• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Baring Injury, I think the tight 5 spots are more or less locked in with the 6 Front Rowers + TPN & Ala'alatoa, & the three locks + Arnold.

Backrow is a little less clear. If Tui continues on from yesterday he fills the 6 role nicely, but Samu, Timu, Hanigan, McMahon &, possibly, Dempsey will fight it out for the back up roles. Anyone outside that group would have to play the house down I think.

Outside backs - incumbents are in (including Hodge). I reckon we’ll see TK given a chance in the Rugby Championship - he’s been too reliable in the past to be discarded. This is one spot where I think a newcomer will get a chance - either Maddocks, Banks or Perese.

Which leaves the halves. I’d like to see Gordon kept in the mix. I don’t think Powell should be scratched on yesterday’s performance (plenty in the squad have had far more leniency shown than that) but the reality is Genia is 1, Phipps is 2 and one of the others is going to have to play the house down in super rugby + whatever chances they get off the bench.

Finally - 10. Gee it hard to know what to do. Stewart looks (to me) the only possible backup currently playing super rugby (outside Hodge - and I just can’t get comfortable with him being any more than a bench emergency option for 10). Including Stewart at this time seems ridiculously premature, but who else? Personally I would like to see Stewart named in the squad at least.

Edit : by ‘squad’ I mean this year’s Rugby Champs squad. From there hopefully he will earn a spot in the WC squad.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^^^
Agree with all of that. Really liked the look of Tui last night. I thought Kerevi had his best game in attack last night all series and his defence has come a long way as well although we'll have to see how he goes against NZ and the rejuvenated Boks. Best tight five depth we've had for a very long time. Tom Robertson silently put to bed any doubters about his scrummaging and work around the park despite being "small" which probably puts the final piece in the puzzle for the front row. Would like to see one of those three wingers given a go but Koroibete and DHP have been excellent.

Think we're starting to look pretty good overall.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Robertson has really justified the faith.

I must admit, I thought they may have stuffed him moving from TH, where he seemed to be doing very well. But he has now found his groove. Very happy to be talking so positively about our front row stocks.

Will be interesting if Hanigan comes through the same way. I just don't feel he was ready last year but, having said that, once Cheika decided to move on from a couple of players there really weren't many other options. What I like about Hanigan is he does have a great motor and he does bring genuine 'in your face' attitude. Give him a bit more bulk and improve his technique and maybe he'll be everything we want in a 6 (with the benefit of about an extra dozen tests experience than he might otherwise have).

In the outside backs, being a Queenslander I would really love to see Perese get another crack. But at this stage Banks is the one who, to me, really looks like he could go in with it.

On a different not - is it just me or does DHP even run like Ben Smith.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hanigan, mate, Hanigan.

Good to see a Reds fan who is able to see the value in players from other states. As a Tahs man, I am pretty sure that Tui is the future, but Hanigan might end up as a great finisher, if he does bulk up a bit, could play 4,5, or 6. So could Tui of course, so maybe we can put them both in our best 23 at the RWC.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hanigan, mate, Hanigan.

Good to see a Reds fan who is able to see the value in players from other states. As a Tahs man, I am pretty sure that Tui is the future, but Hanigan might end up as a great finisher, if he does bulk up a bit, could play 4,5, or 6. So could Tui of course, so maybe we can put them both in our best 23 at the RWC.

Yeah, I agree re Tui - looks the goods with plenty of scope to get even better. Hanigan, I think, will get better over time. He has a good motor (which is a good start) and has showed more grunt this year for the Tahs, so the trajectory is OK. Sure, he was thrown in to Tests too early, but I'm optimistic about where he might get over the next year or two. And with some of the other backrow options coming to the fore, good to see competition for spots, i.e. depth.
Pocock, Hooper, McMahon, Timu, Tui, Valetini, Samu, Philip, Hanigan, Dempsey (hopefully), Holloway (maybe), Naisarani............I'm sure I forgot some too.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In the outside backs, TK will need to show he has rejuvenated after this year's fairly poor efforts to maintain his spot. I think Rona might displace him as the preferred or backup No 13, depending on where Kerevi plays in the lead up to the RWC. I still think Kerevi looks to be a better No 12 than No 13. TK is reminding me of Mortlock in his last couple of years atm.

We have a No 10 available right now who plays like a proper No 10 in managing the attack, shows composure under pressure and has more maturity than Stewart or Mason etc.His name? Andrew Deegan. It is imperative that we get a proper No 10, not a makeshift No 12 or versatile outside back replacement, into the squad asap with a view to having him available and ready to go come RWC time. Andrew Deegan is that man.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, I agree re Tui - looks the goods with plenty of scope to get even better. Hanigan, I think, will get better over time. He has a good motor (which is a good start) and has showed more grunt this year for the Tahs, so the trajectory is OK. Sure, he was thrown in to Tests too early, but I'm optimistic about where he might get over the next year or two. And with some of the other backrow options coming to the fore, good to see competition for spots, i.e. depth.
Pocock, Hooper, McMahon, Timu, Tui, Valetini, Samu, Philip, Hanigan, Dempsey (hopefully), Holloway (maybe), Naisarani....I'm sure I forgot some too.

