• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Squad - official

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Lee Grant said:
Good post formeropenside. They are my thoughts in retrospect after T. Smith's omission.

disco

Yeah Alexander has played there but he's more of a LHP who can fill in at THP from the bench, than a Kees Meuws type who can play both spots with equal facility.

I hoped that the Brumbies would have played him at THP more this year, even if it was just when Shepherdson got a rest.

Link was slated from hell to high water for signing Kepu who at the time was a loose head and thus leaving the Tahs with no back up Tight head cover. People seem to be a little bit more cautious in criticising Deans but I must say I found this a slightly strange decision.

I would have thought they would pick 5 props for this squad. Over the course of the international season at least one prop will be injured at some stage. Thus all remaining props will be in the match day squad and someone will have to be called up to provide emergency cover. Some might say they are leaving the door open for Dunning to return from injury but I would have thought that the Wallabies would have a better medical team/rehab training program than Eastwood.

Perhaps Deans has been told to cut costs and the cost of having a prop in camp was too much (think of all the extra food that would be required if Dunning was in the squad)

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
cyclopath said:
I find the omission of Caldwell puzzling. He has proved his mettle all year in set pieces, loose play and defence. What more can you want and what more can he do? He is the type of "no-frills" player we need, and I'd have thought Deans would favour (in the Brad Thorn mould).
For mine he has impressed more than Kimlin this year. I'm not anti-Kimlin at all, but hard to see how he justified the pick over Caldwell. Hope he gets a go at some stage.
Also not sure about Cowan, but front row play is more mysticism than science, so I won't get a headache trying to work that out!

Caldwell has played well, but I reckon Deans would want to see him being more dominant in contact. If you watch him closely, he goes to ground very quickly as a ball carrier, rarely getting a drive on over the top of defenders and is a passive rather than aggressive tackler as well. There is no room for those players in test rugby. The rest of his game seems very good and that is the only explanation I can think of.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cutter said:
cyclopath said:
I find the omission of Caldwell puzzling. He has proved his mettle all year in set pieces, loose play and defence. What more can you want and what more can he do? He is the type of "no-frills" player we need, and I'd have thought Deans would favour (in the Brad Thorn mould).
For mine he has impressed more than Kimlin this year. I'm not anti-Kimlin at all, but hard to see how he justified the pick over Caldwell. Hope he gets a go at some stage.
Also not sure about Cowan, but front row play is more mysticism than science, so I won't get a headache trying to work that out!

Caldwell has played well, but I reckon Deans would want to see him being more dominant in contact. If you watch him closely, he goes to ground very quickly as a ball carrier, rarely getting a drive on over the top of defenders and is a passive rather than aggressive tackler as well. There is no room for those players in test rugby. The rest of his game seems very good and that is the only explanation I can think of.
Sorry, for a minute I thought you were talking about Sharpe!
And I disagree, you don't need every forward to be a good seagull that carts it up over the advantage line and offloads all the time. You need some that just make the tackles, push well in scrums and secure lineout ball well. There's enough show-ponies in the selected forwards without Caldwell having to be.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Cutter said:
cyclopath said:

A passive tackler ? Caldwell is famous for putting big hits on. If anything its the opposite - that he concedes penalties, eg: the bullshit yellow card he got vs the Farce this year.

Caldwell was dead_set robbed like Riverview. What a farce.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
naza said:
Cutter said:
cyclopath said:

A passive tackler ? Caldwell is famous for putting big hits on. If anything its the opposite - that he concedes penalties, eg: the bullshit yellow card he got vs the Farce this year.

I'm going to back Cutter up, even though it goes against the Caldwell man-love that I've been contributing to.

In addition to what Cutter points out (can anyone remember a rampaging run from WC?), the key lineout options for the Tahs have been Mowen and Mumm. Will's ball work can also be sloppy in contact.

Has still had a legendary S14 season through sheer graft though.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
He never got the credit he deserved for that try Lachie Turner a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant work to latch on and ensure Turner got over the line. Not the first time he has done it either.

Perhaps Deans was watching the sound up and heard the Saffa commentators calling him Dean Mumm too much. Although when it was Mowen with the ball his name may have been mentioned while whenever Mumm had it they called him Mowen. In one game I was counting how many times they called the wrong player but gave up when it was 8 before 25 mins.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
the gambler said:
Perhaps Deans was watching the sound up and heard the Saffa commentators calling him Dean Mumm too much. Although when it was Mowen with the ball his name may have been mentioned while whenever Mumm had it they called him Mowen. In one game I was counting how many times they called the wrong player but gave up when it was 8 before 25 mins.

In putting his highlight vid together, it was the other way around last weekend. Caldwell scooped a lot of Mumms lineout takes and a fair few of his tackles as well.

I also had to take out a couple of his short hit ups as he spilt the ball in contact

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pek Cowan must surely be there to hold a tackle bag? If you want to pick a young prop with potential, Daley from the Reds is your first stop...

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
naza said:
Cutter said:
cyclopath said:

Caldwell might be famous for big hits but I havent seen too many this season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have him over Sharpe any time. Someone who actually works and doesn't just gull around.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Noddy said:
this may come up messy.

