have longer preparation times and there aren't club commitments to juggle. You could conceivably call in more overseas based players without disruption.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Even if you did away with the Giteau rule, you could never select more than a couple of overseas based players without causing yourself massive issues.

They're not available through the year for in season camps and they are only able to join the squad for a much shorter window than the Wallabies are actually in camp preparing for a test. You then have the issue where To'omua and TPN had to fly back to the UK to fulfil their club commitments in the bye week of the Rugby Championship.

Yep......... with the exception of the last RWC, have we really benefited at all from selecting overseas based players?

I'm all for broadening the eligibility for overseas players, but those selections should only be carried out in RWC years and emergency situations, and preference always given to Australian based players.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We have players go overseas which opens up places in Super Rugby for more players. The same ones playing NRC that cannot get a Super Rugby contract right now. With 4 franchises now the number of contracts is severely limited. The current setup discourages potential Wallabies from even pursuing the path from junior rugby and pushes out those on the cusp, like Rory Arnold, Liam Gill, Will Skelton, Nic White and others.
There will not be a mass exodus as the demand is not there. There could be some short term drop in local provincial rugby but I doubt it. We could also open up our local rugby to foreign players a bit more to offset that.
That’s my point of view and that of quite a few more informed rugby insiders. Not all will agree.

RA and the ARU before them are terrified of losing their product. They have been defensive rather than proactive. Times are a changing.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
We have players go overseas which opens up places in Super Rugby for more players. The same ones playing NRC that cannot get a Super Rugby contract right now. With 4 franchises now the number of contracts is severely limited. The current setup discourages potential Wallabies from even pursuing the path from junior rugby and pushes out those on the cusp, like Rory Arnold, Liam Gill, Will Skelton, Nic White and others.
There will not be a mass exodus as the demand is not there. There could be some short term drop in local provincial rugby but I doubt it. We could also open up our local rugby to foreign players a bit more to offset that.
That’s my point of view and that of quite a few more informed rugby insiders. Not all will agree.

RA and the ARU before them are terrified of losing their product. They have been defensive rather than proactive. Times are a changing.
It’s going to be interesting to see if getting the franchises working together for the betterment of Australian rugby, a la the Irish. This could only work if all players are in the Super Rugby system

Status
Not open for further replies.