Fitting 12 into 3 spots is ample.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tui's performance in the third game could make it quite difficult for Caleb Timu to get another shot anytime soon.

If all healthy, Hooper, Pocock and Tui will start with Samu on the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pocock, Hooper, McMahon, Timu, Tui, Valetini, Samu, Philip, Hanigan, Dempsey (hopefully), Holloway (maybe), Naisarani....I'm sure I forgot some too.
Yeah geez, does McMahon start if he comes back?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tui's performance in the third game could make it quite difficult for Caleb Timu to get another shot anytime soon.

If all healthy, Hooper, Pocock and Tui will start with Samu on the bench.
No sure on that. I agree Timu didn’t grasp his opportunity with both hands, but he was fine in game 1. His performance in game 2 was apparently impacted by injury so I’m not sure how much that will count against him. Despite Tui playing well the point of difference for Timu is his ball skills. He produced a couple of nice touches which I am not sure we get out of any of the other contenders. I’d like to see him given another shot in the RC. Our line out actually functioned fine with him out there and that was the biggest point of concern (well, there were some issues with the throw, but none with getting our jumpers into space).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"He was fine in game 1" isn't enough though in my opinion when Tui played bloody well starting and Samu has been good off the bench each time.

I wouldn't be benching Tui and starting Timu again in a hurry.

I also highly doubt we will see an end to the Pooper. Hooper will come back in to the starting side and Pocock will play 8. There's great balance there with Tui.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hooper's fitness might have a bearing on the backrow at the beginning of the RC. Is his injury a hammy, and how long will he likely be out?

Injuries will undoubtedly then contiue to play a role in the backrow makeup. I can see all of Samu , Timu, McMahon and Dempsey being called upon in the lead up to the RWC. I just don't think Hanigan offers as much as any of these in the back row. He must be destined for lock coverage I would think. And I also think the three tests v Ireland have demonstrated that the biggest issue with lineouts is the throwing by the hooker rather than the calling, lifting and jumping of the locks et al.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They said Hooper will be out for up to 4 weeks. He'll be back well in time for the Rugby Championship.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hooper's fitness might have a bearing on the backrow at the beginning of the RC. Is his injury a hammy, and how long will he likely be out?

Injuries will undoubtedly then contiue to play a role in the backrow makeup. I can see all of Samu , Timu, McMahon and Dempsey being called upon in the lead up to the RWC. I just don't think Hanigan offers as much as any of these in the back row. He must be destined for lock coverage I would think. And I also think the three tests v Ireland have demonstrated that the biggest issue with lineouts is the throwing by the hooker rather than the calling, lifting and jumping of the locks et al.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
"He was fine in game 1" isn't enough though in my opinion when Tui played bloody well starting and Samu has been good off the bench each time.

I wouldn't be benching Tui and starting Timu again in a hurry.

I also highly doubt we will see an end to the Pooper. Hooper will come back in to the starting side and Pocock will play 8. There's great balance there with Tui.
Absolutely BH - that’s a fair comment based on their performances. I’m certainly not expecting to see Timu selected for Hooper or Pocock.

I guess my comment reflects my thoughts that Timu brings stuff to the table that didn’t come out in the first test. If I’m right, then I expect Cheika will share that view from his close quarters experience. If I’m wrong, then you’re spot on and Timu will struggle for another look in - although I do think there is more scope for squad rotation over the course of the RC & EOYT then there was against Ireland in the recent series. Time will tell I guess.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
- although I do think there is more scope for squad rotation over the course of the RC & EOYT then there was against Ireland in the recent series. Time will tell I guess.

I agree with this. I would say most squad members will get a crack over the six tests. I'd expect Maddocks to debut during this period and probably Banks as well.

I expect our Rugby Championship squad will be almost identical to the June squad (pending injuries). It will presumably be named in a similar fashion to last year with an extended squad gathering whilst Super Rugby is still going and then get whittled down to about 33 for the first two Bledisloes and then have updates after each pair of tests.

TPN will come in and Fainga'a will drop out is the only near certain change (TPN coming in is certain).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree with this. I would say most squad members will get a crack over the six tests. I'd expect Maddocks to debut during this period and probably Banks as well.

I expect our Rugby Championship squad will be almost identical to the June squad (pending injuries). It will presumably be named in a similar fashion to last year with an extended squad gathering whilst Super Rugby is still going and then get whittled down to about 33 for the first two Bledisloes and then have updates after each pair of tests.

TPN will come in and Fainga'a will drop out is the only near certain change (TPN coming in is certain).
It's a shame Uelese got injured, our scrum going forward with him at hooker would be a very scary prospect for other teams. Could of also used his ability to get over the gain line with ball in hand. BPA was solid none the less and will be better for it. Front row going forward is going to be a massive strength

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's a shame Uelese got injured, our scrum going forward with him at hooker would be a very scary prospect for other teams. Could of also used his ability to get over the gain line with ball in hand. BPA was solid none the less and will be better for it. Front row going forward is going to be a massive strength
TPN then Latu is nothing to sniff at.

Hows this for potential impact off the bench:

Thor
Latu
Arnold
McMahon

Status
Not open for further replies.