Richard Brown No.8 / Loose Forward Western Force 24 5
Pekahou Cowan Prop Western Force 22 Uncapped
Ryan Cross Centre Western Force 29 11
Matt Giteau Flyhalf Western Force 26 65
Matt Hodgson Loose Forward Western Force 27 Uncapped
Drew Mitchell Wing / Fullback Western Force 25 29
James O'Connor Fullback Western Force 18 1
David Pocock Flanker Western Force 21 2
Nathan Sharpe Lock Western Force 31 74
Josh Valentine Scrumhalf Western Force 26 4

Has this been mentioned? That's 10 Force players. That's more than any other state! Can we debate this in terms of the value of a 4th team?

Richard Brown - highly unlikely he would be in the squad had the 4th team not eventuated.
Pekahou Cowan - highly unlikely he would be in the squad had the 4th team not eventuated.
Ryan Cross - he didn't cross codes because of the Force, but would he have got the opportunities eslewhere?
Matt Giteau - he'd be in the squad regardless
Matt Hodgson - highly unlikely he would be in the squad had the 4th team not eventuated.
Drew Mitchell - more than likely would have been in the squad
James O'Connor - highly unlikely he would be in the squad had the 4th team not eventuated.
David Pocock - Its possible he would be in the squad, assuming he stayed at the Reds and took Croft's spot.
Nathan Sharpe - would have been in the squad.
Josh Valentine - a hard call. May have been in the squad? Maybe not.

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
Noddy said:
this may come up messy.

Richard Brown No.8 / Loose Forward Western Force 24 5
Pekahou Cowan Prop Western Force 22 Uncapped
Ryan Cross Centre Western Force 29 11
Matt Giteau Flyhalf Western Force 26 65
Matt Hodgson Loose Forward Western Force 27 Uncapped
Drew Mitchell Wing / Fullback Western Force 25 29
James O'Connor Fullback Western Force 18 1
David Pocock Flanker Western Force 21 2
Nathan Sharpe Lock Western Force 31 74
Josh Valentine Scrumhalf Western Force 26 4

Has this been mentioned? That's 10 Force players. That's more than any other state! Can we debate this in terms of the value of a 4th team?

Richard Brown - highly unlikely he would be in the squad had the 4th team not eventuated.
Pekahou Cowan - highly unlikely he would be in the squad had the 4th team not eventuated.
Ryan Cross - he didn't cross codes because of the Force, but would he have got the opportunities eslewhere?
Matt Giteau - he'd be in the squad regardless
Matt Hodgson - highly unlikely he would be in the squad had the 4th team not eventuated.
James O'Connor - highly unlikely he would be in the squad had the 4th team not eventuated.
David Pocock - Its possible he would be in the squad, assuming he stayed at the Reds and took Croft's spot.

I think Brown would have been a starter this year, and probably would have played some games last year also when Roe was injured. Its more likely Brown would have been picked up in 2007, instead of Houston.

Agreed. I'm not sure the Wallabies are hard up for LHP's though.

Yes, see Wendell and Lote, and Tahu. If you buy a high profile Mungo, you must play them. The Tahs would have loved a quality 13 for the last few years.

Matt Giteau - he'd be in the squad regardless [Agreed!]

Probably right. Maybe the tahs would have picked him up instead of Mowen, though. Again, 6 is not a problem area for Australian rugby.

Agreed, unfortunately.

Maybe, maybe not. He'd have played off the bench for Qld this year and last, which is what he did at the Force in 08. In any event, am I the only one concerned about blooding an 18 year old in Test rugby? This (and even S14) may not be the best for his development longer term.

Its likely, in fact. He'd have been playing off the bench for several years now, and getting serious game time.

Unfortunately.

He left a starting role at the Reds in what, 2006? If he had missed out, he only had himself to blame.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
NTA said:
Pek Cowan must surely be there to hold a tackle bag? If you want to pick a young prop with potential, Daley from the Reds is your first stop...

Right alongside Palmer from the Tahs I should add :) At least he's a THP!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
NTA said:

Right alongside Palmer from the Tahs I should add :) At least he's a THP!

I think Palmer is very unlucky not to be the one picked ahead of Cowan. Bloody good player. Needs a bit of size though.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
NTA said:
Have him over Sharpe any time. Someone who actually works and doesn't just gull around.
+1

Are we (me included) forgetting his form reversal on the EOYT?

I'm still not sure how, but he managed to pull a few quality grafting performances out of his arse. A completely different player.

Dingo and Jimbo need to dust off whatever it was they punched into him

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
NTA said:

What was I saying before I was interrupted? I forget :)

Has it occurred to anyone that Aussie Robbie has project positions as well as project players? the two are not the same.

S

Spook

I think we have to believe in the Dingo. Sheperdson had a great year and will be in the squad if Baxter gets damaged. However, god help us if he gets damaged during a match...who in the squad will come off the bench and play tighthead? I've never seen Alexander play there but maybe he can. :nta:

I would have had ejected Sharpe and picked Caldwell. Would have also had Mowen over Hodgson and Salvi over Waugh. I don't think Hynes deserves his spot. He's been ordinary this year.

Position 30 is being kept for Rocky.

Status
Not open for further replies.