• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep... with the exception of the last RWC, have we really benefited at all from selecting overseas based players?

I'm all for broadening the eligibility for overseas players, but those selections should only be carried out in RWC years and emergency situations, and preference always given to Australian based players.

If it happens only in RWC years then it gives all free license to go off shore and then be included in rugby’s showpiece. We will be competitive in WC years and most likely not in the others.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
If it happens only in RWC years then it gives all free license to go off shore and then be included in rugby’s showpiece. We will be competitive in WC years and most likely not in the others.
Yeah,I worry about how a team thrown together for 1 year would gel as a unit. They need to play together for a while to work on cohesion and structure, let alone leaving the coach no time to fine tune selections.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wish we had some visibility of who’s training with the wallabies at the moment. Trying to pick it up through social media. The usual lot plus I’ve think Richard Hardwick & Hamish Stewart. Quade is at the Crowne Plaza Coogee so could be there too?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Wish we had some visibility of who’s training with the wallabies at the moment. Trying to pick it up through social media. The usual lot plus I’ve think Richard Hardwick & Hamish Stewart. Quade is at the Crowne Plaza Coogee so could be there too?
Luke Jones is reportedly joining camp next week for photos, tailor appointment and such.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^
For real? LJ has been there before. BUT, Super rugby 2019 will be the most obvious place to audition and make a legitimate claim to get back, and imo same goes for all others who want to represent the green and gold jersey at WC!! (including AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)& khunt).Let the trials begin and may the best man run the gauntlet fearlessly :cool:. . good luck lads

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
^^
For real? LJ has been there before. BUT, Super rugby 2019 will be the most obvious place to audition and make a legitimate claim to get back, and imo same goes for all others who want to represent the green and gold jersey at WC!! (including AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)& khunt).Let the trials begin and may the best man run the gauntlet fearlessly :cool:. . good luck lads
Then you'll probably go bananas to know that QC (Quade Cooper) is also there ;D

It sounds like anyone that has half a chance of making the squad has been invited, for medicals, suit/uniform fittings, and photos.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wobbs, yeah I saw that of QC (Quade Cooper). I thought he had an ourstanding NRC campaign . So Il hold my judgement just yet and hope the newly appointed selectors(X2) bring their rugby brains not their mates requests.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wobbs, yeah I saw that of QC (Quade Cooper). I thought he had an ourstanding NRC campaign . So Il hold my judgement just yet and hope the newly appointed selectors(X2) bring their rugby brains not their mates requests.
Quade will be in the squad. Cheika said he would have been last year if he was playing Super rugby.

Only way i see him missing out is if Stewart has a blinder of a season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quade will be in the squad. Cheika said he would have been last year if he was playing Super rugby.

Only way i see him missing out is if Stewart has a blinder of a season.

I don’t know about that...........

Cheika left Quade out of the 2017 EOYT squad, and there were fewer flyhalf options then.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don’t know about that.....

Cheika left Quade out of the 2017 EOYT squad, and there were fewer flyhalf options then.
Well he was in career worst form.

Unless he has a terrible Super season, i think Cheika will select. Particularly given the subpar performances of Beale and To'omua when given a stab at the 10 jersey.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well he was in career worst form.

Unless he has a terrible Super season, i think Cheika will select. Particularly given the subpar performances of Beale and To'omua when given a stab at the 10 jersey.

So Mat To'omua has had 1&1/2 games at playing 10, compared to Beale and more so Foley(50+games) and thats a fair go to be judge 'subpar'? I think if Mat T had half the number of games Foley had at 10 he would be 50 times better at it then those 2 combined.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So Mat To'omua has had 1&1/2 games at playing 10, compared to Beale and more so Foley(50+games) and thats a fair go to be judge 'subpar'? I think if Mat T had half the number of games Foley had at 10 he would be 50 times better at it then those 2 combined.
And? he hasnt and wont be given half the number of games at 10 as Foley and so he wont be 50 times better at it come World Cup. What nonsense.

He doesn't need to be better than Foley anyway. Only better than QC (Quade Cooper). Which he won't be. Because QC (Quade Cooper) will be playing 10 for the Rebels while To'omua will be playing 12. His natural position.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
For those continually concerned about the captaincy, from Haskell & Tindall on the House of Rugby podcast (worth a listen)

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/james-haskell-england-captain-216741

"Right, half of the decisions making on the field, like kicking for goal and stuff like that, are dictated by the coaches. You see them going, 'Run the f***ing tee on! Get the tee on!', and you see the kicking coach come on.
"Ideally, there are 14 other people on the field who make the decisions [too]. If you listen to these people, you'd think we're trying to herd cats! Like if someone doesn't motivate us we'd go, 'Ohh, what are we here for?' It's not how it works.
"You have to have multiple leaders and it doesn't matter who tosses the coin. It doesn't matter as long as you've got other, stronger characters. And the beauty of this current English team is that there are a lot of guys now with a lot of experience.
"While it is important to have a figure-head... and that's why everyone got their knickers in a twist about co-captains. [Mimics voice] 'Well, I think you should just have one captain'. F**k off! You can have as many captains as you bloody want; it doesn't matter.
"Who's going to lead the team out? Who cares! It's about winning the game and making the right decisions on the field. And people get so bogged down about this.
"[It's] normally people who don't have a f***ing clue about rugby, who think, 'Oh, the captain is the most important person on the field'. It's not. [For England] you've got Billy speaking well, Maro speaking well, George Ford making the right decisions."

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Larkham moved upstairs

Dyh6Y81VsAAFrjA.jpg

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. On the one hand, Bernie hasn't exactly lit it up as a coach, but on the other, I can't help but feel that Cheik needs someone challenging him, because it aint working right now.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's also worth noting this:

Rugby Australia also confirmed today the departure of Qantas Wallabies Head of Athletic Preparation, Haydn Masters.

Masters resigned from his post after four seasons with the Wallabies, having previously worked under Michael Cheika in the victorious 2014 NSW Waratahs Super Rugby campaign.

Would be good to nab Dean Benton or John Pryor both very highly regarded.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. On the one hand, Bernie hasn't exactly lit it up as a coach, but on the other, I can't help but feel that Cheik needs someone challenging him, because it aint working right now.

I am surprised the defense and forwards coaches are still there as well, but the teams Larkham has coached have never been the most attack focussed groups

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am surprised the defense and forwards coaches are still there as well, but the teams Larkham has coached have never been the most attack focussed groups

the thing is, I don't think it is a sacking based on performance (maybe the S&C guy is). It seems just a personality thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.