• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So the squad size is likely to be 31 players, the same as it was in 2015.

In 2015, Cheika selected 3 hookers, 5 props, 5 locks, 6 backrowers, 2 halfbacks, 6 inside backs and 6 outside backs.

These guys are my certainties, with the contenders in brackets:

Hooker: No certainties (3 of TPN, Latu, BPA, Uelese, Fitzpatrick, Fainga'a, Rangi, Mafi)
Prop: Kepu, Sio, Tupou, Robertson, AAA
Locks: Coleman (4 of Arnold, Arnold, Philip, Simmons, Rodda, Tui, Holloway)
Backrowers: Hooper, Pocock (4 of Dempsey, McMahon, Hanigan, Tui, Timu, Samu, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Valentini, Naisirani, Higgers, RHP, Timani)
Halfbacks: Genia (1 of Phipps, Powell, Sorovi, Gordon)
Inside backs: Foley, Beale, Kerevi (3 of Hodge, Stewart, Cooper, Paia'aua, Kuridrani, Rona, Lance)
Outside backs: Folau, DHP, Koroibete (3 of Naivalu, Hodge, Rona, Maddocks, Banks, Speight)

The props are interesting there - can you see a scenario where any one of those five players misses out? I'm not sure I can.

Also the number of potential Wallabies in the backrow is staggering. A few really good players are going to miss out there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still think the wob 9 needs to be able to clear and box kick from the ruck - especially with Foley & Beale being the "hurl it back 20m to kick it 40m options"

So I would set the preferred 9 option behind Genia (and he needs work on his clearance) should be Raru and/or Gordon

Phipps or Powell are better forward driving options, but we need the kicking IMHO

But that won't happen

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH,

I see the unwanted "n" has reappeared in Valetini's name.;)

FP,

I know you will think I'm just being partial, but Joe Powell has quite a good kicking game. Just as good a box kick as others (none of them can land the ball where it can be contested) but probably a bit further than any of the others when kicking for distance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd guess barbarian left Uelese out accidentally.

I do think he is going to be hard pressed to make the RWC squad now though.

He's going to start 2019 as the fourth most experienced of the options and also returning from a major injury.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd guess barbarian left Uelese out accidentally.

I do think he is going to be hard pressed to make the RWC squad now though.

He's going to start 2019 as the fourth most experienced of the options and also returning from a major injury.
Which sucks because he seemed to have more potential than any of our other options behind TPN, including Latu.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the issues Ruru has is that he will be second string to Genia so, barring injury, will not be a regular starter.

I think it is likely Gordon & Phipps will continue to share the Tahs role.

Powell will, most likely, be a first pick so will get the benefit of regular/extended game time to progress.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can we hybrid a 9? Phipps' motor and defence, Powell's release (less egg-hatching though) and box kick, Gordon's snipe.........you get the picture. ;) Honestly have not seen enough of Ruru to have a major advantage over any of the others yet.
Jokes aside, I think, between Genia, Phipps and Powell, we're fine. Aaaand, good to have some other back-ups too.
Other positions are far more vexed, for mine.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
So the squad size is likely to be 31 players, the same as it was in 2015.

In 2015, Cheika selected 3 hookers, 5 props, 5 locks, 6 backrowers, 2 halfbacks, 6 inside backs and 6 outside backs.

These guys are my certainties, with the contenders in brackets:

Hooker: No certainties (3 of TPN, Latu, BPA, Uelese, Fitzpatrick, Fainga'a, Rangi, Mafi)
Prop: Kepu, Sio, Tupou, Robertson, AAA
Locks: Coleman (4 of Arnold, Arnold, Philip, Simmons, Rodda, Tui, Holloway)
Backrowers: Hooper, Pocock (4 of Dempsey, McMahon, Hanigan, Tui, Timu, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Valentini, Naisirani, Higgers, RHP, Timani)
Halfbacks: Genia (1 of Phipps, Powell, Sorovi, Gordon)
Inside backs: Foley, Beale, Kerevi (3 of Hodge, Stewart, Cooper, Paia'aua, Kuridrani, Rona, Lance)
Outside backs: Folau, DHP, Koroibete (3 of Naivalu, Hodge, Rona, Maddocks, Banks, Speight)

The props are interesting there - can you see a scenario where any one of those five players misses out? I'm not sure I can.

Also the number of potential Wallabies in the backrow is staggering. A few really good players are going to miss out there.

My take on your (great) prediction:
Hooker: TPN is a certainty, probably Latu and Uelese as the backups.
Prop: No changes needed.
Lock: Coleman, Rodda, Philip, Rory Arnold.
Backrow: Pocock, Hooper, McMahon, Dempsey, Hanigan, Timu. Maybe RHP to cover both backrow and lock too.
Halfback: Genia, Phipps, Powell. Powell to get no game time if there are no injuries.
Inside Backs: Foley, Beale, Kerevi, Hodge, Kuridrani, Rona.
Outside backs: Folau, DHP, Koroibete, Naivalu, Maddocks, Banks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Backrow: Pocock, Hooper, McMahon, Dempsey, Hanigan, Timu. Maybe RHP to cover both backrow and lock too.
Halfback: Genia, Phipps, Powell. Powell to get no game time if there are no injuries.

Tui does that and has played Test rugby. Philip too, and he's better than RHP. RHP instead is unlikely. Cannot see Tui not being picked.
EDIT - Aaanddd, can't see why they would pick Pocock, Hooper, McMahon and Dempsey. Some players will miss out.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Too many players.........

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With Kerevi out I’d think it’s highly likely Rona will start at 13 for the next test, or at least come on to the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RC, Samu dropped out of the 23 and the squad altogether? I agree with Cyclopath - Tui will definitely be there, probably as the fifth lock but more likely to play No 6. A couple of locks will need to be schooled in lineout calling, but that is just a matter of training and experience. Bring it on.

RWC always has a game or two where the fringe players like Powell will get game time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tui does that and has played Test rugby. Philip too, and he's better than RHP. RHP instead is unlikely. Cannot see Tui not being picked.
EDIT - Aaanddd, can't see why they would pick Pocock, Hooper, McMahon and Dempsey. Some players will miss out.
Dempsey has first play rugby again and meet the standards. Today I think there 3 likely (Hooper, Pocock and Tui) and others who might make it. And each of them have issues that need to be overcome

Further the back ups to me will be IMHO, an 8, a 6 and a 6/lock with both "6s" will need to be lineout options

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.